Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got my 2004 about a month ago. Everything worked great then, even a trip to GA. and back(OH).
Now the top does not work. tried to use the manual cables only to find out previous owner broke both cables! Does anyone know who still makes these cables?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,570 Posts
Hi I got my 2004 about a month ago. Everything worked great then, even a trip to GA. and back(OH).
Now the top does not work. tried to use the manual cables only to find out previous owner broke both cables! Does anyone know who still makes these cables?
Not to imply anything but did they pull out, or just did not work, or you could not move them?

By the way, Welcome to the family. There are many in OHIO who might be able to help out. Please consider adding a thread to the New member Forum introducing yourself.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Welcome to the family BATSSR. Those cables aren't anything exotic but they won't solve your problem either. All they do is unlatch the tonneau cover to get into the top compartment manually.

You should go to "Tools" up top and the click on "User CP", then under "Your Profile" fill in "Edit Your Details". That way every time you post it'll show where you are, what you're driving, and if anyone is close who can help.

If you go here there are a bunch of threads about top problems. Read a couple of them and learn what questions the smart people are going to ask you about what happens when you try to operate the top. Do the windows go down, what do you hear, ad infinitum. If you have the answers we'll get you fixed up a lot faster. :thumbs

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,402 Posts
Simple check first. Vehicle running, in park, foot on brake before pushing button. Takes lots of battery power to run top and they didn't want you moving when doing it so that is why foot on the brake. Try that first before going to more complicated fixes. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It stopped after the windows went down, time out. thought the hydraulic fluid might have been low, I used the cables to release tonneau cover to get to the bottle. After reading some of the other members problems I thought I would start there.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
How far are you from Cuyahoga Falls Ohio? I’ve got spare release cables but hope you can open the cover now...not sure how you get into the compartment if the cables are broke!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,198 Posts
It stopped after the windows went down, time out. thought the hydraulic fluid might have been low, I used the cables to release tonneau cover to get to the bottle. After reading some of the other members problems I thought I would start there.
Can you hear the roof compartment cover (GM calls it the Tonneau cover) unlatch on each side? If this is the case, the compartment lid is unlatched and ready for you to lift by hand. Again, assuming this is the case, you will most likely find that one of the micro switches on the lid release (one on each side) is stuck in the “depressed” position. When you depress the button and the windows go down, do you hear the “snap” - “snap” of the latches unlocking just before it stops operating????

How far are you from Cuyahoga Falls Ohio? I’ve got spare release cables but hope you can open the cover now...not sure how you get into the compartment if the cables are broke!
To get into the compartment if the cables are broken and the roof is “up” only requires a little patience and a 1/4” drive 10mm socket wrench. You merely unbolt the black forked lid bracket on each side. You know...... the one that always seems to get you in the noggin when you are working in the roof compartment.

Regards,

Mike

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,570 Posts
To get into the compartment if the cables are broken and the roof is “up” only requires a little patience and a 1/4” drive 10mm socket wrench. You merely unbolt the black forked lid bracket on each side. You know...... the one that always seems to get you in the noggin when you are working in the roof compartment.

Regards,

Mike
You reach those bolts through the space behind the seats near the roof. Slide the seats all the way forward and hold the backs out of the way with the visors.

Reactions: mikebike

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,286 Posts
............. tried to use the manual cables only to find out previous owner broke both cables! Does anyone know who still makes these cables?
Are you sure that your cables are broken or are they just pulled free of the bulkhead wall. I’ve seen several R’s where someone has tried to use the roof tonneau cover cables and they pulled them free of the cable mounts in the wall. To use the cables, you insert the roof tool into the loop of the correct cable and pull toward front of the truck AND slightly upward (upward at 45 degrees as per owners manual). The cables are held into slots in the bulkhead wall and secured there by a plastic strip adhered to the wall. If you pull downward, you can pull the strip free and the cables will release from their slots. Also, you need to pull slowly and steadily as you are pulling against hydraulic fluid in the latch cylinders, and remember you must release each side (driver and passenger side) separately. Cables marked with GREEN ferrule to open tonneau cover, cables with RED ferrule to latch tonneau cover closed.

The plastic strips that secure the roof cables are usually hidden behind the bulkhead carpet, but in the picture attached below you can see the cables and retainer strip.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I finally got the top to go up (on its own) but the cover does not close. I did notice that there was fluid coming out of the right side cylinder. Could that be why the cover does not close the top compartment? Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was incorrect in saying the cables were broken, the loops on the left side are broken and frayed.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,570 Posts
Okay, I finally got the top to go up (on its own) but the cover does not close. I did notice that there was fluid coming out of the right side cylinder. Could that be why the cover does not close the top compartment? Thanks for all the help so far.
absolutely! It is also an indication that you should replace ALL 8 Hydraulic cylinders in the roof system as well as the 2 pneumatic helpers cylinders. Check out Dicktator's DIY Link for more information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got my cylinder back and was wandering if there is another hydraulic fluid other than the GM recommended?

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,370 Posts
I just got my cylinder back and was wandering if there is another hydraulic fluid other than the GM recommended?
You can get this at Advance Auto, Dicktator recommends it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Hollister SSR & James Dean, I'll be headed there in the morning. I need my roadster back on the road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts