Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I’m new to the forum having only had my SSR since August. I keep her garaged in the NY area which is now having cold temps. This morning i tried to take her out for a ride and when I went to put into reverse it appears the gear is locked out! I tried also with the engine off and she still won’t go into the reverse gear.
Have any of you experienced this before and if so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Some time ago when I first got my 6 sp it would not easily go into reverse and went into 5th gear instead. Tried it a few times, each time it happened, and it went in reverse. Don't know if this is because I was not pushing it hard enough to the right or what. Anyway, doubt you have a mechanical problem, [not a mechanic] so stick with it and hopefully you will work it out. I must have gotten into a "zone", and was just not shifting it correctly. Hasn't happened in a while. Go drive it if weather permits. We 6 speeders know there is nothing like it! Bill

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi all
I’m new to the forum having only had my SSR since August. I keep her garaged in the NY area which is now having cold temps. This morning i tried to take her out for a ride and when I went to put into reverse it appears the gear is locked out! I tried also with the engine off and she still won’t go into the reverse gear.
Have any of you experienced this before and if so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Yes, I had the reverse solenoid fail on mine. It has a fairly stout coil spring, internally, that can be defeated with significant pressure. I'm talking about 2 hands on the handle and really give it a shove! If that works then you need a new solenoid or you can disassemble and modify the coil spring as I did on mine. Mine is purely manual now with slightly more side pressure required than stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the good info! I have however upon ur feedback tried to force my truck into reverse gear (2) hands and all with no luck. I have tried this both with truck running and also off! it’s just plain not going into the reverse gear!
Any other ideas are welcome!!
Thanks
Pacsun822

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Mine used to be stubborn going into reverse occasionally (better since rebuild).
Try rocking the truck back and forth a bit while putting it in reverse (you’ll probably need someone to help push/pull).

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the good info! I have however upon ur feedback tried to force my truck into reverse gear (2) hands and all with no luck. I have tried this both with truck running and also off! it’s just plain not going into the reverse gear!
Any other ideas are welcome!!
Thanks
Pacsun822
Are you able to move the shifter, right, into the reverse gate, but not upward into reverse? If so, then you have an internal trans problem. If you're not getting the lever far enough right to enter the reverse gate, then it's the reverse solenoid and you should be able to defeat that with enough pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts