Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used this. Have You? What do you think? Anyone do an oil analysis before and after? Is there value to it protecting older engines as a preventative?

fltsfshr

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,116 Posts
I've used this. Have You? What do you think? Anyone do an oil analysis before and after? Is there value to it protecting older engines as a preventative?

fltsfshr
It is a mystery to me! Define Older Engines, please

Reactions: Dicktator

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,201 Posts
The only thing I've used it for is Gasoline additive. I never liked putting anything in the crankcase except Oil----NOT even STP (syrup o_O) in the '60's:cool:

Nick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I've used in my older cars and farm equipment. Older defined by 60's leaded gasoline engines. Never had any issues and felt like it helped keep internals coated when not being used on regular basis. Just empirically speaking and not scientifically proven. Now with all the additives, detergents and synthetics not sure if necessary but I keep it handy in the garage and occasionally use with my higher mileage vehicles. Ounce of prevention theory!

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
(y)
It does serve a lot of purposes. The "go to" if you have an air compressor and sometimes use air tools. Couple of drops down in the fitting where the hose attaches and you're good to go. Lots of applications where you might need a light weight oil.

Another posting this week that chatted about fuel rails.......how to remove and replace. Marvels Mystery Oil is a perfect source for coating those O Rings when reinstalling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just stepped out to the barn. Looks like I've been using MotorKote as of late. Sorry guys for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
778 Posts

fltsfshr
There are several well done dissertations on the web about MMO and I would recommend reading a couple as there is more to the formulation than meets the eye, and strong but differing opinions on it's use as an additive. My own experience goes back a long way. As a youth hanging around my grandfather's shop I can remember seeing the cans but I think the primary purpose there was as air tool oil, I don't know if proprietary formulations even existed at that time for that purpose. By the mid seventies I was in the high end European auto repair business with a German(Munich) Immigrant whose dad, originally from Austria, was a PHD chemist who worked for United States Steel Agrichemicals. You can thank Dr. Wiesboeck for your Lithium battery tools, EV cars, etc. as some of his patents involved the development of that technology. They were having a 4th of July Bar-B-Que at their place and Dr. W returned from having filled up his '64 Buick Skylark and proceeded to pour a can of MMO into the tank. I asked about that & he said he had used it for many years as a fuel additive to provide upper cylinder lubrication & that it worked. The car at that time had way over 100K & was in perfect shape. At that time you could even add a MMO injector below your carb that provided a metered amount to the intake charge using manifold vacuum as the pump. From that day on I used MMO in my vehicles, even my inboard boat by adding about 4oz with a fillup to the tank. I had a '68 Chevy C-10 & a '70 Porsche 914-6. I had occasion to pull the heads on the Porsche to clean up & check the guides & replace valve stem seals. I was amazed, all surfaces washed by the intake charge shone like mirrors and the bronze guides showed no wear!
I was sold & continued to use MMO in all of my pre catalytic converter vehicles, keeping lots of 4oz plastic bottles of the stuff for that purpose, it was cheaper to buy by the gallon. Modern synthetic oils & better control of machining clearances have sort of obviated the need for a top end lubricant so a few years back I stopped using it. If I had an older carbureted or Hi Perf non-catalyst vehicle I would probably take up the practice again.
My story $.02

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,793 Posts
I have used Marvel Mystery Oil as a stabilizing additive to gasoline in my boat for 10 years. My boat has a carberated Mercruiser/Chev Engine. The boat sits in a non A/C garage in Arizona all summer. The temp inside the garage in the summer I'm sure reaches 140+ degrees. I was using Sta-bil as a fuel stabilizer, and every fall encountered problems with gummed up carb and skunky fuel. A friend of a friend who has been servicing boats in Arizona for over 50 years, told me to throw away the Sta-bil, and use Marvel Mystery Oil. I started using it and haven't had a problem since. One of our SSR Fanatics @Troy Toy could pipe in here. Sandy is very knowledgable when it comes to this stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I have used Marvel Mystery Oil as a stabilizing additive to gasoline in my boat for 10 years. My boat has a carberated Mercruiser/Chev Engine. The boat sits in a non A/C garage in Arizona all summer. The temp inside the garage in the summer I'm sure reaches 140+ degrees. I was using Sta-bil as a fuel stabilizer, and every fall encountered problems with gummed up carb and skunky fuel. A friend of a friend who has been servicing boats in Arizona for over 50 years, told me to throw away the Sta-bil, and use Marvel Mystery Oil. I started using it and haven't had a problem since. One of our SSR Fanatics @Troy Toy could pipe in here. Sandy is very knowledgable when it comes to this stuff.
(y)
On a (per gallon) basis, about how much MMO are you adding to the fuel???

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I recalled that I told Gordy about this product which was recommended by a carburetor rebuilder in Lake Havasu where my boat is stored. Add approx 1oz to 1-2 gal of gas & to both chambers of the Holley carb during winter storage.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,193 Posts
It is a mystery to me! Define Older Engines, please
Anything that originally was designed to use a Carburetor!
Modern day engines especially OHC have much tighter clearances and tolerances, better materials and require modern synthetic oils. No additives to oil are needed anymore and the only gasoline additives needed are to clean the fuel system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts