Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 Check Engine Light comes on during heavy acceleration. I bought a code reader and found that the problem was with the Mass Air Sensor and both sides were running lean.

QUESTIONS:

1- Are these problems related?

2- Can the MASS AIR SENSOR be cleaned or does it have to be replaced.

3- If it has to be replaced is there a step by step set of instructions in the Forum that shows how to do it?

4-What would I clean it with?

Thank you

John

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mass Air Flow

The sensor can be cleaned, but do it carefully. Purchase a can of mass airflow cleaner at your favorite parts store, it is kind of expensive, (8-10 bucks) but one can will last you a long time. The sensor is easy to remove and clean. I clean mine every time I change the air filter and I use the dirty air filter to set the MAF on and spray it thoroughly, being extra careful not to let the plastic tube touch any of the wires. Once you have the air filter box open, just loosen the clamps on the MAF and remove the single electrical connector.

I hope this fixes your code, it did mine.

:yellow:

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
The MAF gets contaminated with oil from the crankcase vent just in front of it. I use brake parts cleaner to rinse it off.
Do not touch or damage the very very small wires that are there else you'll be buying a new one.

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
My 04 Check Engine Light comes on during heavy acceleration. I bought a code reader and found that the problem was with the Mass Air Sensor and both sides were running lean.

QUESTIONS:

1- Are these problems related?

2- Can the MASS AIR SENSOR be cleaned or does it have to be replaced.

3- If it has to be replaced is there a step by step set of instructions in the Forum that shows how to do it?

4-What would I clean it with?

Thank you

John
I bought a brand new Mass Air Sensor for mine at Amazon.com. It was $100.00 and I installed it myself! Very easy to install.
Parts dealers wanted $300.00 for the same Delphi part!

:black: :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that I am probably over thinking this (retired engineer problem!) but is the MAF the first module closest to the air filter?

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
I think that I am probably over thinking this (retired engineer problem!) but is the MAF the first module closest to the air filter?
Yes! The part number in Delphi AF10043. You can go to Amazon.com and read my review under the name Chevy SSR1.
PS-I cleaned it a couple times and ending up changing mine after the cleaning did not work for long!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oil contamination

You guys that are using the K&N oil soaked filter I think are finding out what happens to the sensor when exposed to an oily environment.I took mine out years ago and threw it as far as I could.I found that the Amsoil dry filter is the best choice for me.It fits right into the stock housing.I havn't had to clean my Massflo sensor in years.Just my opinion,I'm sure there are other options.Iv'e got a nearly full can of cleaner for sale cheap. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
You guys that are using the K&N oil soaked filter I think are finding out what happens to the sensor when exposed to an oily environment.I took mine out years ago and threw it as far as I could.I found that the Amsoil dry filter is the best choice for me.It fits right into the stock housing.I havn't had to clean my Massflo sensor in years.Just my opinion,I'm sure there are other options.Iv'e got a nearly full can of cleaner for sale cheap. ;)
Thanks for the heads up! I never did spring for a K&N!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Removed and cleaned the mass air sensor. Only problem was removing the electical connector. The were two clips on the plug, grey and black, and I removed them to get the connector off. Was this necessary and if not is there a trick to remove the connector? I will be testing the SSR in the morning. I hope that this corrects the problem.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Removed and cleaned the mass air sensor. Only problem was removing the electical connector. The were two clips on the plug, grey and black, and I removed them to get the connector off. Was this necessary and if not is there a trick to remove the connector? I will be testing the SSR in the morning. I hope that this corrects the problem.
Slide grey clip up, depress black tab that grey clip locked from moving, remove connector.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Most common spray cleaners leave a coating on the parts from the additives left after the alcohol evaporates (often seen as a white residue). Brake cleaners are better because they are solvent based rather than alcohol based and don't dry so rapidly, but they still leave some of the residue. Using the wrong one can damage the MAF sensor. Ever notice the "Throttle Body" cleaner setting next to the "Carburator" on the self? That's the difference, as carbureted engines don't usually have MAF sensors to worry about. You can also use an "Electronics" specific cleaner if you're in a pinch.

There's a lot more to all this than I am stating here, but then I have a habit of rambling on too long. Observe the above and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: SJA

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I do use the K&N's without issues, but the most common mistake is over-oiling. Oil spreads across the filter over time. There is no need to fully coat the entire surface after cleaning.

Reactions: SJA

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,119 Posts
Slide grey clip up, depress black tab that grey clip locked from moving, remove connector.
Art is following the official, correct procedure......

There is a shortcut to removing the connector, though. You can slip a small flat screwdriver into the gap under the connector skirt (closest to the MAF sensor) on the side with the lock and gently lift the lock. The connector will slip off without any effort. Use a flashlight the first time to peek into the area under the connector skirt...... You'll see the lock right there. Piece of cake.

If you want to follow the correct procedure, though, use Art's....

Mikey

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info. It was easy to do with the inputs I received on this site. The wires inside the MAF were coated but it came off right away as I was spraying them with the MAF cleaner. It did not appear to be dirty anywhere but on the wires. Do you think that this was enough to cause a code for the Mass Air sensor and right and left lean condition? I did not notice a crankcase vent in front of the MAF as described by hdflstf.

Thanks again for all of your valuable inputs.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts