Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked for performance parts for my 2004 SSR on a number of sites. Some claim that changing the Mass Air Sensor will gain about 5 HP. Does anyone have experiance with this and is it worth the $250.00?

Smokin Asphalt 2004
Sailor:nodno
 

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
Sailor said:
I have looked for performance parts for my 2004 SSR on a number of sites. Some claim that changing the Mass Air Sensor will gain about 5 HP. Does anyone have experiance with this and is it worth the $250.00?

Smokin Asphalt 2004
Sailor:nodno
I'm not a performance expert by any stretch, but I think a lot of these advertised HP claims have the placebo effect....gee I just spent 250 bucks...sure it feels faster. I really doubt you could feel 5 HP one way or the other even if it worked.:)
The same can be said about MPG enhancing devices...we want to think it works...we spent our money for it....just human psychology at work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Sailor - The gains from the new MAF are very small and the new MAF is very hard to tune as compared to your stock MAF. The best thing you can do with your MAF is to just descreen it and it will improve as much as the $250.00 aftermarket MAF's. I did a thread in the tech section about 6 months ago about descreening the MAF, trimming the PCV adapter and changing the air filter. Do a search and it will give some good information for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Sailor - The gains from the new MAF are very small and the new MAF is very hard to tune as compared to your stock MAF. The best thing you can do with your MAF is to just descreen it and it will improve as much as the $250.00 aftermarket MAF's. I did a thread in the tech section about 6 months ago about descreening the MAF, trimming the PCV adapter and changing the air filter. Do a search and it will give some good information for you.
I thought on the 2003-2004(5.3L) the MAF dosent have the screen?



Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
$250.........

ssr blur said:
I'm not a performance expert by any stretch, but I think a lot of these advertised HP claims have the placebo effect....gee I just spent 250 bucks...sure it feels faster. I really doubt you could feel 5 HP one way or the other even if it worked.:)
The same can be said about MPG enhancing devices...we want to think it works...we spent our money for it....just human psychology at work.

If you want to throw away $250.00.......I'll give you my address and you can throw it this way...........Did you know my Rear Spoilers increase HP by 20 hp and torque by 25 ftlbs:glol :glol :glol :glol And the Hood Scoop can account for up to 35 hp........:glol :glol :smash Alot of this advertising is a lot of hog wash......Thats my feeling........Over 50 years of experience, listening to this crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I think I'd go with 2005SSR6Speed on this one. I haven't read much about SSR MAFs, but I have read 100s of posts on the Vette forums on this same issue, and my personal opinion is that you are better off spending your money elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
wasted

I bought a Grannatelli MAF last year and it advertized something like 15-20 hp and quicker throttle response.
All it did was throw a lean burn code 71 on both left and right banks.This was in cojunction with a Crane cams micro tuner.
I removed it shortly after the install. Anyone want to buy one?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top