Chevy SSR Forum banner

Who will be the May 2023 Ride of the Month - Out and About?

• Stlhotrod - post #3

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • 04 PurpleHaze - post #8

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • bluenoser - post #14

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • copper799 - post #17

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • prestcottHills - post #18

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Garris1 - post #20

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Legallyblonde0626 - post #22

Votes: 5 10.6%

May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About

7K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  kurtiswj 
#1 · (Edited)
As of 26 MAY 2023 - 7:23 CDT the poll is open!
Here are the links directly to the participants entries:

Stlhotrod - May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About
04 PurpleHaze - May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About
bluenoser - May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About
copper799 - May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About
PrescottHills - May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About
Garris1 - May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About
Legallyblonde026 - May 2023 SSR Photo Challenge - Out and About
shakatak - Withdrawn on 28 MAY 2023. Removed from poll.

Original post follows below:

Welcome to our first grassroots ROTM challenge. This is the first in what we hope are many challenges that will be run by the members.
  • Rules of the Month:
    • One personally taken picture of your R at least 100 miles or 1 hour from home and tell us where it was taken.
    • A write up of why your R should be considered as ROTM can be added with your picture or later on In this thread (e.g. In keeping with the theme, years owned, modifications, etc.)
    • Entries are limited to new potential winners only. No previous ROTM winners this month please.
  • Solicitation of votes should be done in this thread
  • A first place tie will be resolved by coin flip witnessed by another fanatic (in person or virtually).
  • Basic Rules:
    • Members MUST have at least 20 posts.
    • Voting will take place towards the end of the month.
  • If you should win:
    • You are responsible for setting the ”Rules of the Month” for the following month - Please keep it simple and open to any fanatic.
    • If the “rules of the month” aren’t chosen within a week of when you win, they will be chosen by another member (e.g. active fanatic, or a previous winner, etc) so we can setup the thread for the next month. I'll reach out to the winner via a Conversation, so that I can setup the following month.
    • If you've won, you cannot enter that R for the rest of the year (at least, it depends upon the Rules of the Month); however, if you have a second SSR that meets the criteria, you can enter that R.
  • What do you “win”?
    • Bragging rights - For example: My SSR was ROTM - April 2023
    • Badge on your profile. - Thank you @Marc NY
    • Most importantly - Seeing others Rs, what they’ve done with them, showing your own and the camaraderie we experience as being a member of this forum

Example for this month:
<I have no idea what happened to the picture, as it is still attached but no longer shows up>
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle

This picture was taken on our first trip to Stonehenge a number of years ago in Ingram, Texas. It was a great trip with what became our favorite traveling partners and likely where the phrase, "Follow the red truck" was coined.

See less See more
#3 ·
I will jump right in and only fitting to post my first SSR. My black 04 that was given to me by my wife for Christmas in 2017. This picture was taken at the Welcome Center in Texas at State Highway 69/75 as you come into Texas from Oklahoma. It was a Saturday around 5 pm when this was taken. This was the longest trip I had taken in this one at this time.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

I told my wife I was going to go pick up some parts and would be back later. She asked where I was going and I said a little south of Springfield. The reason for the little white lie was if I told her I was going to Texas, she would have wanted to go along and visit her parents who lived in Texas then but we were both still in Missouri.

I had seen an add for a pair of running boards on Face Book Market place. The picture was kind of bad. It showed the end of the boxes stacked one on top of the other. The description was not very well written something along the lines of side steps with the part numbers and the picture of the box only. No pictures of the boards them selves.

I messaged the guy for a better picture and sure enough a pair of NOS in the box boards. I asked if I could pick them up the next day around 6-6:30. He said sure. I sent him a message the next morning around 7:30 sending him my phone number. He got it and responded with "Dude that is a Missouri number you know I am in Texas?" I said yeah so I can be there around 6 will that work? He said yeah and off I went.

My 04 is pretty much stock, except I upgraded the hood to struts ones off @oldxr parts truck, along with the wiper arms. I swapped the door panels to later versions from some I bought from Cleveland. I updated the air cleaner to the 05 air cleaner.

It also had some interior trim pieces upgraded with new satin parts and some weather strips I got from Mike Byers.

This truck got me started and I still have it, but drive it less then my Blur. It rides good on stock suspension, upgraded with new shocks, upper control arms, Trail Blazer 4 bolt cross bar, Cooling system upgrades. It has an after market fan and all new hoses. I thought about selling it but I still have it.

And as for my wife giving it to me for Christmas. Well she went to the dealer and signed the paper work for it, but did not put any money down on it. She said I owed my mother in law $1000 for the title and taxes. Merry Christmas.

#20 · (Edited)
This picture of our 2005 six-speed R was taken on trip along Skyline Drive in western Virginia to experience the autumn colors in the foothills of the Appalachians.

We've had the R for nearly four years. Our first big trip was to bring it home from Tampa. Our first stop was to visit with @Dicktator and Kathy for several hours in Clearwater, receiving excellent counsel on SSRs. From there we went south to Venice, Ft. Myers, then to Orlando, Hernando, and Ocala before heading back to Maryland, a 1,600 mile trip. Living in Maryland was the first time the R ever had a front license plate. And that will end when we soon register it in North Carolina. Prior to going to Tampa, it lived in North Carolina. So it's back home, sorta.

We've added 28,000 to the odometer since purchasing it.

It's mostly original with only improvements to the look of the factory wheels.

#22 · (Edited)
When you don't want door dings. Taken at Road America during the Vintage Car road races in Elkhart Lake, WI. 2005 pretty much stock. We bought it May 14, 2019 with 51,897 miles and we currently have 90,717 miles. She loves road trips and by the miles we average 9,727 miles per year. Just had her ceramic coated and she sure does shine.

#26 ·
Bumping this back to the top. Come on Folks get involved and participate. If you don't things like this will fade away. Being the R of the Month is bragging rights. If it fades away the new members will never know about it.

So pick your favorite story, pick your favorite color, heck I don't care if you pick a number out of a hat, just please be involved and keep this feature going.

This is something for the members, so step up and vote, maybe next month you will be in the running. And as a bonus the winner gets to pick the next months idea so get involved and be a part of something as big as this. VOTE.

#27 ·
Hello All
It has been brought to my attention that I may have violated the rules for this contest.
Back in May of 2017 my SSR won the old ROTM contest, I missed the rule that said you could not have been a past ROTM winner, and only caught the part that states you could not have won in the past year.

So please disregard my photos and vote for the others.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Maybe the Themes can change but the rules remain the same for future ROTM's.

Good luck to all who have entered, may the best Photo win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.