Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE - 4-sale thread now up and running - check it out http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22/leather-wraps-padding-panache-interior-door-pull-handles-4-sale-236418/

I am contemplating making a padded black leather wrap for the interior door pull/handle; that long silver bar that you grab, while seated, to close the door. You also rest your elbow on it when driving. I was thinking, it would be nice to have a padded piece there. It would easily snap into place. The piece could also be used as a seatbelt cushion along the front chest area.
I think I'll make it about 5+" long
And the width. I'm guessing 6" would have it wrap around and overlap to snap together. Can I just measure and fit it to a seatbelt width?
Thanks for your help.
And also your feedback, if this piece is desirable and worth making. :nerd:

see post 21 for more info

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I am contemplating making a padded black leather wrap for the interior door pull/handle; that long silver bar that you grab, while seated, to close the door. You also rest your elbow on it when driving. I was thinking, it would be nice to have a padded piece there. It would easily snap into place. The piece could also be used as a seatbelt cushion along the front chest area.
I need to know how long it should be - 10"? 11"? 12"?
And also the width. I'm guessing 6" would have it wrap around and overlap to snap together. Can I just measure and fit it to a seatbelt width?
Thanks for your help. And also your feedback, if this piece is desirable and worth making. :nerd:
Sandy

Mike in AZ has them on his website:

SSR Seat Belt Cover Pad

However, this is what I’m using and I quite like them:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-shoulder-pad-black-ac711-22-1-3324/25984520-P

I could measure mine if you would like?

Rope

·
Spirited driver!
1,407 Posts
The ones Mike had have been out of stock for months. I would be interested in a set. Are you planning to put a logo on it? That would be preferred for me.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
Hi Sandy.....

Hope all is going good for you guys. We miss you.

I have re-engaged the original supplier to get me a new batch of the black cloth covers with the embroidered logo. I don't know when they will be arriving, but certainly not in the next couple weeks......

There is LOTS of room for you to jump into this. I've seen a couple pads done in leather and they look great.

I have a couple cloth pads that I can send you to use for pattern work and would be happy to send you one of the two-part door pulls to get the exact size. I'll also share the "lessons learned" in the last few years about what works and what doesn't. Just send me a PM with the "ship to" address and I'll put a package in the mail for you.

Regards,

Mike

·
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks everyone for the replies :thumbs
Sandy

Mike in AZ has them on his website:

SSR Seat Belt Cover Pad

However, this is what I’m using and I quite like them:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-shoulder-pad-black-ac711-22-1-3324/25984520-P

I could measure mine if you would like?

Rope
I had been checking Mike's inventory, knowing that Delma Lou had released them to him, but noticed in the last while they were out of stock.
That link for the Autocraft piece is great. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking - black leather with a woolly sheepskin padding. My price was gonna be about $10 without any SSRness added to it, and more $ with.
The ones Mike had have been out of stock for months. I would be interested in a set. Are you planning to put a logo on it? That would be preferred for me.
I wasn't sure how I would add SSR/colours to them. I cringe thinking about embroidering leather; it basically perforates it and that could lead to it falling apart! And with Advance Auto selling plain ones, that seems silly for me to add more to the plain pool. And now Mike says he will be back up and running with them soon.....
Hope all is going good for you guys. We miss you.

I have re-engaged the original supplier to get me a new batch of the black cloth covers with the embroidered logo. I don't know when they will be arriving, but certainly not in the next couple weeks......

There is LOTS of room for you to jump into this. I've seen a couple pads done in leather and they look great.

I have a couple cloth pads that I can send you to use for pattern work and would be happy to send you one of the two-part door pulls to get the exact size. I'll also share the "lessons learned" in the last few years about what works and what doesn't. Just send me a PM with the "ship to" address and I'll put a package in the mail for you.

Regards,

Mike
Great to hear from you Mike. Thanks for the offer, very generous. But if you are going to run with them again I'm kinda on the fence now. Personally I like yours because of the embroidery :)

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
Hey Sandy,

I saw a pair that Jack Pruitt (jactag450) had on his SSR doors. They were a single layer of black leather with the SSR embroidered, but without padding. Nice tight fit and the embroidery was spot on. If you can find a way to make them from leather, It would be fabulous.

I'll still be happy to send you a door pull....

Mikey :jester

·
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey Sandy,

I saw a pair that Jack Pruitt (jactag450) had on his SSR doors. They were a single layer of black leather with the SSR embroidered, but without padding. Nice tight fit and the embroidery was spot on. If you can find a way to make them from leather, It would be fabulous.

I'll still be happy to send you a door pull....

Mikey :jester
ahhh, so temping to start playing around with this......but how can I make it special? You know, the turnheadz magical/technically perfect touch :x I do have some SS ribbon. I have attached a picture as I'm pretty sure no one has ever seen such a thing.
stainless steel ribbon side.jpg stainless steel ribbon edge.jpg

Mikey - if you mail me the door pull, I could give it back to you in March when we see you and Debbie in Laughlin >:)

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts

·
Crazy Horse
659 Posts
Pads

I think I'll make it about 5+" long
And the width. I'm guessing 6" would have it wrap around and overlap to snap together. Can I just measure and fit it to a seatbelt width?
Thanks for your help.
And also your feedback, if this piece is desirable and worth making. :nerd: I have started a list of fanatics interested in a set.

Interested:
PokerGuy
Quicksilver
I bought these but red and black then had them embroidered.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X959PQB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got this since the ssr covers are not currently available. cost $10.79
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-SHOULDER-PADS-SEAT-BELT-2PCS-CAMARO-IMPALA-MALIBU-SS-Z28-CHEVROLET-SP06/263250193730?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
there are several other generic chevy covers on ebay
right on, and I think that's why I may not go that route - it's been done; over and over .... Nice, but I need to do it different. Unlike anything made before :lol

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,347 Posts
right on, and I think that's why I may not go that route - it's been done; over and over .... Nice, but I need to do it different. Unlike anything made before :lol
And you do a wonderful job of making it unique. Keep up the good work. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Sandy, I think a nice leather un-padded door pull would be nice. A sung fit without the squishy feel. Just my $.02

Mark

·
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And you do a wonderful job of making it unique. Keep up the good work. It is appreciated.
:grouphug
Sandy, I think a nice leather un-padded door pull would be nice. A sung fit without the squishy feel. Just my $.02

Mark
I'm leaning that way too. I think I'll forgo the sheepskin type wooly lining that is, as you say, squishy :lol I have another lining in mind that is much thinner yet still has a padded property about it. I think you'll like it. Thanks for the input :yesnod

·
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
door pull - UPS tracking in progress :D
the part is in Canada and should be in my hands tomorrow :willy: I bought some of the thin padding piece for the rear side and it's better than I had first thought. So this plan is starting to take place !! I sure hope fanatics take a liking to them

·
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks to Mike In AZ, I have the actual door pull in hand. It makes the custom fit so much more precise eh. :) So, now I'm working on that idea. They will be offered in pairs and I think I'll have two different models to choose from. Mikey will have a pair to model (ha ha ha, that reminds me of a certain gift/pair that Mikey got from tickledpink some years ago!). I will start a thread, in the SSR parts for sale section, when everything is finalized. :purple: :ssr :blur: :yellow: :black: :silver: :blue:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts