Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all my parts arrived for Hotrod. Had some time off and got every upgrade installed. The library and how to articles were awesome!
New.
Kenwood nav radio with Sirius xm.
New white face gauge cluster and new stepper motors
New fan and shroud from Simple Engin.
New frame stiffener from Simple Engin.
ABS heat shroud.
Trailblazer frame crossmember
Everything fit perfectly!!
Thanks for all the knowledge base and experience!!
It helped soooo much!!!
Happy new year! And I hope to make a SSR meet very soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66Cobra, I installed the receiver myself, as with all the other upgrades.
I followed the directions in the how to articles. HUGE help !
I did not cut the dash either at the Airbag mount or near the vents as suggested.
Once the hard plastic dash came off around the airbag upon initial removal. I was able to push the heat ducts out of the way enough to get a small 1/4 inch ratchet with a 10mm deep socket on the 2 upper nuts on the airbag.
It took quite a while, at an 1/8 of a turn of the ratchet in that tight space, but it was worth it to me, to not have to cut the dash or trim it.
upon re assembly, the plastic dash popped back in and the airbag slides in when you are all done and is secured with the bottom 2 bolts only.
I did not reinstall the 2 upper nuts. I can now remove the dash assembly complete in about 10 minutes, with no help and no damage to the soft air bag cover.
I used the plastic removal tools for all the trim removal.
total time by myself, start to finish was about 5 hours, including removal of the gauge cluster, but not new stepper motors or face plate install. that was an additional 2 hours.
Crutchfield wiring and harness and tech support was awesome also. I retained steering wheel controls with the new Kenwood.
hope that helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info, have been considering the upgrade myself but do not want to hack anything. You will like the stiffening plates installed. I did the same upgrade as well as the LC32,tubular control arms and adjustible sway bar, significant difference to say the least

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Removal without bending airbag cover.

I pulled Ron's yellow SSR dash without bending airbag cover. I started at the top, removed sun visors, trim around windshield, popped the top cover, removed the top 2 airbag bolts from the top. Took a while, no bending. Left the top bolt out.

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts