Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help me.
Regrettably my Wife had to sell her 2005 SSR with only 12K Miles on it about 7 Years ago. We haven't recovered sufficiently Financially to replace it. In the present time, I am doing a "Amateur Restoration" of a 1967 Chevelle I bought New 12/66 and We went on our Honeymoon in it 7 Months Later. The only thing She has asked of my project is to install mufflers that sounded like her SSR - Nice Low Rumble but No Drone in Cabin. Anyone know who manufactured the 2005 SSR Mufflers?
Yeah, I know I can't make it sound EXACTLY like her SSR With all the other variables but with our being in our 70's and coming up on our 53rd Anniversary, I'm going to try my BEST!
Thanks to all in advance! ErnieSC

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hope someone can help me.
Regrettably my Wife had to sell her 2005 SSR with only 12K Miles on it about 7 Years ago. We haven't recovered sufficiently Financially to replace it. In the present time, I am doing a "Amateur Restoration" of a 1967 Chevelle I bought New 12/66 and We went on our Honeymoon in it 7 Months Later. The only thing She has asked of my project is to install mufflers that sounded like her SSR - Nice Low Rumble but No Drone in Cabin. Anyone know who manufactured the 2005 SSR Mufflers?
Yeah, I know I can't make it sound EXACTLY like her SSR With all the other variables but with our being in our 70's and coming up on our 53rd Anniversary, I'm going to try my BEST!
Thanks to all in advance! ErnieSC
Find a local, quality muffler shop or if you are capable yourself install a set of actual part number Corvair turbo mufflers, many aftermarket & OEM manufacturers still market them. They are an easy install on a Chevelle and to eliminate any objectionable off throttle noise or RPM induced drone have an x-pipe installed behind the crossmember & in front of the mufflers. Makes for a nice sound & is cost effective + free flowing if you have a stout motor.
Tuckerred

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,653 Posts
The SSR muffler was a real design thing because of the catalytic converters and the merged exhaust onto the passenger side. The inlet pipe looks to be 3”, but it necks down to 2 3/8” right at the face of the muffler. GM did a lot of tweaking that does not translate to other platforms.

Because you are probably going to have two separate exhaust routes to the rear bumper, I would recommend that you consider Magnaflow. I’ve had several models of Magnaflow on my SSR and it is rather close to the OEM in some configurations. The Chevelle will have its own unique tone, depending on your exhaust diameter and configuration......

Here’s the ones I currently have on my truck:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
A big thing will also be what engine is in the Chevelle small block or big block? Turbo mufflers are the best for something that will be street driven.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
The Center Exhaust I installed on my SSR was for a 1993-2002 Camaro. It lined right up with the outlet of the stock mufflers and same size. I read somewhere that Chevy used the exhaust from that vintage Camaro for the SSR. So its possible that mufflers for a 93-02 Camaro V8 with dual exhaust may be the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts