Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with OldxR today, and he had a statement that made me wonder.

I thought all interior clip on cupholders were the same in SSRs, you slide it in from the top, and if you want it on the driver's side, you rotate it and slide it in from the top as well.
However, his SSR evidently has a vertically channeled clip on the driver's side, but a passenger cupholder and cupholder socket with a horizontally channeled clip that slides back from the front. He stated that if he moved the seat forward far enough, it would push the cupholder out of the socket. This is different from my truck, which has vertically channeled clips on both sides.

He also pointed out that some SSRs have the 'pocket' on the inside of the carpeted tonneau, while some later trucks with the carpeted tonneau did not have this pull down pocket.

This made me wonder how many of these "Micro-Differences" exist in SSRs. I'm thinking along the lines of things that were made as a regular production, not a major option, but are somehow different between individual trucks. I'm thinking about the little things.
I wouldn't think of carpet vs. hardliner beds or paint matched strips vs. wood strips, because those were able to be chosen upon order.

Are there any other Micro- Differences you may know of, that appear in various production times of the SSR's?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Studmuffin, My shift console cup holders are vertical on the drivers side, horizontal on the passenger side and the passenger side is open toward the dash so the cup holder just gets pushed off if the seat is push forward. The cup holder won't mount in the upright position on the drivers side but that's OK cause it would seriously interfere with my right leg anyway. I'm not sure if the factory installs the mounts, the dealership, or the first owner. If I thought I could, I would just remove the mount altogether on the drivers side. Just learned yesterday on the forum that with a little knowhow you can exchange the coin tray with the indash cup holder, thereby having the in dash cup holder closer to the driver.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Stud muffin...2003-2004 floor mats VS 2005-2006. The cargo lid carpet may have two types of pockets and latches or None at all! Subtle things. Great seeing you and Diane today as well....nice looking R.

OLDxR

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,158 Posts
There is also the differences in wiper arms, door panels and seals around the stock air cleaner. All differences between the 03-04 and 05-06 models. I also noticed the bolts holding the front spear on are different between my 04 and 05. The head size is different.

I wonder if it either took them that long to figure out the problems or if it took them that long to go through inventory of parts to make the changes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There is also the differences in wiper arms, door panels and seals around the stock air cleaner. All differences between the 03-04 and 05-06 models. I also noticed the bolts holding the front spear on are different between my 04 and 05. The head size is different.

I wonder if it either took them that long to figure out the problems or if it took them that long to go through inventory of parts to make the changes.
The way the 2003-04 hood emblem is fastened is different from 05-06 as well.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts
The way the 2003-04 hood emblem is fastened is different from 05-06 as well.
Really, This is the first I have heard of a difference at this location. Can you explain of post photos?

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
45,575 Posts
The later models have a GM emblem on the right front fender.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,187 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Really????? How are they different?

Mike
Shortly after I acquired my 2006 I was hailed by a 2003 owner at the drag races here in Port Alberni. He and his son wanted to look at numerous things on the 2006 and remarked that the 2006 had a number of differences and improvements, a few have already been mentioned on this thread but one was the Chevrolet emblem on the hood. He showed me his that he had repaired with liquid steel or JB weld and said the cast parts that the studs are into were not as beefy as the 2006. Having never seen another "R" besides his and mine I took his word for it, and couldn't really tell because of the repair job what they looked like originally. He had managed to thread screws where the pictures show studs. I suggested he use the hood loop to close the hood.I'll attach a photo of my 06 hood emblem mount. Maybe someone with a good 2003 or 04 can clearify if there is in fact a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,158 Posts
Here is one I just discovered that I had not heard of yet. The seat bumpers are different. My 04 is the same width across the main portion but the 05 is rounded over for the factory wind screen brackets to fit easier. only on the inside area where the attachment bolt is at.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
If you have '03-'04 with the Horizontal mount cup holder on the passenger side, you may want to check behind the seat on the inside of the fuse door. Some of the fuse directories are missing because the new panel came with a blank one.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
Only 2006 models have the small GM logo on the front fender.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
I was talking with OldxR today, and he had a statement that made me wonder.

I thought all interior clip on cupholders were the same in SSRs, you slide it in from the top, and if you want it on the driver's side, you rotate it and slide it in from the top as well.
However, his SSR evidently has a vertically channeled clip on the driver's side, but a passenger cupholder and cupholder socket with a horizontally channeled clip that slides back from the front. He stated that if he moved the seat forward far enough, it would push the cupholder out of the socket. This is different from my truck, which has vertically channeled clips on both sides.

He also pointed out that some SSRs have the 'pocket' on the inside of the carpeted tonneau, while some later trucks with the carpeted tonneau did not have this pull down pocket.

This made me wonder how many of these "Micro-Differences" exist in SSRs. I'm thinking along the lines of things that were made as a regular production, not a major option, but are somehow different between individual trucks. I'm thinking about the little things.
I wouldn't think of carpet vs. hardliner beds or paint matched strips vs. wood strips, because those were able to be chosen upon order.

Are there any other Micro- Differences you may know of, that appear in various production times of the SSR's?
Some of this stuff may not be relative to your note
I think I determined the drop down in the cargo lid was discontinued on or about 1.20.2005 - about when the 2005 Slingshot Indy Parades were built, although I believe they all had the drop down

MY2004
The door panels changed giving a larger more accessible storage cavity as well as allowing easier hand access to seat controls - I thought I had the date noted but can't put my finger on it
The Sterling Silver 73P wheels were changed to 96P Ultra Satin Wheels on or about 2.26.2004
14P Chrome wheels became available about a month later, on or about 3.31.2004
ERG - although seen on a few early builds, the console gauges became available as an option, first seen about 5.7.2004
Of course the MY2003/04 had prop rods for the hoods.
In MY2004 they had a hard time figuring out how to attach the tailgate vinyl cover, so many with the vinyl tub (no ERK) and no carpet under the deck wound up with carpet on the tailgate.
It was just an easier way for GM to keep the line rolling

I did not know the earlier passenger console cup holder was verticle.
You can slide the seat forward as far as possible, hang the sun visor over the back of the seat to hold it in position while you access the console fuse box.
With the vertical inserted holder, sliding the seat forward would snap the holder - seems like it was a learning experience.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts
I think I determined the drop down in the cargo lid was discontinued on or about 1.20.2005 - somewhere when the 2005 Slingshot Indy Parades were built
MY2004
The door panels changed giving a larger more accessible storage cavity as well as allowing easier hand access to seat controls - I thought I had the date noted but can't put my finger on it
The Sterling Silver 73P wheels were changed to 96P Satin Wheels on or about 2.26.2004
ERG - although seen on a few early builds, the console gauges became available as an option, first seen about 5.7.2004

You can slide the seat forward as far as possible, hang the sun visor over the back of the seat to hold it in position while you access the console fuse box.
With the vertical inserted holder, sliding the seat forward would snap the holder - seems like it was a learning experience.
That problem does not happen on the driver side because the steering wheel gets in the way. You can use the visor to hold the seat though on Driver side as well if working behind the seat for any reason.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
~~~

MY2004
The Sterling Silver 73P wheels were changed to 96P Ultra Satin Wheels on or about 2.26.2004
~~~

Everything you listed is something I was interested in learning.

According to the Build Sheet thread, my truck was built on 1/22/04.
Now I'm left with two questions.
This means my truck was built before Ultra Silver was an wheel finish option?
And also, when I bought my truck, it had [still has] the console three gauge cluster... Does this mean it was definitely aftermarket?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts

And also, when I bought my truck, it had [still has] the console three gauge cluster... Does this mean it was definitely aftermarket?
I will defer to @Cash but, was it on the build sheet? If it was there the question is answered. If not ???

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts

I would need your VIN to break this down

1 - 20 of 33 Posts