Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that I posted a few days ago that I am installing and testing an auxiliary fan kit developed by our very own Mike Moro (Mike in AZ), to begin addressing some of the thermodynamic issues on our SSRs.

You can review the posting history, but to summarize really briefly:

- Our SSRs have marginal heat shedding ability

- The factory engine cooling fan has a bad history of premature failure because it is overworked on the SSR

- Many have suggested a stronger (higher CFM) replacement cooling fan, but no one has come up with one that both performs well AND mounts in a “factory-like” manner

- If the 2-speed factory engine cooling fan is replaced, there might be warranty issues if a heat related failure occurs elsewhere on the SSR

- Mike has developed an auxiliary “pusher” fan that mounts in FRONT of the AC heat exchanger and radiator, and works in sync with the factory “pull” cooling fan mounted BEHIND the radiator

Mike asked me to install and test one. Yesterday (Saturday 2-04-06), I had my professional mechanic friend, Randy Peurifoy, do the install, with the benefit of experienced help from DaveN who has had one of the pilot kits that Mike produced on his SSR for a while now. Owen Parker and Rob Hughes also came over to help and to watch in anticipation of later doing there own kit installs (after Mike has cleared up his backorders!)

The install would have been short and sweet, especially with Dave’s experienced help, IF my 04 SSR did not already have a transmission cooler mounted in the area that Mike’s auxiliary fan mounts in! Randy had to spend about 3 hours relocating everything so that the factory power steering cooler, Mike’s auxiliary fan, and my heavy duty transmission fluid cooler would all somehow fit in front of the AC condenser and behind the fascia of the SSR! I would advise anyone who plans to also install a transmission cooler to do it all at once.

Once Randy had everything relocated and properly mounted, the installation of the auxiliary fan took about an hour, as Randy and Dave discussed alternatives and cautions at each step of the way.

The only problems we ran into in installing the auxiliary fan were:

1. I had done the “Home Depot foam air cleaner intake sealing kit” as described earlier elsewhere on this board (search using “Home Depot” or “foam”!), and not anticipating this project at that time, had not realized that the aluminum mounting brackets I installed to glue the foam to would make removal of the upper radiator cover, located under the air cleaner assembly, more difficult. Anyone else doing both the foam sealer and the auxiliary fan should look at the photo of my foam mounting brackets included in this posting, and simply not have them come as far down as I did – stop about ½ inch higher from the bottom of the air cleaner assembly.

2. One of the rolled sheet metal female fittings inside one of Mike’s connectors got damaged by some molding flash on the mating GM factory connector, and Randy had to reshape it using a clever professional tool made for that very purpose. (see the photo with Randy holding a tool with a bright red handle-body and silver metallic repair probe).

In sequence, the photos below show:
Photo 3: The too-long foam sealer mounting brackets
Photo 7: How many Fanatics does it take to work on an SSR?
Photo 8: he specialized wood tool that Mike includes to gently make a pocket for the temp sensor inside the radiator fins! (Note the red depth guage)
Photo 15: Randy’s professional tool about to penetrate the errant connector
Photo 19: Close up of the temperature sensor wire routing

Ok, so installation is easy unless you need to also fit a tranny cooler, in which case you need someone with good 3-D visualization skills. But, how well does it work?

In short: GREAT.

I have my PCM programmed to turn the engine cooling fan on at 190 degrees. That made it impossible for me to use the “calibration” procedure that Mike just added to the instruction set for the auxiliary fan, since that instruction set assumes a “engine fan on” setting of 210 degrees. I provoked my SSR for a solid 1.5 hours today, in 80 degree ambient weather (eats your hearts out Northern guys!), trying everything from stop-and-go crawl to cruising to repetitive full throttle bursts. The temperature gauge got to the “base of the 2 digit” in the “210” label on the dashboard temperature gauge, and simply stayed there. Never budged.

What was equally interesting, is that the transmission temperature reading took much longer to get to its eventual peak of 210 degrees indicated, but would not budge above that even after sequential WOT runs from zero to 65. Prior to installation of the auxiliary fan kit, the tranny temperature would often spike just a bit higher after hard use – maybe 10 degrees higher. So, the auxiliary fan seems to have cooled the cooler a bit more.

Randy had positioned the transmission cooler directly in front of the auxiliary fan, and had verified that there was indeed suction on the backside of the cooler due to the auxiliary fan. I guess that additional air flow is effective!

So what’s my recommendation? This is a definite “buy”. Look at the overwhelming advantages:

- Adds to, does not replace, factory equipment, so no whining potential from the GM service and repair guys on warranty repairs. In fact, don’t be surprised if they ask where you got it so THEY can get one!

- Mike’s wiring and overall parts quality is equal or superior to factory

- Mike’s instructions set is exquisite (full color, multi-page “book” that walks you through each and every step visually and in text)

- It works

- It even improves transmission cooling for those who have a transmission cooler mounted up front (Mike didn’t even anticipate that)

- It’s completely reversible, very easily, if some cranky and non-analytical GM warranty guy objects to “aftermarket equipment” (even though it’s better than the factory solution).

- The price is reasonable given the quality of the design, parts, and installation methodology.

- Mike is one of “us”, so you know he’s not just flogging a kit he found somewhere else. He is on his second SSR, so he has lived with the quirks we all have experienced.

In fact, I’ll go further then merely recommending it; In my opinion, if GM had any class, they would buy a bunch of these from Mike and send one out to every SSR owner. At the same time, they could send out one of Dennis Reinhart’s MMC driveshafts to eliminate the vast majority of the driveline noise. Wouldn’t THAT be customer service! (And, unfortunately, also a big surprise if they actually did it)

Mike, better patent this kit before GM sheepishly copies it.

And, this is NOT the whole story. Mike and I have spent a few lengthy conversations on SSR thermodynamics, and I think Mike is planning a really neat “Phase 2” to this, that builds upon this “Phase 1”. Please don’t ask what it is; Mike deserves a chance to design and build what he and I have discussed before someone else tries to steal the idea. If the idea works, this Phase 1 auxiliary fan kit will be the foundation for something much bigger, and very beneficial.

Should you buy this auxiliary fan kit? Oh yeah. This is a GOOD product that meets a real need.

Jim G

Attachments

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thanks for the pics. They really helped me to understand the unit and how it is installed..:thumbs

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
FAN-Tastic

I had the pleasure/honor of having Mike personally install my fan yesterday and I was very impressed with the quality and ease of installation. Of course, I was sitting on the stool petting his dog while Mike did all the work but it looked easy! As a bonus tio my incsssant whining to Mike at Laughlin, he agreed to do this for me. Those at Laughlin may remember how hard I tried to get the Raffle fan away from the CA guy but he wouldn't budge. Mike was in such a good spirit that he also installed my 3G carbon fiber spolier and that is a great addition. Since my front is not lowered, I have a full beer can's clearance. Ask Mike about his patented driveway drop test!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I can't wait for my fan to get here.:thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
artsmart said:
Mine is already on order...maybe Mike can do some installs at Kingsburg in April:jester
I'll be glad to installit if two thigns happen..... 1-Debbie agrees to come to Kingsburg and 2-You are willing to wait 8 weeks for me to install it while it sits on your workbench gathering dust.

Mikey:jester

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
I'll be glad to installit if two thigns happen..... 1-Debbie agrees to come to Kingsburg and 2-You are willing to wait 8 weeks for me to install it while it sits on your workbench gathering dust.

Mikey:jester
As quickly as Tim gets to things involving my truck, that shouldn't be a problem. :glol Now, work on Deb! Although, since his prescious Steelers won, he might be in a better mood to do some wrenching:thumbs

·
Registered
203 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Thanks for the update!!! I think I will take Calcustom up on his offer though!!!! :yesnod
Wildcat,
When you and Woohoo are ready for the install just let me know. I have looked over the install instructions Mike posted. Looks like a very easy install.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Speculation on my part

JimGnitecki said:
Some of you know that I posted a few days ago that I am installing and testing an auxiliary fan kit developed by our very own Mike Moro (Mike in AZ), to begin addressing some of the thermodynamic issues on our SSRs.

You can review the posting history, but to summarize really briefly:

- Our SSRs have marginal heat shedding ability

- The factory engine cooling fan has a bad history of premature failure because it is overworked on the SSR

- Mike has developed an auxiliary “pusher” fan that mounts in FRONT of the AC heat exchanger and radiator, and works in sync with the factory “pull” cooling fan mounted BEHIND the radiator

Jim G

I am still running with the original fan, and yes it periodically stops working. I plan to get it replaced soon but first I would like to ran a test. I am sure all of us has seen how sometimes these fans just need an assist to run - be it a tap or a push start on the fan. Someone previously stated that amps required to start a fan is much more actual running requirement. Hence this is why a manual push start will work occasionally.

My speculation is that the "pusher" fan may actually assist in starting the "puller" by blowing air thru the radiator causing the fan blades to start turning. IF THIS TRUE, then the "pusher" may mask a intermittent failing "puller". I hope this theory using an external air supply (fan, shop vac, leaf blower). However this weekend the fan worked like it is supposed to and hence no opportunity to test the theory.

Now I intend to install one of Mike's auxillary fan units once my name gets to the top of his list. My concern is what to use now for clues to know that the factory is failing. Ideally you want to replace the fan once it gets weak and not wait on a total failure.

I am disappointed in GM over this problem. I had a 86 Pontiac STE that needed a new electric fan a least once a year. :banghead I got good at swapping out fans in that car. But you would think that could do better after 15-20 years.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Bill,

My simplistic view of your fan motor problem is that yours must have a bad winding or a dead pole. If it stops on the "dead spot" it will just sit there and heat up without spinning. A little airflow will have the fan spinning already and the dead spot will not really be seen. If all this is true, then you are correct, the pusher could mask a failing main fan. It wouldn't matter if it was the vehicle moving forward or the pusher fan producing some air flow..... the reult is that the tell-tale symptoms of a bad motor are masked any time there is a little airflow.

My 2 cents,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
No holes drilled, no wires spliced. Fully reversible with the exception of the 1/4" diameter fin displacement in the radiator core to accommodate the temp sensor.

All mounting holes exist in the truck already.

Mike

·
Registered
566 Posts
Auxillary fan

:ssr :ssr :ssr

Hello Mike in Az,
Could you please put me on your list for one of your fans?
Greatly appreciate all you do and have done for us here
on the forum.
It was great to have you and Deb at our table at the
Tri-State run.
:ssr Ladyinred :angel Lizz

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
More info please

Lizz,

Please send me a PM with your shipping info, phone number for fedex and a regular e-mail that I can use to contact you. I have you on the list for fan kit #52. :eek I am expecting to ship it in about 3 weeks. We'll talk more on email.:D

Are you going to make it to Kingsburg? Maybe the 4 of us will get to dine together again.

Regards to John.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike please put me down for one of your fan kits, it will be great to have that extra cooling while I'm towing. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Mike,

Please put me on your list for a fan kit. I believe you still have my information from my order of the front air dam. If not, PM me.

Randy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts