Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got mine on tonight... took about 15 minute to do... worse thing was getting the darn push rivots out... ended just cutting them off in the back and replacing all of them. Of course this morning I went to the GM parts department and got 5 new ones, knowing that based on my experience taking them out for the Aux fan installation I would break at least one getting it out... cost all of a dollar:)

So for those of you who haven't seen one up close and personal... here's a picture that show is pretty well... it looks so much better than the original thing that was there, and I know that this is now functional in getting air up to the radiator.

GREAT JOB MOKE... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!:smash :smash :smash

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Great photo Dave. I think it does an accurate job of showing a proper installation. Bottom corners matching the bottom of the fascia.

I'll start looking for a supplier of rivets to ship with each air dam. I'm open to suggestions for a source for buying 500 at a time. Anyone have input?

Thanks again for the photo. I have copied it to my stash.

Mike

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
Au-ve-co

Auto-Vehicle Parts Co. out of Covington KY.
I get sheet metal plugs and hood liner fasteners made by them from a local fastener supply house. my stock 'air damn' was hanging by one fastener so I reattached it with slightly different Au-ve-co units. I bet someone in your area could order you something similar:flag

·
Registered
631 Posts
Push Rivets

Mike, your statement in the air dam instructions that the push rivets are designed to be the weakest link is right on the mark! GM excelled in this area of design!! My air dam was still attached, but every rivet was broken but the center one. The others were loose, and I have no idea why they stayed in place. This could be the answer as to why some SSR's have no air dam. :skep The dam things just fell off! :eek

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Daven said:
Got mine on tonight... took about 15 minute to do... worse thing was getting the darn push rivots out... ended just cutting them off in the back and replacing all of them. Of course this morning I went to the GM parts department and got 5 new ones, knowing that based on my experience taking them out for the Aux fan installation I would break at least one getting it out... cost all of a dollar:)

So for those of you who haven't seen one up close and personal... here's a picture that show is pretty well... it looks so much better than the original thing that was there, and I know that this is now functional in getting air up to the radiator.

GREAT JOB MOKE... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!:smash :smash :smash
I think this is the best picture I've seen of the spoiler yet. Looks great.​

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Great photo Dave. I think it does an accurate job of showing a proper installation. Bottom corners matching the bottom of the fascia.

I'll start looking for a supplier of rivets to ship with each air dam. I'm open to suggestions for a source for buying 500 at a time. Anyone have input?

Mike
Mike is your spoiler any lower to the ground than the stock piece. I'm concerned about the steep angle of approach to my garage. Already did a little scrape underneath by going in straight instead of on an angle.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Mike in AZ said:

Mike
hillcofasteners.com
I can talk to them if you like. They're just a few miles away.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only a little...

SS My R said:
Mike is your spoiler any lower to the ground than the stock piece. I'm concerned about the steep angle of approach to my garage. Already did a little scrape underneath by going in straight instead of on an angle.
One thing you need to make sure is that you get the air dam snug up against the radiator... then the new air dam is only about 1/2" or so lower than the original OEM one.:thumbs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts