Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today Mike in AZ and I installed the aux. fan Mike designed and produced.

We tried a few different things apart from Mike's original install instructions that seemed to make things a bit easier that Mike may revise his original instructions to reflect these changes.

Thanks to Mike's expertise, guidance, and assistance, the install went flawlessly and quickly.

The fan looks and sounds great, very quiet. As it idled in his garage, the temp gauge held steady and the fan kicked in appropriately to maintain ideal operating temp of around 210, whereas before the install the idling temp was around 226-230.

The real test will be the travel back to Austin, TX and although at cruising speed, I do not think there will be much change, idling at anytime and after engine shutdown, the fan should do its job nicely.

Mike has hit a home run with his design, the look of OEM is unsurpassed, the ease of installation is unsurpassed, the function as a supplemental cooling device appears to be unsurpassed.

I, personally, highly recommend the purchase and install of this "can't do without" tool for your SSR.

Thanks again Mike for everything, you made the trip worth it.:seeya
OP

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
Thanks Owen

I'm glad we had a chance to do the install on your truck. I learn a little more every time I do one. I really liked the removal of the upper radiator support. The few extra minutes to do that, made the job a whole lot easier. I'll be rolling the changes into the installation instructions this week.

You hit a nerve today about the improved lower fan bracket... I will be sending new lower fan brackets to all Aux Fan owners as soon as they come from the machine shop. These are a product improvement that makes the system compatible with the 3G Chin Spoiler (current bracket has ~3/16" too much metal across the bottom to use with the 3G spoiler). It also provides a more finished look to the only part that is visible from the outside.

Again Owen, It was a pleasure having you over.

Mike

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good news. I sure am excited about installing my fan kit when Mike is able to ship. He pm'd me about not watching the temp gauge anymore-right now I watch it at nearly every stop light!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jim, I know exactly what you mean. Don't forget that we have a tranny temp problem as well that needs to be addressed.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
shiftz33 said:
It seems that Mike is a top notch kind of guy.
If you all keep pumping his head full of these notions I can see any number of problems.

a) He will start to charge us more

b) He will be harder to get a hold of

c) He will have to drive with the top down , more often, because he head will not fit in the truck.

d) We might see him on Oprah's book of the month, "How I saved the SSR"

·
Registered
893 Posts
uh,,hummmm

Focks said:
If you all keep pumping his head full of these notions I can see any number of problems.

c) he will have to fdrive with the top down , more often, because he head will not fit in the truck.

:thumbs :glol :thumbs :glol :thumbs :jester

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Focks said:

c) he will have to fdrive with the top down , more often, because he head will not fit in the truck.

And you were worried about the "cult" in Kentucky........:confused :glol

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I just like to keep on my toes,.. you never know who is moving in next door. :lol

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1460 miles and counting

Just returned from AZ with my newly installed fan kit and after 1,460 miles, I can report it is working nicely.

Obviously most of those miles were highway and the fan kit wasn't even on, but everytime I stopped (which was alot, small bladder and bad back), the fan kicked on and kept the temperature at the 190-210, before install, idle temp was around 226-230 mark and coming down to what I call normal (190-210) took awhile, so my comfort level was stretched at times.

This kit kept the temp at around 210 or below at idle at all times.
Although its sound is noticeable when you shut down the SSR, you know that it is cooling properly.

The OEM fan should've been designed to run after shutdown, but this kit takes up where OEM faulters and picks up the slack.

Through over 600 miles West Texas yesterday I ran into some 80 degree places and my temp gauge would creep up at stops but I could hear the fan kick on and the temp gauge would quickly return to the 190 mark. This was consistent throughout the trip, even during a time when idling on the side of the road while a TX state trooper wrote me a warning to slow it down and get a front license plate bracket:willy:

Total trip length roundtrip=2470 miles
Total time behind the wheel=38 hours 30 minutes

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey focks, your vin# is 6469?????? Are you sure you have an 05?:cool :cool

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
Installed the fan kit today. Seems to work great!!!

Lessons learned:

1) Remove the chevron grill bar to make it less likely to scratch it and to give a little more room. I just installed a chromed chevron grill bar a few days ago, and I didn't want my $207 investment to get scratched.

2) Aluminum tape supplied did not stick well. I cleaned all surfaces before applying the tape, but it would not stick. I had some high temp aluminum furnace tape that I used instead and it seemed to stick very well. Not sure why the supplied tape did not stick???

3) I removed the cable that is used to open the hood. I thought it would help, but in the end it wasn't needed. The big problem was that I forgot to reattach the cable. You guessed it, as soon as I closed the hood that bad feeling came over me. Let's just say, I've learned how to remove the front chevron grill bar, hood emblem and the lower pins from the upper radiator panel cover to gain access to the hood latch. That was fun!

4) I used a knife and wire brush to clean the bottom side of the fender mounting bolt used to mount the control module and the ground cable. There was so much paint on it, that it was unlikely to make a good ground without cleaning it off.

5) Wooden piece used to make the hole in the radiator fins worked very well.

In the end, the fan works GREAT!

Thanks Mike!

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
I installed mine yesterday. Took my time and everthing went fine. I removed the cable also, and I thought it made it easier. I did remember to hook it up before I closed the hood. Haven't had a chance to try it out on the road yet, but everything worked perfectly in the garage. I adjusted it to turn on at 210 and it cycled thru several times. Held the idle temp between 190 and 210. I think the aux. fan kit is a needed addition to every SSR.
Keep them comin' Mike, the orders will be piling in as the weather gets a little warmer.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I installed mine yesterday also. I also removed the hood release cable. I just found it easier. But I checked and triple checked before I closed the hood that I remembered to reconnect it :jester

Fan works great in the garage. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be nicer and I can take it out for a drive.

A must have for every SSR!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks Mike! Installed my kit today, too! Great instructions. Wood dowel worked easy. I disconnected the hood release cable also. Took me about 2 hours and everything checked fine. You did a nice job developing this kit. Congrats!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
Not supposed to remove the hood latch.

I will have to include this in the instructions....... You are not supposed to remove the two bolts that hold the hood latch to the cross-member. Only two of the four on the hood latch need to get pulled. They are the "top" two that hold the hood latch to the upper radiator support.

I guess the instructions need a little clarification......:banghead

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
My instructions said do not remove the two bolts that hold the hood latch on. I didn't remove the hood latch, only the cable that operates the hood latch. That way I could completely remove the upper radiator support. You just have to remember to reconnect the cable.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
Lloyd - I have done a few of these and have not had to disconnect the cable in order to remove the upper panel..... Have I missed something???? If I did, please send a photo so I can include it in the instructiuons..

Mike

1 - 20 of 78 Posts