Chevy SSR Forum banner

Mike's Aux. Fan

8K views 77 replies 35 participants last post by  Dampa 
#1 ·
Well today Mike in AZ and I installed the aux. fan Mike designed and produced.

We tried a few different things apart from Mike's original install instructions that seemed to make things a bit easier that Mike may revise his original instructions to reflect these changes.

Thanks to Mike's expertise, guidance, and assistance, the install went flawlessly and quickly.

The fan looks and sounds great, very quiet. As it idled in his garage, the temp gauge held steady and the fan kicked in appropriately to maintain ideal operating temp of around 210, whereas before the install the idling temp was around 226-230.

The real test will be the travel back to Austin, TX and although at cruising speed, I do not think there will be much change, idling at anytime and after engine shutdown, the fan should do its job nicely.

Mike has hit a home run with his design, the look of OEM is unsurpassed, the ease of installation is unsurpassed, the function as a supplemental cooling device appears to be unsurpassed.

I, personally, highly recommend the purchase and install of this "can't do without" tool for your SSR.

Thanks again Mike for everything, you made the trip worth it.:seeya
OP

See less See more
#77 ·
89 Rod said:
Are there any related Aux. Fan photo's in the Gallary showing the before/after?
That's one of the significant things I have not yet done.....

To get a decent photo, I will have to remove the front fascia....... I have not had reason to go there yet, but I'm sure someone will get a picture of it before I do.

The fan is a pusher that mounts to the cross-member in front of the A/C condenser and is positioned by a single attachment to the center of the lower radiator support.

Attached is a photo from the first prototyping I did last fall. Sorry, but this is the closest I can come to a "good" installed image.... Pay no attention to my hack-sawed home made bracketry... They are machined and anodized nowadays.... ref the uninstalled photo. I have also included a schematic of the system if you are interested....

Regards,

Mike

Attachments

#78 ·
Got mine installed yesterday. Thanks Mike.

Two things took the most time: 1) unsnaping the wiring harness clamps (couldn't see them well, couldn't get both hands squeezed in to reach them; finally used one hand and a very long screw driver. 2) dropping in the two bolts thru the top mounting bracket (my needle nose pliers would not fit thru the top opening to feed the bolts as directed, couldn't get in from the side either; finally used some double sided tape on the end of a long skinny stick and put the bolts right in there! Used band-aids on all skinned knuckles and wrists).

But it works Great!

Ricochet: 230 is ok, but 245 is not. This is common in stop and go traffic. Really freaks you out to see the temp gauge moving up and you can't move. You must turn on the A/C and recirculate to get the OEM fan to come on at high speed. If it is hot outside, it just won't keep up. We just needed a little more fan power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.