Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BLU SSR
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Mikes replacement fan today , great quality product and fits perfectly as does everything from Mike. It took me slightly longer than the 4 min. 37 sec. that Mike took to install the one in Blur but still a job no one should be afraid to tackle.
Now for my question : I know you can force the fan to run by turning on the air conditioner on , but does it run continuously ? It is only about 74 here today and when I started her up (with the air on) as expected it took a few seconds to come on and then after 10 - 20 seconds it turned off came on again after another 20 seconds or so . I didn't hear the compressor cycling on and off from low/high pressure so don't believe that is a problem but I was not outside the truck so can't be 100% sure. So should it run continuously or is this normal ?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,262 Posts
Installed Mikes replacement fan today , great quality product and fits perfectly as does everything from Mike. It took me slightly longer than the 4 min. 37 sec. that Mike took to install the one in Blur but still a job no one should be afraid to tackle.
Now for my question : I know you can force the fan to run by turning on the air conditioner on , but does it run continuously ? It is only about 74 here today and when I started her up (with the air on) as expected it took a few seconds to come on and then after 10 - 20 seconds it turned off came on again after another 20 seconds or so . I didn't hear the compressor cycling on and off from low/high pressure so don't believe that is a problem but I was not outside the truck so can't be 100% sure. So should it run continuously or is this normal ?
This is normal....... If you have a low outside temperature, your AC system will operate at lower system pressures....... It sounds to me that the system was actually getting below 150psi and turning off the fan.....

Here's the quote out of the manual for AC system cooling fan operation:

If engine temperatures are to low for cooling fan operation the PCM will command the cooling fans to cool the A/C condenser. The low speed cooling fan will commanded on at 1379 kPa (200 psi). Then commanded off at 1034 kPa (150 psi). The high speed cooling fan will be commanded on at 1586 kPa (230 psi). Then commanded off at 1482 kPa (215 psi).

Regards,

Mike

·
BLU SSR
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is normal....... If you have a low outside temperature, your AC system will operate at lower system pressures....... It sounds to me that the system was actually getting below 150psi and turning off the fan.....

Here's the quote out of the manual for AC system cooling fan operation:

If engine temperatures are to low for cooling fan operation the PCM will command the cooling fans to cool the A/C condenser. The low speed cooling fan will commanded on at 1379 kPa (200 psi). Then commanded off at 1034 kPa (150 psi). The high speed cooling fan will be commanded on at 1586 kPa (230 psi). Then commanded off at 1482 kPa (215 psi).

Regards,

Mike
Mike , Thanks for your speedy reply , this was what I suspected but it is always good to get assurance from an expert!! We are getting Red ready for the trip to Tennessee and I wasn't comfortable with the OEM fan.
Once again , for all you newbies , this is why THIS IS THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB , SSR owners are without a doubt the best group you will ever be a part of!!
ONE GREATFUL OWNER ,
SSReplay -Jim Perry :blur: :ssr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts