Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Georgia SSRers
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My outside drivers mirror has discolored on the top quarter, seems to be spreading.
Anyone know a stock number for a replacement mirror or perhaps have one left over from a MUTH conversion.

mirror1.jpg ... mirror2.jpg

looks like maybe the silvering is coming off on the back.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,436 Posts
Pretty sure all the stock ones do this. I would think the Muth conversion are mostly for this reason alone. If you find an original, it will probably have the same issue in short order. Good luck on your search.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,039 Posts
Mine has turned amber also but I really like it. Hope it doesn't get any darker.
Really shows things up nicely and no glare.

Reactions: sillypuddy

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,451 Posts
Hey, OldFred . . .

With all of the Muth Conversions Mike @Mike in AZ has made over the years, I bet he has a few leftovers hanging around.

Good Luck.

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
My outside drivers mirror has discolored on the top quarter, seems to be spreading.
Anyone know a stock number for a replacement mirror or perhaps have one left over from a MUTH conversion.

View attachment 540257 ... View attachment 540259

looks like maybe the silvering is coming off on the back.
:smile2:
Based upon my experience with my Avalanche, you just might take your SSR thru one of those "touchless" car washes where the hanging bar dispenses soap and spray, etc. while you sit and wait for it to finish.

As that high speed jet spray of water passes by your outside rear view mirror, it somehow passes by the seal and gets liquid in behind the outside lens.

I had to purchase a new drivers side mirror for my Avalanche and it was one of those with the heat and turn signal as part of it..........an expensive replacement.

Now, if I go thru one of those type car washes, I use a large zip lock bag over my rear view mirrors.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
The drivers side mirror is electrochromic to auto darken like the inside rearview mirror. The OEM replacement glass is very expensive if you can find it. You can replace with a heated glass mirror for much less as these are the same as the C4 Corvette. To my knowledge Corvette did not offer the self darkening mirror so it is specific to the SSR And like many of our parts discontinued by GM. Can also look for a Drivers side mirror assy on Ebay and make sure its not separated too. There's always a few for sale on there.
Or, do the Muth conversion or if you are really thrifty just get the stick on overlay for $10.00.
Greg

·
Registered
240 Posts
I picked up a self adhesive mirror off E bay $15 bucks it's been on there for over a year.. Worked out fine.. If you go that route, be sure the mirror is where you want it when you place it, there are no second chances........

·
Georgia SSRers
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

THANKS everyone for the replies.
I'm off to EBAY.
BTY: this is the FIRST minor problem with CHARLOTTE. MAY IT ALWAYS BE SO SIMPLE !

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,650 Posts
Yes the liquid in the mirror leaks out or something, it was dimming feature I believe and they are heated.

It is C-5 Vette mirror BUT the standoff is different. So it is not really interchangeable easily.

The Muth directional Mirrors are heated and have LED Red arrow. Or Yellow arrow.

Most of us have replaced the OEM mirrors with Muth Mirror which was designed for our SSR by Mike Moro aka Mike in AZ aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/ It does not have "Dimming" but is heated.

More information on my SSR HOW TO LIBRARY:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator
PS. I have personally done 100+ sets.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts