Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you think Chevrolet engineers put the side mirrors so far back on the door? Like 10-12 inches back. Just curious why they were not up toward the front farther. hmmmmmmm. D

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,611 Posts
Great question, OLDFATGUY . . .

Just measured The Doophus's mirrors. They are just shy of 16 inches from the forward edge of the actual mirror to the door / front fender seam.

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Perfectionist
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great question, OLDFATGUY . . .

Just measured The Doophus's mirrors. They are just shy of 16 inches from the forward edge of the actual mirror to the door / front fender seam.

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !
Damn, never measured it! would have guessed 12". Almost middle of the window! D

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Why do you think Chevrolet engineers put the side mirrors so far back on the door? Like 10-12 inches back. Just curious why they were not up toward the front farther. hmmmmmmm. D
:|
Regardless of how far back/forward on the door they may be..............Do they provide the usual and expected view that one would expect. In my opinion, they do just that.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
when the engineers designed these vehicles way back when they said let's put the mirrors here because on May 14th 2018 Dino is going to ask why did we put the mirror here.

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Another good reason might be is because that's where they put the mounting holes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
:|
Regardless of how far back/forward on the door they may be..............Do they provide the usual and expected view that one would expect. In my opinion, they do just that.:wink2:
:agree I assume the mirror is positioned optimally for all driver positions.

The concept SSR had the mirror at the top of the A pillar.
The production car mirror position is directly below the top of A pillar.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,343 Posts
Have you ever worked with engineers before? Some times they have no reason for doing something, but can go on for hours or days giving you an explanation of why they did or didn't do something. I work in the fireplace/ heater industry and my job used to be to make the engineers build stuff that would really work in the real world. I still get headaches from that job.

I wonder if there is a standard they have to meet for position and how far the average driver can view clearly?

·
Perfectionist
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
inquiring minds want to know!

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I too wondered why the SSR’s mirrors were set so far back on the door. To look through the drivers side mirror, I had to turn my head to the point I could no longer see the road in my periferial vision. I habitually check my outside mirrors when driving, so the mirror position was annoying.

I looked for solutions (fitting other mirrors, relocating them, etc.) but didn’t want to do body work to cover the mounting and wiring holes, and didn’t want to depart too far from the original look.

I decided swapping the mirror bases from one side to the other would move the mirror heads far enough away from the driver and allow use of the original mounting and wiring holes. I had to alter the internals of the mirrors significantly, make mounting base adapters, do a small amount of body work to the mirror bases and heads, and make a tool to allow reassembly of the heads to the bases. While I had the mirrors apart, I made, and recessed in, LED turn signal and clearance lights.

This is what they look like. The mirrors function and fold as original. Looking through the mirrors is much improved! Almost no-one notices the recessed lights, or the reversed bases.

It took a lot af head scratching and work to make this change, but worth it to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Built a replica of a 52 MG with the mirrors on the front fenders. They were almost useless. The mirror would have to be huge to get a decent view.
I have to laugh at the mirrors mounted
On the front fenders in the show “JDM Legends”. Good for checking blind spot but otherwise useless. But I guess it looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Perfectionist
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I too wondered why the SSR’s mirrors were set so far back on the door. To look through the drivers side mirror, I had to turn my head to the point I could no longer see the road in my periferial vision. I habitually check my outside mirrors when driving, so the mirror position was annoying.

I looked for solutions (fitting other mirrors, relocating them, etc.) but didn’t want to do body work to cover the mounting and wiring holes, and didn’t want to depart too far from the original look.

I decided swapping the mirror bases from one side to the other would move the mirror heads far enough away from the driver and allow use of the original mounting and wiring holes. I had to alter the internals of the mirrors significantly, make mounting base adapters, do a small amount of body work to the mirror bases and heads, and make a tool to allow reassembly of the heads to the bases. While I had the mirrors apart, I made, and recessed in, LED turn signal and clearance lights.

This is what they look like. The mirrors function and fold as original. Looking through the mirrors is much improved! Almost no-one notices the recessed lights, or the reversed bases.

It took a lot af head scratching and work to make this change, but worth it to me.
Damn nice work!!!! I actually was thinking of that too! But sounds like it was lots and lots of work!! great job . d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts