Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevrolet SSR Slingshot Yellow
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Check Engine Light is on and the engine only runs on 7 cylinders.
I have connected an OBD2-scanner and got the error code P0703 which says Misfire on cylinder 2.
Have tried to exchange spark plug cables between cylinder 2 and 4 and tested with same result = not the cables.
I then did the same with the ignition coils with the same result = not the coils.
I finally did the same with the sparkplugs between cylinder 2 and 4 with same result = not the plugs.
The error still remains!?
I have now run out of ideas on what the problem could be and would appreciate any ideas on how to fix..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly a clogged injector? Also check the injector's electrical connector.
OK, thank You. I have at stetoscope which I can use to listen if the injector is ticking.
If not it I'll have to remove and clean the injector.
The spark plug was light and dry which indicates that no fuel is fed to the no 2 cylinder.
It would perhaps also be wise to replace the fuel filter...

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK, thank You. I have at stetoscope which I can use to listen if the injector is ticking.
If not it I'll have to remove and clean the injector.
The spark plug was light and dry which indicates that no fuel is fed to the no 2 cylinder.
It would perhaps also be wise to replace the fuel filter...
I bought an 03 that was running rough, that had the same problem, but initially showed as random multiple misfires. Replaced an Oxygen Sensor that was bad. It helped, but didn't solve the problem. Replaced the Plugs and wires, still the same problem. Stethoscope indicated Cyl 8 injector not firing. In pulling the electrical connector to test for signal I saw corroded terminals. The silicone weather seal had deteriorated, letting moisture in. Cleaned it up, and confirmed a signal, but still the same problem. I pulled all eight injectors and sent them out for ultrasonic cleaning. After repeated passes the shop was unable to restore injector #8, so I purchased a new injector. With a new injector and seven restored injectors, the truck runs great. The injector cleaning service was able to locate a new silicone weather seal for me as well.

A word of caution.... IF you find you need to replace an injector, buy it from a reputable source. eBay and Amazon are loaded with cheap Chinese Counterfeits at attractive prices. Why go through all the work to remove and replace an injector, only to do it again a few weeks or months down the road?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Hopefully it’s just a clogged injector.
After a similar process of elimination, a broken valve spring was the culprit causing the same symptoms on this 5.3.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,193 Posts
Sometimes a crack plug insulator will cause this and even swapping plugs it may not be apparent and can be intermittent so hard to detect. had this issue on my Son in-laws truck with the 5.3. found it after pulling the plug and carefully examining the ceramic to see a fine crack in it. replaced one plug and he was able to get it inspected after the codes cleared.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR, Customized
631 Posts
YEARS AGO MY 05 “R” HAD A MISS FIRE DUE THE A CRACK IN THE #7 SPARE PLUG
MY TECH 2 COULD NOT READ THE MISS FIRE, DUE TO THE ECM BEING TUNED FOR PERFORMANCE.
THE ECM WAS RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS AND THE TECH 2 COULD NOW READ THE MISS FIRE.
I LEFT THE ECM SET TO FACTORY SETTINGS.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,566 Posts
You can also compare the resistance of the injectors.

Be sure and clear codes before you restart engine and then recheck for codes.

Edit misfire codes begin with 3 like 307.
did you post code # correctly?
I cannot access service manual right now to see if there is a 703. I will check soon.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,437 Posts
Hopefully it’s just a clogged injector.
After a similar process of elimination, a broken valve spring was the culprit causing the same symptoms on this 5.3. View attachment 596928
Is that rocker arm also going south on that cylinder? The bearings are showing on it and all the rest you can't see the needle bearings? I have not have the valve covers off mine to see the rockers.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Is that rocker arm also going south on that cylinder? The bearings are showing on it and all the rest you can't see the needle bearings? I have not have the valve covers off mine to see the rockers.
Yes. Not sure which happened first (the trunnion, or the valve spring). Trunnion bearings on the stock rockers (5.3 and 6.0) are pressed in and do not use captured bearings. They are known to back out and scatter needle bearings…not good. Upgraded rockers with captured bearings, and/or upgraded trunnion bearing kits help solve the problem. I put a BTR kit in my 6.0 for a little insurance.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,566 Posts
The Check Engine Light is on and the engine only runs on 7 cylinders.
I have connected an OBD2-scanner and got the error code P0703 which says Misfire on cylinder 2.
Follow up to my previous post
I have checked the factory service manual and GM does not list a P0703 for an 04 SSR.

Are you sure you are on the correct plug? I don't always trust the trouble code descriptor.

I like to look at misfire data or misfire counters on the scan tool first (some basic scanners may not provide this). This will help confirm suspected cylinder identification.

Next, while engine is running I will disconnect the coil primary wire or injectors one a time while listening to the engine to see if there is a change when it is disconnected.
Unplugging a coil or injector from a cylinder and there is no change will confirm that one, is the cylinder that is misfiring. I start with the one(s) previously identified with other methods.

@TruckNRod
did you connect a vacuum gauge to your engine when it was misfiring? While its harder and harder to find a good common vacuum port, a broken valve spring or other mechanical problems are usually noted by a variation in the vacuum gauge that ignition or fuel system issues would not cause.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Follow up to my previous post
I have checked the factory service manual and GM does not list a P0703 for an 04 SSR.

Are you sure you are on the correct plug? I don't always trust the trouble code descriptor.

I like to look at misfire data or misfire counters on the scan tool first (some basic scanners may not provide this). This will help confirm suspected cylinder identification.

Next, while engine is running I will disconnect the coil primary wire or injectors one a time while listening to the engine to see if there is a change when it is disconnected.
Unplugging a coil or injector from a cylinder and there is no change will confirm that one, is the cylinder that is misfiring. I start with the one(s) previously identified with other methods.

@TruckNRod
did you connect a vacuum gauge to your engine when it was misfiring? While its harder and harder to find a good common vacuum port, a broken valve spring or other mechanical problems are usually noted by a variation in the vacuum gauge that ignition or fuel system issues would not cause.
Sorry but I misread the error code. Correct OBD2 error code is P0302 (see pic). The engine is not misfiring on cylinder 2 - it is not firing at all on cylinder no 2! The no 2 spark plug is dry (see pic) which indicates that here is no fuel in the cylinder = injector likely clogged. Will start to mark up all electrical connections before disassembly of the fuel rails and the injectors. Seems like I have quite some work ahead...

No 2 spark plug.JPG OBD2 error code P0302.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sometimes a crack plug insulator will cause this and even swapping plugs it may not be apparent and can be intermittent so hard to detect. had this issue on my Son in-laws truck with the 5.3. found it after pulling the plug and carefully examining the ceramic to see a fine crack in it. replaced one plug and he was able to get it inspected after the codes cleared.
Tried changing the the no 2 plug with another one but the error is still on cylinder no 2. It is therefore not the plug.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought an 03 that was running rough, that had the same problem, but initially showed as random multiple misfires. Replaced an Oxygen Sensor that was bad. It helped, but didn't solve the problem. Replaced the Plugs and wires, still the same problem. Stethoscope indicated Cyl 8 injector not firing. In pulling the electrical connector to test for signal I saw corroded terminals. The silicone weather seal had deteriorated, letting moisture in. Cleaned it up, and confirmed a signal, but still the same problem. I pulled all eight injectors and sent them out for ultrasonic cleaning. After repeated passes the shop was unable to restore injector #8, so I purchased a new injector. With a new injector and seven restored injectors, the truck runs great. The injector cleaning service was able to locate a new silicone weather seal for me as well.

A word of caution.... IF you find you need to replace an injector, buy it from a reputable source. eBay and Amazon are loaded with cheap Chinese Counterfeits at attractive prices. Why go through all the work to remove and replace an injector, only to do it again a few weeks or months down the road?
Mine is not randomly misfiring. The no 2 cylinder is permanently dead. perk plug is dry which indicates no fuel. The injector is therefore likely cloggeed.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,193 Posts
Tried changing the the no 2 plug with another one but the error is still on cylinder no 2. It is therefore not the plug.
[/QUOTEdid your clear the codes before restarting the engine?
Was it still misfiring after swapping or just the code.
I my case the misfire was intermittent and only found the cracked insulator after carefully examine the plug.
Worth inspecting the plug but I suspect as others said it may be the injector

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,566 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, check resistance of injector. Compare to resistance of other injectors, may be problem with coil windings inside injector.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I mentioned earlier, check resistance of injector. Compare to resistance of other injectors, may be problem with coil windings inside injector.
What resistance should the injector have? If I also should test the connector (the cable that connects to the injector) where shall I connect the meter?
What is the most likely/common error? Clogged injector or electrical?

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,566 Posts
I am not sure of the spec for resistance, that's why I suggested checking against others to compare.
It's quite possibly a toss up between clogged/ restricted versus an electrical malfunction of injector. There are alot of variables that could cause either.
I use a noid light to check for pulse and electrical connection. 6 PC kit from Amazon is about $15. Here in the states some auto stores have these in their tool rental/loan section.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not sure of the spec for resistance, that's why I suggested checking against others to compare.
It's quite possibly a toss up between clogged/ restricted versus an electrical malfunction of injector. There are alot of variables that could cause either.
I use a noid light to check for pulse and electrical connection. 6 PC kit from Amazon is about $15. Here in the states some auto stores have these in their tool rental/loan section.
Have purchased Noid Light set from Amazon. Still waiting for delivery...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts