Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if using Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil
is ok for the LS2 engine ? It doesn't have the GM4718M spec. on the
bottle like the regular Mobil 1 oil does ?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
William said:

Thanks,
Bill
If it met the spec wouldn't they say so on the bottle? Owners manual clearly states oil must meet the GM4718M spec. I wouldn't put anything in that didn't say it met that spec right on the container.:nono

·
Registered
192 Posts
William said:

Thanks,
Bill
When this new oil came out, this question was posed to Mobil 1 by numerous people on the Corvette Forums. Mobil consistently answered that it isn't labeled to meet GM Standard 4718M because it doesn't meet the standard. As to why it doesn't meet the standard, that isn't clear. That's unfortunate, because for those who desire to stick with Mobil 1, this new oil appears to perform very well.

Take a look at how well the Mobil 1 Extended Performance performed in this AMSOIL commissioned independent lab test of Nov 05:
Comparative Motor Oil Test Nov 05

And compare that to how well the base Mobil 1 performed in this similar test of Dec 03:
Comparative Motor Oil Test Dec 03

In my opinion, the new Extended Performance version is better than the original, which isn't surprising because by Mobil's own PR this oil has about 37% more additives than the base Mobil 1.

FYI, if you are looking for an oil suitable for longer drain intervals that does meet GM Standard 4178M, the AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30 is rated for 15,000 miles/1 year of use in severe service by AMSOIL. :cheers:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, crap. I just did my first oil change a couple of months ago, at about 6500 miles, and I put in Mobil 1 Extended Performance. No, I didn't read the label. It was only a couple of bucks more than regular Mobil 1, so I spent the extra bread thinking it would be even better that the regular grade.

So now, you Pit Crew members who know a heck of a lot more about all this stuff than I do: what do you recommend? Replace with regular Mobil 1 immediately? Replace at a shorter interval than normal? (And if so, when?) Leave it alone for now and replace as usual?

My '05 automatic is completely stock, and I only cruise in it. (Rarely punch it; never stand on it ... although I just love that expression!)

·
Registered
192 Posts
JAustin said:
So now, you Pit Crew members who know a heck of a lot more about all this stuff than I do: what do you recommend? Replace with regular Mobil 1 immediately? Replace at a shorter interval than normal? (And if so, when?) Leave it alone for now and replace as usual?
Personally, I would leave it in and replace it at the regular interval. You have a better oil in the car than required.

If you really want to get into the weeds on warranty coverage, if you read your warranty (not your owners manual), you will likely see vague words such as this in the section under what is NOT covered (these words out of my 2002 Z06 warranty which I have handy):
"Damage Due to Insufficient or Improper Maintenance:
Damage caused by failure to follow the recommended maintenance schedule intervals and/or failure to use or maintain fluids, fuel, lubricants, or refrigerants recommended in the owner's manual is not covered."

The key takeaway there is "damage caused by..."

So if you are using an oil that doesn't meet the owner's manual requirements, that has to cause the failure for them to have legal grounds to deny warranty coverage. I'd say the chances of using a better oil than required causing an engine failure are so remote as to not waste your time, effort and money to change your oil now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
William said:
:agree

JAustin,

I also have the Mobil 1 extended performance oil in my truck now,
but in 3-4 thousand miles I think I will switch over to Amsoil
because it does meet the GM4718M spec., whatever that is.

Now, Which Amsoil oil to use ?
The High Performance or the Series 2000 - severe service ?
Both have the GM4718M spec.
I appreciate your consideration of AMSOIL. Since I assume most (all?) of you guys aren't racing your SSRs, the AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30 is what I recommend. This oil is roughly equivalent to the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil as can be seen from the test result link of Nov 05 I posted above. I use the Series 2000 20w50 in my Z06 which sees exclusive track use, but I personally don't think it is necessary to spend the extra $$ on the Series 2000 0w30 for a daily driver. That said, if I had a new Vette, I'd probably be using the Series 2000 0w30 in it just because I want the best. :lol

Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

·
Registered
33 Posts
Damn...

Subdriver said:
I appreciate your consideration of AMSOIL. Since I assume most (all?) of you guys aren't racing your SSRs, the AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30 is what I recommend. This oil is roughly equivalent to the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil as can be seen from the test result link of Nov 05 I posted above. I use the Series 2000 20w50 in my Z06 which sees exclusive track use, but I personally don't think it is necessary to spend the extra $$ on the Series 2000 0w30 for a daily driver. That said, if I had a new Vette, I'd probably be using the Series 2000 0w30 in it just because I want the best. :lol

Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
I've been running Mobil 1 since it first came out...way back when. I've got 4000 miles on my first change
with the Extend Performance -
*but only because I didn't read the label*.
It's my fault, but I trusted Mobil to have it's bases covered with it's "Best" oil. Well...thanks to you guys - I just ordered the Series 2000 0w30.

Now, tell me how bad I screwed up by special ordering (3) DG Fram oil filters.:banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sparky 2 said:
I've been running Mobil 1 since it first came out...way back when. I've got 4000 miles on my first change
with the Extend Performance -
*but only because I didn't read the label*.
It's my fault, but I trusted Mobil to have it's bases covered with it's "Best" oil. Well...thanks to you guys - I just ordered the Series 2000 0w30.

Now, tell me how bad I screwed up by special ordering (3) DG Fram oil filters.:banghead :banghead :banghead
Thanks for your support... and no, you don't want to hear me talk about the filters... :lol

The Fram PH and TG filters have very low flow according to this guy's study, but the XG appears to have fairly decent flow with average filtration. I don't think they make a DG though...
www.oilfilterstudy.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
Damn...

Subdriver said:
Thanks for your support... and no, you don't want to hear me talk about the filters... :lol

The Fram PH and TG filters have very low flow according to this guy's study, but the XG appears to have fairly decent flow with average filtration. I don't think they make a DG though...
www.oilfilterstudy.com
I thought I might have misread another label - but not this time - I've got a FRAM DG3675. Nonetheless, I bet I should be ****-canning my $13 filters, right?

I guess I've been living under a rock with regard to AMSOIL. I used it in my snowmobiles in the 80's - but I've been missing the boat ever since.:mad:confused :cry

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sparky 2 said:
I thought I might have misread another label - but not this time - I've got a FRAM DG3675. Nonetheless, I bet I should be ****-canning my $13 filters, right?
I went back and looked harder at Fram's website and I assume DG is Double Guard which is a relatively new Fram filter. That filter has not been tested by the above site. I could not find a lot of data on the DG filter line. One thing I did find which concerns me a little is that this filter is impregnated with PTFE, a teflon additive that is released into your oil. Amsoil and most other top oil companies specifically do not recommend using any additives as they may not work well with the additive package already in the oil.

Here is Fram's statement on this filter:
"The FRAM® Double Guard® oil filter is the only oil filter to contain PTFE - as found in many of the leading oil additives. So, not only does the Double Guard® product filter out the harmful dirt that can corrode your engine, for those consumer who would like to use a PTFE additive, the Double Guard® filter provides a more cost-effective way to distribute it to your engine. "

For those that aren't aware of it, most of the additive companies such as Slick 50 has been sued successfully by the FTC for false advertising claims.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
William said:

Thanks,
Bill
Can't help you on the Mobil 1. I have 15,800 miles on my SSR and 12,800 miles are using the AMSOIL. Will change oil at 25,000miles or one year, which is the next oil change. This is a recommended by AMSOIL and no warrenty problems. Very happy with the AMSIOL products. At 30,000 will change the trans. and diff. to AMSIOL products.

Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts