Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says we should use Mobil 1 motor oil in our SSR. Is this necessary? Is it important? Is there a better alternative?

I'd like to know what more experienced people think.

There are so many synthetics out there.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
After much research I am using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil (high performance full synthetic) in our 2004 SSR even though NOT needed with the 5.3 litre engine. Also use a Mobil 1 filter.

Oil by Shell, filter by Exxon.

This thread should make for some interesting reading. Everyone has a favorite combination.

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It's interesting that the topic of oil comes up frequently. And it seems everyone has a "favorite". Oil companies do a great job of marketing their products and I'd bet they all do a decent job keeping things moving in our engines. But... to take from a "back door" perspective... Does anyone know of specific oils to avoid? If so, what products are those and specifically why would you not use them??

Now, sure, I understand synthetics have some advantages, but I just wonder how much oils are like Coke, Pepsi and Dr.Pepper. Despite the flavor, they pretty much do the same thing.

Am I all wet here, or, are there REAL differences. And if so, what are they?

Sorry KJA, didn't want to hijack a thread. Just thought might be interesting to look at it from an expanded perspective.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,869 Posts
Instead of reinventing the wheel go to SEARCH and type in "Type of motor oil". There are 42 posts covering this subject already. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter for me. Others are as good but none better and Chevy recommends it. Like I said why reinvent the wheel. Should put up to a quart extra in because of the slosh affect.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,240 Posts
The Doophus will turn 13 Years Old on the 5th of May . . .

So far, once each year off to the local Chevy Dealer for a complete service including Mobil 1 Oil and Filter.

Agree with what Auggie has already posted . . . "Don't fix what ain't broken."

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Use Mobil 1 to satisfy my bumper to bumper warranty still in effect, why mess with something that is recommended by Chevy
:|
new Corvettes come straight to the dealers loaded up with Mobil 1 Syn. (Maybe SSRs did too)...........In any event, GM is not gonna compromise their engine warranty period by putting less than what they know is (one of the best) available oils to put in there.

But as stated, everyone has to take a shot at "reinventing the wheel":frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I use Mobil1 in all of my vehicles. Working for GM for many years has convinced me that Mobil1 is the best oil for your SSR.

Reactions: pug man

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,898 Posts
Any Full Synthetic Motor oil will work. Do not use a Synthetic Blend.
The base Synthetic oils are all the same, manufacturers add their own proprietary blends of additives. For what we use our SSRs for, and unless you race or have a very HP engine there is no difference in the performance of any of the Full Synthetics.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have watched many demos on this subject and the only oil better than Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 oil filter (which I use) retired ExxonMobil maybe why (no warranty issue) is Royal Purple with K&N filter. More expensive than Mobil 1.

:blue:

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
957 Posts
Any Full Synthetic Motor oil will work. Do not use a Synthetic Blend.
The base Synthetic oils are all the same, manufacturers add their own proprietary blends of additives. For what we use our SSRs for, and unless you race or have a very HP engine there is no difference in the performance of any of the Full Synthetics.
What's wrong with using a synthetic blend?

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,898 Posts
It is a blend of conventional fossil oil and synthetic. The new engines are not designed to use any fossil oil.
We should never use conventional oil in our LS engines. Simply put, The higher temperatures, tighter clearances and higher compression will break down the conventional oil faster resulting in less protection. Its much more technical than that but I like Simple.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Biggest problem with a blend is what is the actual blend concentration levels. 50% synthetic 50% conventional or 5% synthetic 95% conventional. No real rules that I am aware of. I personally think the extra level of protection is well worth the fairly small difference in price when it comes to my pride and joy. I always use full synthetic. The brands may vary between Mobil one and Castrol brands of full synthetic 5W30.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
I would use a full synthetic. I use a high mileage oil because of the extra zinc. My SSR is not high mileage.

If you have a 5.3 it is not required. I have a 6.0, but I use synthetic in my Silverado and Prius. I do not it use it in my 42 Ford flat head my antique tractors or in my air cooled mowers etc. I use Penn Green in them. That oil works great in them.

I personally use the high mileage Royal Purple in my Silverado, my Prius and my SSR. I use a KN filter in my SSR because of the high flow in the SSR. I use a Napa Synthetic or Wix synthetic (same filter) in the others. I used to use high mileage Mobil 1 oil in the others, but they changed their formula.

I have used Red Line in the SSR but I do not really drive that hard to justify it.

Six quarts cost about $25 extra. I change oil every year or 5,000 miles. I it about always once a year.

IMO

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
It’s been a couple of years since I did any real research on oils. As far as I know there are only a few real, true, synthetic oils on the market. The only ones I know of are amsoil, Mobil 1 and royal purple. I do not believe the other brands such as pennzoil, valvaline and Quakerstate produce a full synthetic. They are allowed by the government to claim their product is full synthetic because of some screwed up politics. If they take a conventional petroleum product and process it a certain way they are allowed to sell it as full synthetic. I have been using amsoil since it came on the market 20 or 30 years ago. If I don’t have amsoil at the house when I’m doing an oil change I will use Mobil 1.

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This discussion was very helpful.

Didn't know about the baloney regarding "full-synthetic" sometimes being bogus.

I will use Mobil 1 or if I discover a better price Amsoil.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,240 Posts
As for Mobil 1 price comparison . . .

Just last week I purchased a 5 Quart Jug of Mobile 1 Synthetic High Mileage for The Bummer. The price was a little over 25 Bucks while the same size jug of Name Brand Regular Oils were all in the 18 Bucks range.

The difference won't even pay for lunch so why would anyone even consider the compromise?

I don't drink Cheap Beer . . . why should The Bummer drink Cheap Oil?

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,898 Posts
If you have a Sams Club membership, keep an eye on their 6 quart cases of Mobil 1. They often have it on sale for about $26. I stock up when I see it on sale. Costco May do the same.

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
If you have a Sams Club membership, keep an eye on their 6 quart cases of Mobil 1. They often have it on sale for about $26. I stock up when I see it on sale. Costco May do the same.
:smile2:
Yes, Costco does indeed sell a lot of the 6 quart cases. For my rides, I get my Mobil 1 there and then haul to the Quick Lube joint and let them put it in. Good cost savings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts