Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that you can get more horsepower and torque from a new cam shaft and new rockers, whatever rockers are.

Does anybody know what the OEM specs are for the cam and rockers in the new 6.0L LS2 engine? Is there actually anthing better out there to replace them with? If so, what? Wha kind of difference will I notice?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Just supercharge it!!!!!! You can also spend more money to build the LS2 and still not have as much power as you will get from the supercharger. Then when you save the money after the supercharger add a cam, exhaust and a nice pair of heads and see over 500 RWHP.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
If you don't know what "rockers" are then I suggest you leave things alone and just drive and enjoy your SSR!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Comp cams do a range of perfomance improvements for the LS2. They have a cool intake http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products/Information/ManifoldLSX.asp as well as cam alternatives. The intake gives 20hp over stock.

Comp experimented with the LS2 and found that the stock valve springs lose effectiveness over 6200 rpm. More rpms = more power. By adding a cam, pushrods, springs and retainers, they found the motor was happy to be revved another 1000 rpm. Even if you don't want to wind the motor that high, by adding their cam, springs, FAST intake and 1.75 rocker arms using ported GM heads, the motor dyno'd at 540hp

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
2005SSR6speed is correct that horsepower for dollar, the supercharger is the most cost effective solution IF you are willing to spend at least $7000 for the kit plus proper installation.

Many people want to work in smaller inidivdual chunks of cash, over time.

My book gives you the information and costs on many of the more common mods to get more ACCELERATION (you can get more acceleration without adding power by being smart).

An example of a VERY big "bang for the buck" is changing the rear axle ratio from 3.73 to 4.56. That costs about $800 to $900 and knocks the 0 to 60 and quarter mile times down a LOT.

Jim G

·
Registered
134 Posts
A couple of points, the items I mentioned from FAST and Comp Cams will work just as well on a C6 as an SSR. The only item I am aware of as an issue is headers for an LS2 six speed. These parts are significantly less money than a Magnusson blower. Labor cost will be higher if you cannot tackle this yourself.

As for best horspower per dollar, lets not forget our friend Nitrous Oxide. Cost of kit is one tenth that of the supercharger for the same power level. I'm currently fitting this to my truck. I'll let you all know if this was a good or bad idea in the next few weeks!

Hey MATJOW, I'm just over in St Pete. Let me know if you ever want to get together.

Simon

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Phat300: The only issue is that the GM Tech 2 refuses to allow any entry greater than 3.73 for axle ratio on a PCM associated with an SSR VIN. You need aftermarket tuning software or a microtuner.

But, those aftermarket microtuners and tuning software for the 05 / 06 SSR are just now starting to be released apparently - and even that may be advertising lead in advance of real availability!

BobA has this problem right now. He is running the 4.10 axle on an 05, and so for now, his speedometer and odometer are both reading 10% higher than reality.

With a 4.56 axle, the difference in ratio becomes 4.56/3.73 = 1.222, which is enough to not only make both the speedometer and odometer read 22% high, but to also make the unadjusted transmission shift points (which are a 3-D function of MPH, engine RPM, and throttle %) far from ideal!

Psychoslaphead on this board ran into this 4.56 versus 3.73 issue on his SSR, and might be willing to share how he lived with it and whether he has or has not resolved it.

The nice thing about the 03 / 04 models is that the software and microtuners make all this incredibly easy.

Jim G

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jim, as always thanks for the great and honest advice. I'll wait on the gear change until the tuners become more available to avoid any misdealings with the wife (it's "her" baby).

B

·
0 Posts
I will let all know when we get the speedo right. I am hoping by wed nite. Probably be the next week thou, good ole Holidays. :seeya

1 - 11 of 11 Posts