Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may be close to working out a deal with my GTO for the 03 SSR.
I do have some other questions:

1-does the 03 & 04's have excessive cowl shake as some of the mags have
reported?
2-would it be possible to upgrade the frame to 05 standards as far as adding
the X-brace under the front suspension, etc?
3-how does everyone like the handling on the highway? I realize that it may
not handle as well as the GTO, not that I am looking for the SSR to feel that
way, but how do you feel about the SSR holding the road in different situations?

I am really looking forward to see if we can make a deal so I can become a SSR owner very quickly. If not, I will hold on to the GTO til the time is right. I know I will get one within the next two years if the 03 falls through.
Thanks as always for the opinions and comments...............................Tom

Did a search on the cowl shake, no need to answer #1.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,210 Posts
The Handling

I have no issues with the way mine handles. It is very responsive on flat roads, hilly roads, curvy roads, wet roads, snowy roads, but a little bumpy on gravel roads (which I avoid ). Pot holes are a problem on the tires as they do not have a lot of side wall give and may burst if bad enough (had this happen once, it was unavoidable). It's not a ZO6 Corvette, but it's far above average.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love my '03 and notice no shake except when bouncing over a bad road but nothing unexpected. Handling is great, and the turning radius is surprisingly good. Highway driving is smooth as you would want and higher speed accelleration to pass is always there. I drive long distances in mine (6 to 7 hours at a clip) and am very comfortable. I especially like it when the bass from my stereo rattles the side mirrors!

Go for it!

:party :party :party :party

·
Registered
501 Posts
Driveability

I've got an 03. Isold my 84 Vette to my brother and replaced it with the SSR.Yes there is cowl shake on washboardy roads not any more noticable than the vette.Mine has the X-brace under the frame.Its' very stable at any speed, well up to 135 mph so far.These things can really hang a turn! very little body roll.Maybe I was getting tired of the Vette but this thing is alot more fun to drive and is way much cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts