Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
915 Posts
Everyone with an interest in the SSR saga please read the @Cash reply in its entirety. The bankruptcy filing could not have come at a worse time for our treasured vehicle, but I think as others here have opined that the exclusivity is a plus. Some may disagree but I think GM had visionaries, but I think the $2bil payout to Fiat and Sergio Marchionne to cancel Fiat's put option illustrated a lack of bargaining skills. Original deal should never have been made, nor Saab purchase. It was downhill from there till the Feds called the shots and thus part of the SSR's demise.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well for what ever reason we own our SSR doe,s it really matter as long as your happy with the ride and permagrin that come with it? As for traveling to see other ones at meets I really don,t have that option as although I now know of 20 over here it is pretty un likely I will meet up with another owner at a show. Like Dicktator points out, is or was there another hard top convertible pick up out there to choose from, some how I do not think so and that makes it unique in my book!

·
SSR Pit Crew
2006 Pac Blue FPR Auto
2,417 Posts
Just another dose of BS and Ignorance concerning the SSR . . .

My theory as to why the SSR did not sell as some desired . . . GREED. Primarily, DEALER GREED.

Shortly after the SSR hit the streets and became available to the general public, I began searching for the perfect SSR. My search took me all over Southern Arizona as well as the Phoenix Metropolitan area plus even over to Southern New Mexico. Overall, I casually searched for more than a year and every Chevrolet Dealer I contacted was zapping the price up by at least $5k over Sticker Price. Some even as high as $10k over Sticker.

Remember, a Window Sticker Price has more than ample profits built in.

I grew up in a General Motors family and have driven General Motors Vehicles all my life and was shocked at the GREED and ARROGANCE plus a great deal of STUPIDITY with the majority of the sales personnel.

Bottom line . . . we have the GREEDY Chevrolet Dealers to thank.

! :cool: ! :p ! :cool: ! :p ! :cool: !
Curt, your mentioning Chevrolet dealers as being greedy (4 months ago) brings to mind my purchase of a new Harley back in 2002. I was on a list for purchase and when it came in, the dealer had added the cost of 2 tone paint to the bike even though it was not a 2 tone plus $1500.00 for additional accessories whether I wanted them or not. It was a take it or leave it with plenty of people in line if I passed on the purchase. Now you go into a Harley dealership, they want to be your friend and make you a good deal on the Harley of your choice. Now they're withering on the vine from what I've heard.

Dave

·
Slingshot Rules!
82,994 Posts
Curt, your mentioning Chevrolet dealers as being greedy (4 months ago) brings to mind my purchase of a new Harley back in 2002. I was on a list for purchase and when it came in, the dealer had added the cost of 2 tone paint to the bike even though it was not a 2 tone plus $1500.00 for additional accessories whether I wanted them or not. It was a take it or leave it with plenty of people in line if I passed on the purchase. Now you go into a Harley dealership, they want to be your friend and make you a good deal on the Harley of your choice. Now they're withering on the vine from what I've heard.

Dave
Perfect example of a double or even triple dose of KARMA, Dave . . .

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,877 Posts
In 2009 we met Bill Davis, Chief Design Engineer SSR Production at an SSR Rally in Florida. Bill owns two SSR.

We asked "Why is the SSR so expensive" and Bill said " Do you know what you have?? The next Hard Top Convertible (at the time) is the Mercedes at $80,000 dollars".

He went on to ask " If we had put a "Rag Top" on the SSR, would you have bought it"? We all shook our heads "NO".

Is it perfect, of course not!

But neither was my first Car that I was so excited about, a 1938 Ford Tudor, standard, 3 on the floor with 60 hp V/8. And I paid top dollar, $125.00 bucks! Dam, a lot of money, year 1953. I was working on the farm, .25 cents an hour.

I named my '38 Ford "Mayflower". So many girls came across in it.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Another article to add to the list. Not much new that hasn't been stated before although I always thought the SSR was more of a "hobby vehicle" vs primary transportation for most. I thought the write up was fair recognizing that most judge auto success by sales numbers not other traits. Sold mine years ago but might be on the hunt again as it is missed.........even though that extra garage space is nice :)

P.S. Nice picture of an Aqua Blur

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,057 Posts
Love Umpire13's vanity plate that (wife), Jackie ordered..... "DATETRK".... "bout sums it up, eh...

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,633 Posts
Sold mine years ago but might be on the hunt again as it is missed.........even though that extra garage space is nice :)

P.S. Nice picture of an Aqua Blur

Have you bought a Raffle ticket from the International Rally? a $100 SSR, it's even Aqua Blur, could solve your missing Permagrin :cool: If NOT---check here----UPDATE - 2021 International Rally SSR Raffle - UPDATE

Nick

·
Super Moderator
14,220 Posts
I detailed a lot of my opinions in Post 19' - trying not to be too redundant here
I believe it was snomuncher that mentioned he had never heard of the possibility of being built on a Corvette frame - I have never read that either.
This writer seems to be just another that is trying to draw attention to himself. I have no idea why the frame would make a difference - is the metal in the Corvette frame lighter?
Also, if you follow my Deceased Thread you will note how strong the SSR is in roll overs and major accidents. The SSR is a very safe vehicle IMO

I was a single guy when I first saw the 2003 displayed. I had 2 Corvettes and a 73 TR6 as well as my 02 Grand Cherokee LTD - just could not justify the purchase of the SSR, another 2 seater, but I loved it.
Another contributing factor was the $85000 tag in Canada.

The price - Americans were fortunate
The weight - the only plastic on an SSR exterior is the rear bumper and front fascia. The way they produced our front fenders was amazing IMO. Of course it is a lot heavier than the fiber glass Vette but I love the metal (even though I have owned 8 Vettes)
The power - GM had the ability to put the 6.0 in at the time but chose to put in the 327 (5.3L)
I am not sure what the target market was at the outset but I think the 5.3L took the 30's gang out of the market and the SSR became the 50 - 80 yr old guy fun truck.
BTW, I have never driven or ridden in a 5.3 but I am sure they are great -have not heard many 03\04 owners complain

What would I rather have today - a dressed up 2004 SSR vs 2004 5.3L Vette?
I am going with the SSR.
You never see articles about the less than special Vettes

Also, I regret the SSR failed for whatever GM misses, but I can go several months without seeing another SSR other than car shows.
I like that - other people can appreciate how special Kate is to me

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I detailed a lot of my opinions in Post 19' - trying not to be too redundant here
I believe it was snomuncher that mentioned he had never heard of the possibility of being built on a Corvette frame - I have never read that either.
This writer seems to be just another that is trying to draw attention to himself. I have no idea why the frame would make a difference - is the metal in the Corvette frame lighter?
Also, if you follow my Deceased Thread you will note how strong the SSR is in roll overs and major accidents. The SSR is a very safe vehicle IMO

I was a single guy when I first saw the 2003 displayed. I had 2 Corvettes and a 73 TR6 as well as my 02 Grand Cherokee LTD - just could not justify the purchase of the SSR, another 2 seater, but I loved it.
Another contributing factor was the $85000 tag in Canada.

The price - Americans were fortunate
The weight - the only plastic on an SSR exterior is the rear bumper and front fascia. The way they produced our front fenders was amazing IMO. Of course it is a lot heavier than the fiber glass Vette but I love the metal (even though I have owned 8 Vettes)
The power - GM had the ability to put the 6.0 in at the time but chose to put in the 327 (5.3L)
I am not sure what the target market was at the outset but I think the 5.3L took the 30's gang out of the market and the SSR became the 50 - 80 yr old guy fun truck.
BTW, I have never driven or ridden in a 5.3 but I am sure they are great -have not heard many 03\04 owners complain

What would I rather have today - a dressed up 2004 SSR vs 2004 5.3L Vette?
I am going with the SSR.
You never see articles about the less than special Vettes

Also, I regret the SSR failed for whatever GM misses, but I can go several months without seeing another SSR other than car shows.
I like that - other people can appreciate how special Kate is to me
It is certainly they didn't "go all out" on the '03 and '04 and have an LS2 OE and 6 speed as an option. I think that would be a difference. But it will always be a specialty vehicle, so the four years was probably good.

Dave

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
114 Posts
Most critics don't know about 4:10 or tunes, they just go by an OEM spec sheet.

Is there a write-up on the 4:10 installation?

·
Registered
2004 Ultra Violet
25 Posts
WAY back in 1961, At St Richard's Elementary in Bloomington, MN, a bunch of us saw a Ford Fairlane retractable hardtop convertible parked just outside our playground. The owner, wanting to show off, said, "Watch this." We boys looked on in utter amazement as the hardtop of the car lifted off and got nested away neatly inside the trunk. I never forgot that moment. Coolest car moment I ever saw. The only thing that ever came close was when, over 40 years later, I saw the SSR do the same thing, but in an even cooler way. It took us a while to own one, but now I get to relive that "cool" moment anytime I want to! And with a throaty rumble and my "best girl" at my side. Sometimes, she even lets me drive! 😁

That is why we own one.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts