Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone else thinks on this. When are you guys doing your first oil change? My dealer says to wait until 3000 miles but I've always done it at 1000 miles on others. Also who's running synthetic oil and when are you switching to it? I've heard it many ways, wait until 10000 before switching, switch immediately, and synthetic is a waste of money. What do you think?

·
Registered
413 Posts
oil

Ive been an auto mechanic for 35 years and in my opinion oil is oil.The only thing that is important is to change it

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:confused And what about fuel? The manual says to use regular, but I have been using high test. I can't imagine using regular gas in an engine like this! My mechanic friends have said to use the regular and that high test may actually cause some harm? You gotta be kiddin...how can high test cause harm? Bottom line is, which do you guys suggest, high test or regular?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey fellow Tennessean. I also changed out the factory oil at 1,000 miles and went with Mobil 1 10w-30 and an AC Ultraguard Gold UPF-44 oil filter. This filter has the GM part#25329389. They are a bit hard to find and retail for around $8 but they're rated as one of the best oil filters you can buy. They not only filter (small microns) well but they have a great flow rate which is very important also. I won't argue all the opinions as to type and brand of oil to use but if you go the site bobistheoilguy.com you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about oil. These guys are petroleum engineers and are way over my head in their discussions but Mobil 1 does get a lot of positive comments. The oil filter from the factory is tightened way too tight so get a good filter wrench to wrestle it off. Good Luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
fuel

these engines are set up to perform best on regular fuel no gains are to be made by using higher octane fuel You are just wasting a few dollars per tank as for oil filter I agree always use a GM filter and whichever oil you wish Synthetic oils are alright for new engines if that is what you want to use but I have had bad luck using it on older engines

1 - 6 of 6 Posts