Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Work gave me a early birthday present last month. Late next summer I'm moving to Germany, Ramstein AB. It's a 3 year gig and can be extended up to 5. Looks like I'll be able to come back to Langley AFB to start retirement plans. Not sure I'm taking the SSR. I'm sure it would turn heads and be a hoot to drive on the Autobahn. My concern is shipping it there and back. I know plenty military personnel who had bad experiences with shipping vehicles. Also don't want it sitting in storage for 3 years either. I have a friend here who just built a second garage. Thinking of leaving it with him and let hit be a "temp" Fanatic.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Take it!

I was stationed at Ramstein back in the 70's. It's a great place to be in Europe. You can easily drive to France, Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Denmark, etc... You will kick yourself big time if you don't take the "R". I have driven there a lot, the autobahn was great with a 2002ti, can't imagine what it would be like with the "R". Either way, you are going to have a great time. Make sure you get out and see things. Austria was my favorite country, breathtaking scenary and unbelievable castles. My wife and I want to go visit sometime soon. Have fun!!!! By the way, I live in Suffolk, VA just down the road, I'll babysit your "R", it would look great next to my Blur!:nono:glol

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I shipped a Hip top Chevy van to Germany in 1989 and back to US in 1994 and had no damage in either shipment. Just saying sometime you get lucky!

·
SS Owner, Not SSR But SS
2,409 Posts
i have a bunch of friends there that are HHR members and owners and great folks
several have been here for meets in the states, Dragon this last October
i went to Germany in 97 and loved it

have fun and enjoy and there are a few SSRs there but hard to find

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
I lived just down the road from Ramstein in a small village called Quidersbach, worked at Volgelweh and Kleber Kaserne in the early 70s. Had an Alfa Romeo 1750 Veloce and loved driving the Autobahn.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
I think you would be financially ahead to buy a European car over there.

In the 60's when I was in Germany many of the military were buying cars (Duty Free) and bringing them home to resell at a good profit.
At that time the American military could buy/order new cars through the PX.
A family friend bough a new Caprice.

My Dad a Canadian soldier brought home a Mercedes 600d 300SEL gas motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts