Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone replaced the stock muffler years ago on our 03 years ago. It was not the proper size or flowing muffler. Well, it finally rusted of at the back of the replacement muffler.
I was thinking of just putting a straight pipe in place of the muffler right now. Has anybody done this and how loud is it really?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,367 Posts
That should be easy and CHEAP enough to do and see first hand. Loud/tone--depends on how I have my hearing aids set!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
19,710 Posts
There is a guy around my place with a Daytona charger with 392 Hemi , man when he jumps on it it’s loud

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Someone replaced the stock muffler years ago on our 03 years ago. It was not the proper size or flowing muffler. Well, it finally rusted of at the back of the replacement muffler.
I was thinking of just putting a straight pipe in place of the muffler right now. Has anybody done this and how loud is it really?
Thanks in advance.
Does OHIO have State Inspection or Emissions check. May not pass with out muffler.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,434 Posts
No emissions check in Ohio, we have a short bed Ford pickup with no mufflers, not too loud in my opinion. Besides chicks dig it right?!

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,438 Posts
It's great Ohio does not have any admissions test. Many and said that the best sound you can get from your SSR is with straight pipes. When just cruising it has a great Rumble and only Roars when you really get on it! But that's with the 6.0. I would think the 5.3 would sound great also.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Would love for mine to be just a tad bit bolder in volume and tone. But I'd bet straight pipes might be a little much. Wish there was a truck around here with that set up to listen to.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
The magnaflow cross over muffler gives a very nice rumble when cruising. Not too bad with groaning inside the cab either when the roof is up. Love mine...

·
Georgia SSRers
1,008 Posts
Thanks in advance.
I run a straight pipe with Mike's extensions.
VERY sedate when slowly taking off. NO WHERE as loud as a HARLEY.
BUT, BROTHER, when I stand on it, It TALKS TO ME... !
The catalytic converters lower the sound quite a bit. I WOULDN'T GO BACK, not on Mr. JACK (my Black)
CHARLOTTE (my Purple) has cut outs so she can cruise quietly.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Three items to keep in mind with how loud the exhaust is from my personal experience:

1. Stock vs. Long Tube headers
2. Use of a Y pipe vs. true dual exhaust
3. Catalytic converters.

I went full blown long rube, no y pipe, high flow cats and no muffler and tied back into the existing rear pipes over the axles and stock tips. Local law enforcement thought it was a bit loud. At launch my 6liter 6speed drowned out any Harley.

I put a magna flow straight thru on each side and it is now quiet enough to not cause problems but is still loud enough to get attention from the police during hard launches

Just my experience...

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Three items to keep in mind with how loud the exhaust is from my personal experience:

1. Stock vs. Long Tube headers
2. Use of a Y pipe vs. true dual exhaust
3. Catalytic converters.

I went full blown long rube, no y pipe, high flow cats and no muffler and tied back into the existing rear pipes over the axles and stock tips. Local law enforcement thought it was a bit loud. At launch my 6liter 6speed drowned out any Harley.

I put a magna flow straight thru on each side and it is now quiet enough to not cause problems but is still loud enough to get attention from the police during hard launches

Just my experience...
:|
I've been waiting to make a (point) relative to this topic. Frankly, I have the two into two magna flow and the results are fairly tame and I'm looking for more.

But when I get it to "bark" a little more, I (for one), will try to be considerate of my fellow SSR fanatics when we're booked into the same motel/hotel spot.

Case in point..............MAGGIE VALLELY----( 2018 ). Our room is located on the front side near the end away from the motel entrance. For what ever reason, many SSR attendees make the decision to (back into) their parking spot. Translation...........The exhaust pipes are pointed directly at the bottom floor windows.:frown2:

Now, add in those that are (early risers) and at the end of the event, they want to get going but it seems they feel the need to "warm up " their ride and maybe take the time to plug in routes on their GPS units..............All the while, disturbing and creating (noise and exhaust fumes) via the room units a/c unit..............:crying:

My message is..................Crank it up and move on out of your parking spot for your "warm up" and/or GPS input or what ever else you need to do before leaving the premises altogether.:frown2:

·
Sunshine SSR
282 Posts
I initially replaced the stock muffler with a Flowmaster to get more sound but not enough rumble and got a drone at 1700 rpm. Put in a straight pipe and a Y to the tailpipes and I love it! Have had it for five years and no issues. Has a deep rumble at idle and lots of crack when I step on it. MANY R owners have commented how good it sounds. Wife says its a little loud when cruising with the roof down but not enough to put a muffler back on. Go for it!
DonSSR

·
Two Tone Owner
2,653 Posts
I had a straight pipe installed and it was great with the top down, but the drone noise was too bad with the top up. I had the mufffler put back on with an electric exhaust cut out installed. Much better now. :yellow:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
emissions

In Medina County we do have emission testing. They only care about the cats.

Thanks so much for everybody input.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts