Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2004, and want more sound from the exhaust. I'm not concerned about performance.

Magnaflow has a muffler that is the exact dimensions of the stock muffler.

It is P/N 12578. Have any of you used this muffler? What's been your experience?

Does it make good "noise"?

thanks

Nelson

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I have the Magnaflow (not sure the part number). I love the sound.

(Use the Search to find what other mufflers people have used too before you decide.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Magnaflow

I have installed a magnaflow exhaust system on a 2005. Was a complete cat-back system.

The sound is great, quiet while cruising but louder when you step into it. Wife likes it
too!!

No resonance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My favorite is the Flowmaster 50 series. Flowmasters always sound great on GM's V8. 50 Series is mellow in the cabin abd very aggressive outside the vehicle. Nice rumble.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I have a Magna Flow 14577 installed on my 2004. I love the sound so much it hurt my gas milage. It's the same as the part number you listed but in the stainless and 2.5 opening.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Have a magnaflow also, but if you really want a great sound, and the performance that goes with it, go with some Supermaxx headers. Big difference :thumbs :thumbs

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Registered
98 Posts
Flowmaster 40

My wife actually drives the SSR. She has always (since we got the 05 in June) a bit on the disappointed side of the sound. She (and I too) was expecting a bit more balls in the sound department. She said "make it las loud as it looks" ...I could only think of one muffler that could produce that hot-rod muscle car sound without sounding like a 1976 pick-up with glass packs....

I put on the "original" Flowmaster sound; the 40 series (deltaflow -a slight bit daft than the true striaght 40). single 3.0 inlet and 2.5 x 2 outlets......WOW! This thing sounds so much better than the toned down drone of stock. At least you know when the engine is running now! :)

Before the only comments were on the looks (as we all know) but know we get the "what kind of engine/muffler is that?"

·
Registered
442 Posts
no more REAL duals?

It seems like since cat converters, hardly anyone tries for real duals. It seems like today, just having two pipes at the rear is enough, even if you have a 4 cyl. Honda. Somehow 2 into 1 into 2 is not duals to this old fart........... I had a new stick 318 Dakota and cut the pipe short of the cat and ran two pipes back but never got the O2 sensors right and that was a major error. Recently, I bought an '05 reg cab F250 V-10 (362 h.p.) 6 speed manual (been sold) and just removed the muffler and replaced the assembly with straight pipe. I did that to a 350 GMC stepside a few years back, too and it works well. Quiet enough until you floor it. Seems strange to pay money to get a louder muffler when you can just remove your muffler a lot cheaper?????/

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not so fast on those hack saws!

I for one used to cut out the muffler as well.. I did it on a 92 and a 95 chevrolet pick-up, my dad and 2 uncles did it as well on their 90 something GM's as well.... they had the "Y" pipe into one big cat after the manifolds. But once the dual high flow cats came out (the vortec era in 1997 with 2 small cats after the manifolds into one big muffler -by cerain definition a "dual exhaust") a muffler was in order. I know -I tried it on a 1998 Tahoe... BIG MISTAKE.

The reason was two fold. With no muffler on the new dual cat generation of vehicles, the muffler is an intragal part of the exhaust as it pertains to proper back pressure and engine performance. Also the noise is hidious to say the least (when muffler is cut out). I cant begin to even describe the horrid sound one makes; its like a loud exhaust leak..."tick tick tick tick tick tick" real fast. It SUCKED

The performance and economy also suffered. It really is NOT good for the engine ..alot of valve floating causing lifter chatter thus causing not only a "tick" sound at the tailpipe but also under the hood. So on to the Flowmaster. Using them ever since.

I too used to laugh and shake my head to those (rightly so in those days) who would spend money on a mufler when all they had to do was cut it out and put in a straight pipe. Again, that was with those big cats that acted as a muffler already. It souded sweet too. I for one (nor would GM or any mechanic or enthusist) would not recommend cutting out a muffer on the new cars and trucks these days....unless you want the sound of an overgrown lawn mower and the performance of a Kia and gas milage of a Ford. The gains arnt as great unless you put in a complete system (headers, after martket hi-flow cat or cats and muffler or mufflers).

So ya, I'll stick to using the "stock" placement of the muffler with a better aftermarket one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts