Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio home of THE Ohio State Buckeyes

You don't mention what year you own, it does make a difference.
There are also a lot of texas members, so getting to meet them and hear theirs could prove invaluable.
Many other threads on this, kind of like wax or motor oil.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
How loud do you want to go?

I've been doing this dance for quite a while now... trying to find just the right sound. Opinions abound. And no two are the same.

The cheapest and easiest thing to do is replace your muffler with a straight pipe. If you like that, you're done. If not, you start your search for the right one for you without being out a bunch of money. Oh, and keep your old muffler in case you decide to go back.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from central Ohio home of THE Ohio State Buckeyes

You don't mention what year you own, it does make a difference.
There are also a lot of texas members, so getting to meet them and hear theirs could prove invaluable.
Many other threads on this, kind of like wax or motor oil.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I went with an electric 3"cut out and Mike's 5" tips. Great sound with the wife on board, and the cut out with a 3" pipe dumping just ahead of the differential.
A "His and Hers" exhaust system. click this link for pictures. https://www.ssrfanatic.com/threads/mikes-exhaust-cut-out-install-pictures.57878/#post-1067569
Jack
:rolleyes:

yeah, I also did the (split the Y pipe) and two into two for the muffler and just ahead of that, I have "cut outs" also. In my opinion, the sound with the "cut outs" kinda half open do give a better sound, but at the same time..........not as what I really would like to hear for an exhaust tone.

It's more like a muffler that has developed a hole in it to me. If I had a "do over", I'd try the headers and performance "cats" and no mufflers at all but for the SE (Mikes tips).

I think that would maybe be more what I would like to hear...............but I cannot be sure at this point.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
I had the Y-pipe cut out and replaced with individual pipes from each side to a Flowmaster 12568 muffler with the built in x-pipe. "Two-in and two-out" to Mike's 5-inch exhaust tips. I like the sound and it puts a smile on my face every time I start the truck. Not too loud in normal driving, so if you are looking for something that's going to wake up the neighbors, you might just go with the pipes and forego the muffler (can always add the muffler if it ends up too loud).

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
I purchased this truck with this exhaust system. I received a lot of compliments on its sound and I just love it. I call the truck "Thunder" because of the rumble. It does have a set of headers also and I'm not sure if that makes any difference to the tone...

Custom exhaust with X-pipe, high flow cats & Flowmaster Super 44 dual in-dual out muffler, and topped off with MikeinAZ’s exhaust tips (https://shop.simple-engineering.com/product.sc?productId=15)
Good Luck!

·
Georgia SSRers
933 Posts
I would like to change out my muffler to get a louder sound, any recommendations?
I went straight pipe, NO MUFFLER.
Best thing I've ever done !
Not really loud unless you STAND on it, THen Its GREAT.
ACTUALLY not as loud as a Harley so cruising is no problem.
Went with MIKE'S big extensions. (of course, the cats are still on)

blackjack1.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I went with an electric 3"cut out and Mike's 5" tips. Great sound with the wife on board, and the cut out with a 3" pipe dumping just ahead of the differential.
A "His and Hers" exhaust system. click this link for pictures. https://www.ssrfanatic.com/threads/mikes-exhaust-cut-out-install-pictures.57878/#post-1067569
Jack

I went back and read your write up and link to pictures. Here is the comment that really got my attention.

"but it is not a harsh sound as are some that I have heard, I think it is the extra four foot of 3" pipe behind the valve that mellows it some. "

If you review my posting here, you will note that I don't think mine makes the "sound" I really want and is more like a "leaky" or a hole in the muffler.
Now in my case, I have the split Y pipe and a (two/in and two/out) Magna Flow setup. In your pics, I'm only seeing one cutout?? so I'm presuming you remained with the "stock" muffler and/or another aftermarket that is a (one/in and two/out).

Now I'm wondering if my custom muffler shop guy could find room under there to extend some length of tail pipe added onto the (two) cut outs I have to maybe give that better sound.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts

After further thought, I have an additional question or two regarding this comment.

"Next, even though it did not say anything in the instructions, I installed the butterfly valve shaft on the downstream flow side so the the seals on the end of shaft would not be under pressure which might lead to carbon deposits and sticking of the butterfly valve. (The instructions recommended oiling monthly with Liquid Wrench).:black:"

" I installed the butterfly valve shaft on the downstream flow side so the the seals on the end of shaft would not be under pressure "...............What are you saying here??? I cannot relate what you are meaning by (downstream flow side).:unsure: This makes zero sense to me...........and also leads to (having added the extended tail pipe section to the (cut out), how would you ever comply with the "recommended oiling monthly of the cut out with Liquid Wrench. My instructions said the same thing, and when ever I get under the truck, I can easily (now) squirt L.W. or Silicone Spray directly on the cut out butter fly.

But there is no way you can do that unless you occassionally unbolt that connection and spread it out so as you can then for sure lubricate the butterfly as prescribed.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I used the stock muffler and Mike's Tips. On my '04 I had cut the 2 into 1 and installed a 2 in 2 out Magna Flo. I hated the drone with the top up. This time after my wife would not ride in the truck with the 14" Magna Flo 1 in 2 out I removed it after one day and re-installed the stock muffler and Mike's tips. That made a very nice sound without the suppressers that are in the stock tips. Mike's tips are bugles. There is no drone. Then I put the 3'' cut out in and ran the 3" extension over the top of the muffler to dump just ahead of the differential. When you open up it is a great 60s muscle car sound , burbles, pops. But it does not have that harsh "hole in the muffler" sound.
I lubricate the shaft with Liquid Wrench (it soaks the shaft and penatrates where the shaft exits on both sides) on each side where it comes out of the housing. (I have had no sticking problems.) And the exhaust is not in contact with the shaft when the cut out is closed. On my cut-out the butterfly is on the side of the shaft.
Jack

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I used the stock muffler and Mike's Tips. On my '04 I had cut the 2 into 1 and installed a 2 in 2 out Magna Flo. I hated the drone with the top up. This time after my wife would not ride in the truck with the 14" Magna Flo 1 in 2 out I removed it after one day and re-installed the stock muffler and Mike's tips. That made a very nice sound without the suppressers that are in the stock tips. Mike's tips are bugles. There is no drone. Then I put the 3'' cut out in and ran the 3" extension over the top of the muffler to dump just ahead of the differential. When you open up it is a great 60s muscle car sound , burbles, pops. But it does not have that harsh "hole in the muffler" sound.
I lubricate the shaft with Liquid Wrench (it soaks the shaft and penatrates where the shaft exits on both sides) on each side where it comes out of the housing. (I have had no sticking problems.) And the exhaust is not in contact with the shaft when the cut out is closed. On my cut-out the butterfly is on the side of the shaft.
Jack
Jack
:)

OK, I get it now. your cut out is in the (side stream) of the exhaust flow. Think mine is too. Will have to look again to verify. Also, I can accept that L.W. or an alternative lube can indeed (penetrate) the cut out shaft and keep it all lubed up.

Most important to me, is the better sound you relate to from having added an extension to the cut out valve. I will indeed look into this as an option, actually, would love to have that "extension" flow back into the the (two) tail pipes and exit through the tips as normal.

Not clear to me yet if there is room to do all that................I will get back when I get a chance to have my custom Muffler guy take another look.(y)

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,003 Posts
My advice on exhaust. Muffler or no muffler don't go with what someone else likes or recommends. You have to like it and live with it. Listen to all kinds of systems before buying and even then you could be disappointed. What sounds good to me or the other guy or the muffler shop guy or your wife or whatever, doesn't really matter. It is your money and it has to sound right and good to you. So go slow and get the right one for you. (and your wife) My 2 cents and we all know what that is worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts