Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Displayed my SSR at a mustang show this Sunday and got first place in the "Concept" class of all things! Guess they don't realize it is a production vehicle. Beat out a very nice black and red prowler too!

I also spent saturday at micarcollision.com painting fenders. Baring any unforseen problems, I will finally paint my SSR myself! I am sooooo ready! :jester Attached is a fender I was playing with doing tribal flames and freehand shadows.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marc. I plan on taking step by step shots and putting them up on my web site but will share them here as well. I am so excited about doing this. :jester

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am doing all of the art work and prep work myself with base coats and eurothanes. Will use multiple layers of 1/8 inch tape to get a chisseled flame tribal look on the red shapes. A bit too complex to describe here, but I have practiced this over and over and am definately ready. Will use a step down process to apply the clear coat eurothane at the end. Basically, the finished graphic area has about a 1/4 inch boarder around it of the body color showing and you mask the rest of the vehicle and shoot the clear coat. That leaves an edge. You very carefully buff down the edge to create a very subtle edge. The other option is to clear coat both sides complete which takes more money and time. The clear cost a lot of $$. I doubt I will get any sleep between now and Thursday! Can't wait to get going on this design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts