Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished up last winters project. :)
It still has a flaw on the lower hardware which I will work on next week. :mad
I used 05 GM struts with my own hardware. ;)
If anyone is interested in the hardware kits I may make some in the future. :rolleyes:
This is for the strong hearted when you are drilling your hood (you see how good your ticker really is) :skep
Anyway here are the pictures :D

Right Side

Left Side

Any questions you can PM or email me
thanks
Tom

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah here a close up of the Billet SSR logo also.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,650 Posts
Super work by Tom!

2005SSR6Speed said:
Where did you get the SSR logo?
Tom makes those in his machine shop if I remember correctly. His design is awesome and he does super craftmanship work too! :thumbs

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Can you get a closer shot of the shock mount on the top? Great job. Where did you buy the shocks? Great looking Billet!!!

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
Awesome

Nice job Tom,

When do you want mine to be brought in to TOM'S SSR SHOP ?
Chris :thumbs

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the faint of heart.....

SSRCobra said about the drilling: This is for the strong hearted when you are drilling your hood (you see how good your ticker really is)

I looked at an '04 hood, and here is the safe way to drill, just break a bit of the proper size to a length that it can't penetrate the hood. Then go for it! (An old boater's trick.)

Nice job on the refit!

PCBeach
:ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Where did you get the SSR logo?

You can order from SSRCobra, just PM him and he will get right back to you...I did and it is a very well made logo...really happy with it, but after seeing his I wonder if I should have had him paint the "R" in Ultra Violet to match my baby :)

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,650 Posts
Chevy has designed hood struts for 03-04s!

wildcat66 said:
Can you get a closer shot of the shock mount on the top? Great job. Where did you buy the shocks? Great looking Billet!!!
Tom's work is super as always! :thumbs

However... please remember that there will be a 03-04 retro-fit gas struts for us in the very near future. This way you will have one that was specifically designed for your SSR hood as Chevy's official designed retro-fitting kit.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
PCBeach said:
SSRCobra said about the drilling: This is for the strong hearted when you are drilling your hood (you see how good your ticker really is)

I looked at an '04 hood, and here is the safe way to drill, just break a bit of the proper size to a length that it can't penetrate the hood. Then go for it! (An old boater's trick.)

Nice job on the refit!

PCBeach
:ssr

another way is to cut a piece of vacuum hose to length so just the tip of the drill bit is out of the hose

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Marc,
The ASC folks said the hood gas strut kit won't be for sale until January or February '06.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Close up shot of top

no problem on top

Close up shot of bottom

The top, drilling you hood is what you have to be careful with ( maybe make a drill up with a stop)
I used all Stainless steel hardware with all stainless pop-rivets (very strong) on the top

The Problem : I tried to hook on to the existing hole in the SSR fender on the bottom and the struts are so strong the are pushing down on the fender that might eventually bend. The solution : is that the lower hardware will have to be extended to come off a more rigid spot which I think I have found.

If and when I become happy with my set up there are 2 more local guys that I can test on. If I am happy with it I might be willing to make up kits for just the hardware and you can buy the 05 struts for GMpartsdirect.com or your local
dealer.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
They do make a drill bit depth stop. It's a steel doughnut with a set screw in the side. A set has different sizes to cover all drill bit sizes. Check any good hardware store.

Texster68

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you are interested in a hood strut hardware kit let me know thur a PM or someone set up a pole to see if they there is an interest. The more would lower the price.
Best regards
SSRcobra

1 - 20 of 29 Posts