Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like my name states I have 1/2 a SSR. I found the forum looking for a radiator bracket. The simnple eng. bracket is great.

The pictures below are not for the faint of hart. I’m sure I will be beat up.

I purchased a rolling chassis SSR. I’m installing a Jeep CJ8 body on it.... What a awesome frame (chassis) to work with....

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,976 Posts
Since the frame was originally designed to be a Trailblazer, why would a Jeep bee looked down on. It seems logical if you are not going to restore it to use as an SSR.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
A very interesting project. May I ask what the intended end use will be? Just a fun street cruiser? I would not think off roading is in its future as the SSR is not 4 wheel drive. Are you going to shorten the frame to fit the body or add to the body to fit the frame or do a little of both? Tell us more about the project.

·
SSR Believer
1,125 Posts
Glad you posted the photos! (y) I've never seen one with the body off. I've seen plenty of the underside, but never like that from the top. It's kind of like looking at a skeleton in biology class. ;)

What a great little project. Sad that we're sort of losing another SSR to history since not that many were made to start with (a little over 24K). But it's good to know that it's living on in some form. I suspect Jeep body parts are a whole lot easier to find! Consider it a complete heart donor. ?

Good luck with your project!

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
:rolleyes:

Looks like an extended amount of room between the back of the engine block and the firewall. Almost enough to stuff another engine behind the existing one and/or cut the frame and get the firewall where it needs to be.;)

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,143 Posts
Don't know what your back ground is but I have heard folks have had trouble getting it started after everything is complete. I guess it has something to do with the computers and the alarm system. I also heard there is a wiring harness to get around some of this. Might want to check into all that before you get two far along. Seems like all the computers in the SSR talk to each other for fuel, electronics, alarm, transmission etc. Not like a vehicle with a carb on it. Maybe you know all this already. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Hey welcome, and more power to you in re-purposing the SSR chassis, but it doesn't appear to be a very good "fit" to my eye?!

·
Slingshot Rules!
67,628 Posts
WELCOME, @halfSSR . . . from Southern Arizona.

Far from an expert here but . . .

I have a 1986 Jeep CJ-7 that draws a crowd whenever / wherever I go. One of the major attractions is the lack of "high tech" compared to the newer Jeeps.

Depending on need, possibly a drivetrain overhaul or upgrade on your CJ-8 . . . keeping it basically original while doing something more "sophisticated" with your SSR Chasis would be something to consider.

Good Luck . . .

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
41,560 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the finished results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s going to be just a street cruiser in the summer around the lake Erie islands.

i’m not going to shorten the frame. That space behind the firewall and engine would be great for TwinTurbo’s. Normally they go out the front I’m planning on welding manifolds so the turbos are in the back. Probably next winter‘s project

The ECM and TCM have been re-flashed. I have a brand new wiring harness that mounts the computers inside or outside the firewall.

The CJ8 body is a re-pop from the Philippines. I’m using very few actual CJ 8 parts.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,976 Posts
I like the SSJ nomenclature used above. Keep us informed as you move along. This would be a good thread for you to use to keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
5,118 Posts
It’s going to be just a street cruiser in the summer around the lake Erie islands.

i’m not going to shorten the frame. That space behind the firewall and engine would be great for TwinTurbo’s. Normally they go out the front I’m planning on welding manifolds so the turbos are in the back. Probably next winter‘s project

The ECM and TCM have been re-flashed. I have a brand new wiring harness that mounts the computers inside or outside the firewall.

The CJ8 body is a re-pop from the Philippines. I’m using very few actual CJ 8 parts.
Thanks for the update. Going to be a neat cruiser, definitely one of a kind, sounds like you did your research before you tackled such a project. My son does these kind of projects.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts