Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It had sat undriven for a couple of months in my closed garage. I thought it was water in the gas. I put a bottle of Heet additive in it with about a half tank of fuel. It did nothing.

So, here are some options I have:

Remove all gas from car. I have the pump and tubing to do this. I will have to buy some containers as I now have almost a full tank.

Take it to a Chevy dealer and let them diagnose it.

Take it to a reputable garage not associated with a dealership.

I don't think my chasing it down is a viable option. My only expertise is with my 63 vette with a four barrel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I had the same experience with my 05. Eventually it evolved to be a specific cylinder, and I replaced the plug. It also happened in the spring after sitting all winter in a heated garage. I also dtied Drygas or Heet, to no avail. Believe it or not, it happened three years in a row, untill I finally replaced all the plugs. Been fine since then.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,901 Posts
Faulty spark plugs and wires are becoming a more frequently reported cause for random misfires. Here's one thread with a similar problem:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I've been down this road.

I'm 99.9% sure it's your plugs and/or wires.

You can use a $10 Bluetooth OBDII adapter and the free app called "Torque" to read not only your codes but to read in real time the number of misfires per cylinder.

Anyhow, I chased this exact problem for about a month in 2019 after my truck sat for quite some time. I explored every possible logical cause for weeks. Turned out it was the plugs and wires.

By the way...DO NOT let it misfire. At all. I burnt up my catalytic converters just idling in the driveway as the misfires were igniting fuel in the cats. They turned cherry red instantly and blew chunks out the back. Lesson learned.

Here's a thread from when I chased the same problem as the OP in 2019...plugs and wires fixed it. The original wires broke apart in pieces trying to remove them. I'd venture the wires are more the culprit than the plugs.

HELP!!! Sitting 3+ Years, Lean/Rich/Misfire Codes, Cats...

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,274 Posts
How difficult is it to replace wires.
Wires are straight forward. Twist and pull off the coil, then twist again on the plug and pull off the plug. There are only two that require more patience, #1 the front on the driver side is below the bundle of wires from the fuse box and next to the temperature sensor and #2 the front on the passenger side is very close to the frame. Removing the 10mm bolt at the front of the surge tank, and then rotating it forward is required to reach the front plugs on the passenger side.

Full disclosure: I do this relatively frequently to change the plugs, which is part of running a supercharger.

I too have chased this issue and found mine was a coil. I knew it was the coil after swapping one wire and the code stayed with the cylinder, then changing the plug on that cylinder and the code stayed with the cylinder, then swapping the coil and the code moved. After changing the coil out and having no code, I knew I solved the problem. The feeling is huge knowing exactly what the problem is and that it was solved, vs. throwing a host of parts or changes at the problem and maybe fixing it or maybe not.

I then did the plugs and wires as a PM for an upcoming upgrade.

UPDATE: here is a post from me with a few pics while changing the plugs, that shows the surge tank, etc.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,291 Posts
@Dicktator I checked on the bulletin on the fuel pumps for the 05 and it had to do with the sending unit, not the pump it self. They did replace the complete fuel pump over just the sending unit. The sending unit would not cause a code like this person is having. The gas gauge would not work right, but the pump continues to still pump the gas with out an issue. Unless there is another bulletin that I have not found out there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"By the way...DO NOT let it misfire. At all. I burnt up my catalytic converters just idling in the driveway as the misfires were igniting fuel in the cats. They turned cherry red instantly and blew chunks out the back. Lesson learned."

so, should I have it towed to the garage or can I drive it?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
"By the way...DO NOT let it misfire. At all. I burnt up my catalytic converters just idling in the driveway as the misfires were igniting fuel in the cats. They turned cherry red instantly and blew chunks out the back. Lesson learned."

so, should I have it towed to the garage or can I drive it?
Don't drive it if it is misfiring severe enough to make the check engine light BLINK. Turn it off immediately.

Even so, I personally wouldn't chance it even if the misfire condition was mild.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Get the iridium plugs...long lasting
Great idea. The original plugs are no longer available in the exact OEM spec.

One thing most tuners of the SSR agree on is the NGK TR6IX #3689 spark plug, which is an iridium plug (for longer life...changing plugs on these trucks isn't all that joyful). They are a "one stage cooler" spec plug for reduced pre-detonation/ping. They are a must even on mildly-tuned trucks, as a hallmark of any tune is increased ignition timing, which can predispose your engine to ping even with compensated air/fuel ratios.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts