Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Cash...I loose my cats in the house! I might may a suggestion tho’ if he was in good health he may be locked in somewhere by accident. Garages and sheds seem to be a cats hunting paradise. I don’t think you should give up hope....nine lives for these guys.

·
Super Moderator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Cash...I loose my cats in the house! I might may a suggestion tho’ if he was in good health he may be locked in somewhere by accident. Garages and sheds seem to be a cats hunting paradise. I don’t think you should give up hope....nine lives for these guys.
Thanks, but as I have had two cats over the past 16 years, one died because of health issues
Thor was not a box or drawer kind of guy - he was my buddy on my lap
I know in my heart he has died of old age or worse gotten caught by a coyote - - I hope not but I live in a country location, and I think it is my fault for not protecting him
He was deaf or at least going deaf - i missed yakking with him even if he did not understand
He would not have heard a predator approaching him
I needed to secure my property to make him safe

I had a decrepit wood fence I took down but did not replace it yet

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cash, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I had to put my 9 year old Bull Mastiff down this winter in California. It's tough and our house is very quiet.
John F.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,587 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Did he have a chip or have you checked the pound. May have gotten picked up or turned in there. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It has taken me a while to write this
I rent a room to a fellow, and he found Thor leaning against a fence - I guess he just died of old age
As my best friend for 14 years I decided to have him cremated so I could keep him with me, rather than a back yard burial on a property I may eventually sell.
I believe in cremation for myself so why not for my friend as well

He is in a nice box that is in my sightline 24 hours a day - not on a mantle I look at once a month.
On a plus side, Thor died peacefully
On another plus side, by not sleeping or eating for a couple of weeks, I lost about 30 pounds worrying about him

I have a friend that calls - the first words out of his mouth are, "how is Thor"
I can't speak about Thor without completely breaking up, so I am not looking forward to that conversation.
Phil always wants me to put Thor on the phone. I have attached a picture of Phil and Thor - not looking forward to our next conversation.

Anyway, Thor is with me and I will look after him

Attachments

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Tears well up in my eyes reading this as I can so relate to your situation.
Glad you found him. May he rest in peace and may you find some closure.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,068 Posts
:cry:

Nick

·
Super Moderator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Thor was a character
When I went to the mailbox he would charge across the yard to walk with me, much like a dog would.
I have a huge master bedroom where I have a small office - 2 theatre chairs and a full king suite.
My back issues make it so I am comfier in the theatre chairs.

I made a space on the bed for Thor and he spent a lot of the day there - a step ladder to the bed as well as my desk.
He would often surprise me and tromp all over my keyboard!
He never had a problem hopping up on me in the theatre chair.

Trying to figure out his drinking habits was a bit of an issue
Thor did not want to drink out of a bowl. He wanted to drink from the toilet with his paw so I needed to keep that sanitized.

Then I remembered a time when my younger son Alex visited and Thor would slurp out of his glass that he kept in the console.
I started to keep a full glass for him, making sure it was covered by cloths as he was a sloppy drinker

Anyway, that worked - but so funny -when he was thirsty, he would stomp over my stomach to get there
He would bat at the blinds when he wanted to go outside
Before he would go outside, he would look back up at me, as though asking for permission - I would pat him on the bum and away he would go
Then, in the middle of the night, I would keep the light on and make sure I stayed awake so I could keep him safe.

I have so many Thor stories
When he died I am pretty sure he knew he was loved - and still is.

·
Premium Member
69,304 Posts
I understand,,,,,,,, Rowdy was my last dog... and he had a seizure and pasted away in my arms.....but I still remember him.....we now have Jake...but he is no Rowdy.....I have a picture of him on my desk and some days I remember a certain event or events.....I will never forget him...and you will never forget Thor.....but some days will be better than others..... so have plenty of good days...Blue

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That is one beautiful and unique cat. I do not know if I have seen one like that before. Being born and raised on a farm/ranch we always had cats around. They were especially friendly when I was milking the cows.

14 years is a good long like for a cat for sure. The last one we had died at that age also. We have been petless since then. Luckily the neighbor has a cat that comes to visit and hunts the ground squirrels in our neighborhood. My grandkids are starting their own "herd" on their new country place. One German Shorthair, three kittens (one for each) three ducks and eight chickens.

·
Registered
539 Posts
So sorry for your loss Cash, especially tough at this time. I would call Phil and let him know instead of waiting for him to call and blindside you. I lost my greyhound Crew 4 months ago so I feel your pain to some degree.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Cash (and to all of the members of our family)
Yesterday I was thinking about you and Thor, wondering if you were able to find him - I am pleased that you did. Cash, your life with Thor is such a wonderful story, having read your posts I feel as though I know Thor and your special realationship with him. You should think about writing a children's book about your life with Thor, and how unique he was. I must admit, due mainly to alergies, I have always been a dog person. In reading your posts, one cannot help but relate Thor's habits to that of a well trained dog. Having at least one dog (and generally two or more) in the house, since I was a small child, the unforunate side of these special relationships is the short life span of our pets. Anyone who has experienced the special relationship we develop with our pets and the pleasure we receive from this relationship, understands just how painful and, for a while, how empty we feel when one of our special friends reaches the end of their life. The upside we experience, and something we never lose, are the special memories we reatain. I can still recall, and believe me it has been more than a few years, those special moments with my first dog - Toy. She was a mixed breed that I was forunate enough to select from our local "dog pound" as they were referred to back in the day. After Toy passed, their was, Token, but only for a year as Token was a 4H project for the "Guide Dogs for the Blind". After Token left for his formal "training", came, in the following order, Susie, a miniature collie mix, Benjamin, our beloved Bearded Collie, and, Gizmo, our tough little Terrier who once was attacked by two doberman pinchers who had eascaped their back yard and made the mistake of wondering into our front yard where they were confronted by Gizmo, the 7 lb. terror. I like to say that he caused the demise of one doberman - who choked while trying to swallow poor Gizmo. Quite surprisingly, he lived, fter two surgeriess, 400+ stitches and a lot of trauma, he surprised everyone and lived a full life to the age of eighteen (18). You can imagine the pain we all felt when, due to an advanced case of undetected cancer, I had to put him down. I can still feel the anguish I felt, as Gizmo was truiy "my pet" - he loved to ride, went everywhere with me, even to work - I had a special chair just for Gizmo in my office. He was the first dog that I had cremated, i still have his remains on the top of a special desk in my home office. Along with Gizmo, on my "special desk", are Suki 1 and Suki 2, a pair of Shih Tzu pups (2 followed 1), who definitely helped ease the pain of losing Gizmo. If you have never owned, or been around a Shih Tzu, you have missed a real treat. During this period of my life, we also had the pleasure of two beautiful German Shepherds, Gretchen 1 and 2, a Bearded Collie by the name of Gretchen, and a crazy Cavalier King Charles by the name of Cosmo that I purchased as an 8-week old pup. Currently we enjoy the company of Smoochie, a small terrier mix, and Minkie, a special purebred "Puff" - a Chinese Crested Hairless with hair - go figure. She was given to me by a special friend who for a number of years was my partner on the police department, and later became a business partner. His wife breed and showed Chinese Crested. After his death, in memory of Gary, conjoined one of her "hairless" Crested champions with a "Puff"- a long haired champion who also had a long line of dog show trophies. Only one pup of the liter of 8 was a dog with hair, which I now own. Talk about anxiety, when I am home this dog follows me everywhere, even into the bathroom, if I leave her outside she will scratch and whine the entire time. Thank goodness this girl loves to ride and enjoys riding in "Ole Psycho" with the top down. She has become the latest in a long line of Gizmo "additions", certainly not "replacements". Along with all of these "companions", with the exception of Smoochie and Mink, came the heartache of eventual death. All of these personal pets lived a long life for their breed, from 10 years + - for the Shepherds, to 18 years in the case of Gizmo, and everything in between. The last thing I want for my pets is to suffer the pain associated with end of their life. I prefer to put them down, rather than let them suffer. Believe me when I say, what Cash is experiencing, is what we, and especiallly me, felt each time i had to say goodbye to one of my close friends - the pain and dispair are excruciating. Cash, this is a good reason why you should go to your local "dog and cat pound" and let one of the felines select you as their new caretaker. No disrespect to Thor, but I am sure he would want you to share your love with a fellow feline, especially one who's continued existance depends on you and folks like yourself. Never a "replacement", just an new "addition" to the Cash household.
I apologize to those member's of our special family, who have not had the pleasure of a close personal pet, for the length of this post, perhaps I should have sent this in a PM to Cash. To those who have experienced this pleasure, I know you will understand why I decided to post this personal response on this particular forum, at least I hope you will.
DJ

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cash, I feel your pain as I have been down this road a couple of times myself most recently this past Feb. I feel the joy and happiness a pet brings you more than offsets the bad days you have when you lose them. I am sorry for your loss . Hang in there, every day gets a little better , at least that's what I keep telling myself.
John F.

·
Super Moderator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Cash, I feel your pain as I have been down this road a couple of times myself most recently this past Feb. I feel the joy and happiness a pet brings you more than offsets the bad days you have when you lose them. I am sorry for your loss . Hang in there, every day gets a little better , at least that's what I keep telling myself.
John F.
DrDJ, thank you - this is a bit late as I have been in a rough time
I am not sure where everyone was left, but I found Thor, leaning against a fence - died naturally - at least died peacefully, but I will miss him always
I had Thor cremated and his remains are not on a shelf out of sight but in a location below my TV that I see every day.
I think of him all the time and did not plan on a replacement friend
A friend of mine gifted me a pup that is sort of driving me crazy

She is not mischievous! HaHa!
Better than nibbling on my fingers and toes

But she is so cute and getting better every day

Attachments

·
Slingshot Rules!
70,021 Posts

Awwwwwwww, Dale . . . definitely a CUTIE.

Give her time. I bet you'll be eating out of her paw in no time.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
DrDJ, thank you - this is a bit late as I have been in a rough time
I am not sure where everyone was left, but I found Thor, leaning against a fence - died naturally - at least died peacefully, but I will miss him always
I had Thor cremated and his remains are not on a shelf out of sight but in a location below my TV that I see every day.
I think of him all the time and did not plan on a replacement friend
A friend of mine gifted me a pup that is sort of driving me crazy

Along with "better every day"-----BIGGER every day :cool:

Nick

·
Super Moderator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I am probably too old for this puppy stuff, as much as I love her
Take her for a walk and my shoulders and arms are a mess.
She mistakes my commands, around the house

Miki has confused "Sit and Stay" with "**** and Pee" wherever you want
I may be too old to be a granddaddy - she sleeps on/under my feet - makes it diff to get up to the b/room

I am trying to get her from chewing on my "house" - fooka me!

BTW, not sure what the old WW2 stuff was on TV but those guys that looked down the sights to drop the bombs, well Mki would have been a washout. The eyes are good but dropping the load on target is far from good

·
Super Moderator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Update on Miki
  • Cute as hell
  • Mischievous as ever
  • Chews anything in sight.
  • My entire house is her toilet
I have tried to block everything, but she found a way into my dining room/living room and was dumping the load there
I have seen several movies where you are captive in your own house - I did tell you she is cute and I do love her!

Cost to date, estimated

Miki - gifted
Vet bill #1 - $480
Vet Bill #2 - $320
Name Tag -$60 (with recovery numbers)
Release leashes - $120 (x 2 -she eats them)
Carpet Washer - $400
Pet/dental insurance - in the event she breaks a tooth on my ankle
Food? - whatever - I can cut back on my stuff

I think it is going to be a tough-love thing to potty train her
Her bathroom habits are not working so far, and as I am told, the longer I wait the tougher it will get
It will be a tough 2-3 weeks for both of us, but from the people I have spoken with "cage training" is best.
I have a large cage, she stays in it, won't sleep in her own stuff. I take her out periodically to defecate - reward her and put her back.
Supposedly this lets her know outside is where it happens. Some opinions from pet sources have expressed pee pads don't work
They have been semi-working here but I have to say, maybe I have not done this correctly - but certainly less than satisfactory results here

Anyway - she is cute as a button with eyes that will bring you to your knees until you notice she is chewing on your socks!
I have a jacuzzi tub in my ensuite that I don't use - shower only.
The tub has become a storage unit - but I am running out of places. HaHa!

I am trying to sort out how to make Miki my best friend and neither one of us drops our laundry in the living room! HaHa!

I find myself talking to myself here - knowing that tough love for parents is sometimes the best thing.
It is not going to be fun for either of us but hopefully, we will both be better for this.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
No experience here,BUT, I have heard others say the cage/crate is a really good way to train them. Hang in there!!!!

Nick

41 - 60 of 61 Posts