Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a new engine!!!
the induction sucked in wated from the rain and that apparently jammed my engine, anyways the dealer says i have to pay $8500 for another 5.3 engine.
any advice because i am geting fed up with all this bad service. i paid $200 just for them to look at my engine.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,652 Posts
Bizarre happenings...

moe said:
i need a new engine!!! the induction sucked in wated from the rain and that apparently jammed my engine, anyways the dealer says i have to pay $8500 for another 5.3 engine.
any advice because i am geting fed up with all this bad service. i paid $200 just for them to look at my engine.
You are pretty unclear in your description of your problems. Your circumstance to me seems to be some what bizarre. We need to hear more details to understand more clearly as to what actually happened to you and why the dealer would be charging you $200.00 to just look at your engine which normally would still be under warranty?

Was there any abuse or neglect or perhaps was your SSR involved in a flood? More details please!

·
Registered
192 Posts
moe said:
i need a new engine!!!
the induction sucked in wated from the rain and that apparently jammed my engine, anyways the dealer says i have to pay $8500 for another 5.3 engine.
I agree with Marc. It doesn't sound like we have all the info. Why wouldn't they replace this motor under warranty? Do you have an aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also agree that info is missing. It would take an ENORMOUS amount of water down the intake to cause a problem And what is the problem, bent rod or? IMO rain is not going to cause ANY problem.

·
Registered
421 Posts
400 HP LS2 6.0L for $5,499 or 500 HP LS7 7.0L for $13,595

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...?UserID=262102&SessionID=iGP8AOxvbj5KQY5AaCzD

Top > Small Blocks > LS2 Crate Engine 6.0 Gen IV 2005 Production 12499750
LS2 Crate Engine 6.0 Gen IV 2005 Production 12499750
Click here for: Warranty info, Start Up Instructions

SKU: 12499750
RETAIL: $7,500.00
PRICE: $5,499.00

LS2 Crate Engine 6.0 Gen IV 2005 Production 12499750 Description
2005 LS2 Engine Production Engine.
A bigger, more powerful next-generation small-block from the new Corvette!
With the all-new, 400-horsepower LS2, GM has once again raised the bar for production-based small-block V-8 performance. As the standard engine in the 2005 Corvette-as well as the 05 Chevy SSR and 05 Pontiac GTO-the Gen IV 6.0-liter LS2 builds on the success of the popular Gen III V-8 engine with more displacement, power and technical innovation.

The LS 2 is built on a new Gen IV cylinder block, which shares much of its design with the previous Gen III V-8 design, including a deep-skirt, six-bolt main block with structural oil pan. Subtle differences include the crankcase vent moved to the top fo the valley, relocated knock sensors and the cam sensor moved to the front of the engine. The LS2's cylinder heads are high-flow pieces used previously on Corvette LS6 engines. High-tech features, such as an electronically controlled throttle make the LS2 a state-of-the-art performer.

The LS2 crate engine comes complete witha composite intake manifold, electronically controlled 90-mm throttle body, fuel rail with injectors, balancer, exhaust manifolds, water pump and a 14-inch flexplate for automatic transmissions. It comes witha Corvette oil pan installed.

Note: Pulley, belt, powersteering pump, air conditioning pump, starter, alternator and engine cover are not included with this engine.

The LS2 can be adapted to older cars and street rods.
A handy reference guide (LS1 book # 88959384 See link below)is available to help install the engine in older cars with minimal guesswork.
88959384 - LS1 Engine Kit Installation Guide Although written with the LS1 in mind, the dimensional and casting similarities between it and the LS2 make this handy guide useful when swapping a new LS2 into an older vehicle. It illustrates all you need to do to make it fit. The guide includes notes and technical explanations on necessary parts, along with part numbers you can order from your GM dealer to get the job done easily.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...lock-17802397-Coming-Fall-of-2005-P930C2.aspx

Top > Performance Engines > LS7 Crate Engine Small Block 17802397 Coming Fall of 2005
LS7 Crate Engine Small Block 17802397 Coming Fall of 2005
Click here for: Warranty info, Start Up Instructions
Availability: This engine will immediately backorder,scheduled release date not yet available.

SKU: 17802397
RETAIL: $19,865.00
PRICE: $13,595.00

LS7 Crate Engine Small Block 17802397 Coming Fall of 2005 Description
This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium. The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Ditto on the more info.

Where were you when it locked up and how hard was it raining?

We drove through some torential down poors in Florida during the Hot Rod Power Tour and didn't have any problems, and then again in Atlanta on the way home with what seemed to be 4" of water on the roads.

Maybe your service center isn't being truthful with you.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Moe's reply on the thread "Does anybody let friend's drive their SSR? " was "Of course, I don't really care if they do, they come to my apt. and take my keys and leave "

I doubt he knows what happened, how it happened, or where it happened, and I doubt he cares

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I can't imagine rain causing an engine to hydraulic, unless it's over 4 feet deep. :lol

Please note Moe says "water from the rain"

Ray

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,652 Posts
Strange happenings...

41chevcoe said:
... I doubt he knows what happened, how it happened, or where it happened, and I doubt he cares
I would have to agree! Only four posts on our site and then we hear about some weird happenings with no clear or logical explanations so that we can understand what has actually occured or happened. :confused

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was the 1 driving it the rain and went through a couple of puddles. i have liability insurance so they wont pay(full coverage for me was $15,000 a year!... i know) the dealer said that the warranty doesnt cover it, my respond was the car isnt reliable in the rain its not my fault and they said that it wasnt their fault either. the car is stock ive been in the states for a month and thats how old the car is. this really sucks the dealer is determend to make me pay alot.
----
41chevcoe
Moe's reply on the thread "Does anybody let friend's drive their SSR? " was "Of course, I don't really care if they do, they come to my apt. and take my keys and leave "

I doubt he knows what happened, how it happened, or where it happened, and I doubt he cares
----
i am a student here with my friends and every 1 of us bought a car so we have a big choice. no one cares if a friend takes there car

·
Registered
56 Posts
Time to get legal help!

If you were driving your vehicle on a highway and in normal conditions - and rain certainly counts as normal - and this failure occured as a direct result of this then the engine is clearly not 'fit for the purpose for which it was designed' in which case you claim for a replacement. My SSR sure never had a sticker that said don't drive when it rains!

Forget the dealer - go straight to GM

I recently had a Cadillac gearbox fail on me (STS) - it was out of warranty and GM Dealer refused cover under warranty (it was 800 miles out of warranty!).

Took me 3 months of letter writing to GM but in the end they came clean and paid the bill.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,200 Posts
Follow the process

Moe,

There is a process to follow in this case for resolution. Arguing with the dealer is NOT a solution. If the dealer is not representing your vehicle to GM as a warrantable claim, you will have to take the lead.

1) Contact the GM Customer Assistance Center and open a "Service Request". Be very descriptive of the issue here, as it will be represent you (and your problem) and must be able to descriptively stand on its own. This is the official way of getting your issue up the chain of command to GM. The phone number is 1-866-932-4368. The case number generated there will be key. GM reliability is measured by the metrics of satisfactory resolution of customer problems at this level. This will get your problem onto the radar screen of the factory.

2) If this fails to bring resolution, contact the BBB Auto Line @ 1-800-955-5100. This is also in your warranty information. This is an independent ( although supported by GM) dispute resolution process that can provide mediation and arbitration. GM does not really want to let things get to this level, as it also has an affect on their performance metrics.

3) Get a Lawyer. Provide him with a full set of documentation (you are keeping written records of each conversation, right?) of who, what and when you talked to. This is the step that follows failure of step 2 to resolve your issue.

4) Contact the "Customer Relations Director" at yor dealership before you go to your local media and bring this to public view. The dealer will not want the negative publicity and should be very interested in early resolution to avoid damage to his reputation.

I hope one of the well-versed members ar a Dealer will step in here and correct my ramblings if I am in error.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Would help if we knew more info about what the engine is or isn't doing. How is started out! Did it immediately die or overtime just stop working? Does it start at all? More details.

Also I think the comment about letting friends drive, leads to the fact that you never know what people do with your vehicle when they are driving it. Not everyone is a responsible driver.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
There is still more to this story than moe is telling us.

Student
$50,000 car
Lets anyone drive it
No one cares if a friend takes there(sic) car
$15000/yr insurance
Puddles (note: water covering street in New Orleans is not a puddle)
1 month old car

come on moe... Fess up and tell all!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
We had a Firebird that when it would rain hard and heavy it would stop running. Just quit in the road. We would wait sometime 20minutes, sometimes longer. We finally found a mechanic that knew what was wrong, the dist. cap was getting water in it and no spark. Fixed and ran great after that.

If you can't afford insurance how can you afford a new engine?

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
Couple more questions.

Was the car new or used?
Did you buy from a dealer or private?
When was the car built?
Where was it sitting between build date and sale date?

I have had mine in some real serious downpours here in Florida. Never a problem.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,652 Posts
There must be More to the Story then we are hearing here...

moe said:
i was the 1 driving it the rain and went through a couple of puddles. i have liability insurance so they wont pay (full coverage for me was $15,000 a year!... i know) the dealer said that the warranty doesnt cover it, my respond was the car isnt reliable in the rain its not my fault and they (dealer) said that it wasnt their fault either. the car is stock ive been in the states for a month and thats how old the car is. this really sucks the dealer is determend to make me pay alot.
A) Your vehicle would obviously be covered if it only happened in the rain. Barring other unknown factors such as i.e. you drove negligently or recklessly through a flooded area and tried to expect that the high water levels would not affect any real damage to your engine etc.
B) If the dealer told you that your warranty doesn't cover it, it strongly implies to me that there was some kind of abuse that might have occurred, either by the owner or an operator of your SSR.
C) FYI: The dealer doesn't really care who pays for the repairs. GM's money is just as good as yours so why would the dealer want you to pay for it unless you were found to be at fault?

Other observations regarding some of your comments:
1) Driving through a “couple of puddles” will not kill or completely destroy an engine.
2) If your liability insurance is that high ($15,000) a year, then there must be a sound reason for it being that high.
3) “The dealer said the warranty doesn’t cover it… and they (dealer) said it wasn’t their fault either?” We are missing some key information here that would tell us what actually happened to your engine and why the dealer says they won’t cover it.

FYI: If you PM me and give me the dealers name and number I will personally call them to find out what is going on here. If they are not truly treating you fairly then I would recommend you call the 1-800-222-1020 to Chevrolet to formally register a complaint with them.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts