Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the new engine, I've been toying with the idea of trading in my '03 Slingshot Yellow SSR for an '05. So I put some feelers out at a couple of the dealerships here in Dallas. I bought my '03 a week before Christmas for sticker + $1,000, which at that time, in this area, was about as good as I could do. It has 1SB, Cargo Trim, running boards, saddle bags, cago net, hitch, premium paint - basically everything - and stickered for $46,840, so I paid $47,840.

Anyway, one of the dealers got a black '05 in on Thursday (9/16), so I went to take a look at it. Sticker started at $42,430, 1SB ($1,900), automatic (free), chrome wheels ($1,500), body color accent package, including painted running boards and auxillary guages ($1,400), cargo trim ($895), custom mats ($85), cargo net ($220), cockpit windbreaker ($350), license bracket ($15), and destination ($625) - total sticker $49,420. The manager implied they were selling this one for sticker, (but they had only had it for a few hours and it didn't even have the sticker on the window yet). By the way, they also had a base '04 on the lot - sticker of $42,020 (no options) that they are selling for $37K! - 5K off sticker! He said he thought he would sell the '05 for $49 before he sold the '04 for $37 - ouch.....

Here are my first impressions:

1> Truck looks EXACTLY the same - even the tailpipes (which I read somewhere were to change to 'dualies') are identical to the '03.
2> Integrated guages look very, very nice.
3> I would worry that the painted running boards would get scratched-up pretty easily.
4> I don't prefer the chrome wheels, as they don't 'fit' with the brushed aluminum look of the front grill, door handles, seat roll bars and dashboard. I think the stock wheels with aluminum running boards look better - but this could just be my personal preference.
5> Hard cover over the rear bed is now removable, I don't know how easily, - although we didn't try it for obvious reasons.
6> Flimsy hood prop has been replaced with dual struts that operate nicely.
7> Engine looks nice (and big), except the new plastic engine cover looks cheap and flimsy - even compared to the one on my '03.
8> We started the engine and the exhaust sounded exactly the same to me. I was really hoping 90hp would make a big difference here.
9> No one seems to know when we will see the first 6-speed.

I noticed all of the '05 SSRs in inventory in this area (as listed on GMs' web site) have trucks configured alot like this one - 1SB, chrome, etc. so it looks like the dealers here are loading up the options on the first '05s - just like they did on the first '03s. Another dealership gave me a 'soft' offer of about $35K in trade for my truck, which, by the way, is immaculate and has 5900 miles.

So my initial question is - Is 90hp worth $14K? Especially when no one except you and me, and my right foot (and oh yeah, my wallet) will ever know the difference. If my truck depreciated $13K in 9 months, why should I buy another one and probably experience more of the same? Don't get me wrong - I love my truck. I'm just mad that after only 9 months (and 3 models) we are just now getting the engine we ALWAYS deserved and should have gotten from the get-go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
hard bed cover on all ssrs are removable 1 bolt on each side and slide it off

·
Registered
349 Posts
2004 vs. 2005

Well put, beewee! It's just another marketing ploy. The thing to do is wait for the '06 (or maybe '07) and get the all wheel drive version. I'll bet that it will be unique enough to hold its value better.

I, too, am disappointed with the performance. I also have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with a 3.4 liter V-6 and TRD supercharger. It is significantly quicker than my '03 SSR, but not too much to look at. I'm going to stick with my red '03 (#369) until someday, someone will make me an offer I can't refuse.

I'm just scared that I'll start having some of the many problems that so many on this forum have experienced. I don't have the time or the patience to babysit the small town dealer to try to get something fixed. I hold my breath every time I drop or raise the top, carefully prop open the hood, or run through broken glass that I didn't see. It's really the most fun vehicle I've ever owned, but GM sure missed the boat on basic design offerings. :rant

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts

Hang on to your 2003 beewee. Not enough reasons for me to change for.
:) :)
Rumer has it that in '07 the ZR1 corvette is to come back for a limited appearance with the LS7 engine. Same time the '07 SSR may have a limited run of 500 with the same Engine. I put my name on my dealers list on Friday. All I can do is wait and hope. And that will be worth the wait.

:party :party

·
Registered
705 Posts
I do too wish we had the newer engine from the beginning but you can't blame GM for doing it this way to sell a bit more cars. I still think adding a supercharger will cost less than trading my 03 for a new one in a couple of months. I may do that when the warranty is over. any comments on that?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Affordability

I've decided the only way I could afford a 2005 is if I bought a used one.
So when someone is going to sell their 2005 manual SSR, drop me a PM :sleep
Until then (or until I hear about other great things GM might add to the SSR that I want but can't have) I'll be counting the rock chips on my hood. :nopity

I must say that my SSRitis may now become SSRevny...I hope no one else comes down with this affliction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2007 Ssr

I too am strongly considering trading my 2004 for the 6-spd 6 liter 2005. I would definitely wit, due to the massive depreciation hit, if I KNEW that all wheel drive was coming, making this a 4 season vehicle. Does ANYBODY know for sure?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I guess i am in the minority but I am well pleased with my ssr and feel that it has plenty of power I did not buy it to race and do own other highperformance vehicles My sugestion to others is instead of paying 10 to 20 k trading for a 05 spend 5 or 6 k and install a supercharger and you will have 390hp or more

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
numbers

dohyatt,

Yes, after crunching the numbers, the only reasonable conclusion is to add a super charger....although I really did want the manual. I guess you can't always get what you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
6 liter

I went and drove the auto. A LITTLE more snap in acceleration, to me more noticeable in midrange than off the line. Certainly not worth the investment. I've always felt the 5.3 was enough power, just wish to unhook it from that mediocre 4sp auto trans. Again, would really be interested in AWD, any word?

C

·
0 Posts
6 Spped availability

6 Speed available around November 1.

I drove two of the auto's yestreday at a GM product introduction for the new SSR and C6..

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
I drove the 6 speed many times. The last time was in Arizona the day before I retired. We did a really nice job on the 6 speed with almost perfect ergonomics with the shifter and very good clutch feel and action. I personally would stay with the automatic because of the torsen and the traction control for bad weather running, but we did engineer one of the best manuals I have seen on a GM vehicle. We had to wait to introduce this because we needed a "truck" engine developed within all of the regulations and there was none available for an '03 introduction.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Manual

Now I really want one.....hope I win the lottery :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
looking4_an_ssr said:
dohyatt,

Yes, after crunching the numbers, the only reasonable conclusion is to add a super charger....although I really did want the manual. I guess you can't always get what you want.
I agree why lose 10,000 or more when you can get a supercharger and install yourself for about 5000. When they have more improvements in a couple years I will trade up.
Neal

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
If I still had my 03 SSR (don't ask) and I was concerned about its power, I would have to resist the urge to put on a supercharger.

Why you ask? The 05 SSR comes with the 4L65-E (M32) automatic which is an automatic tranny that is rated for higher horsepower than the 4L60-E (M30) that is in the 03/04 SSRs.

If you can safely boost the engine output, you must still be concerned with the everything in the driveline beyond the engine.

In both the 05 SSR and 05 C6 Vette, the LS2 6.0L engine is married to the 4L65-E automatic tranny.

Just keep that in mind when making your choice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Huhhhh?

freezer said:
... I personally would stay with the automatic because of the torsen and the traction control for bad weather running, but ...
Why is there no traction control with the 6 speed? My new GTO has a 6 speed and it has traction control.

Diggs

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I personally love the "Growl" of the 5.3 litre engine in my 03. Just my preference. I know it does not have the HP of the 05 but I am extremely happy with my growling little black monster the way it is! I don't believe the newer SSR has the same "Growl", but I could be wrong. Does anyone know if it does? :seeya

·
Registered
45 Posts
growl

I agree, I actually likie the growl of the 5.3 better than the 6.0. It's subtle, but I believe all the time tuning the exhaust note on the 5.3 really paid off.

Again, at this point would hold out for AWD. Freezer, do you know anything about that option possibility?

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
There would be a lot of repackaging for AWD. It could be a possibility with a really hot engine sometime in the future. I do not see that happening anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts