Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my original 2003 SSR is now up for sale on eBay. I went to the listing page and noticed the VIN is the same as my original 2003 SSR. I pulled my purchase paperwork and confirmed the VIN match.

It's had the OEM rims chromed, flowmaster exhaust added and a lower kit added. It also has the center console gauge package, which I installed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4618554955

·
Registered
21 Posts
higher

Bet it is good to see the ole girl again. Have you noticed that the ssr's,( the 03's anyway) that the "buy it now" prices are higher than they use to be. I use to see the buy it now prices for sometimes as low as 26,900. Now they are all up in the 30's and the one up at the $33,900 area. Asking is different than selling tho- but looks like the trend is going up. Maybe people better start buying now you suppose????

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Buyer Beware . . . .

ssrmeniac said:
Bet it is good to see the ole girl again. Have you noticed that the ssr's,( the 03's anyway) that the "buy it now" prices are higher than they use to be. I use to see the buy it now prices for sometimes as low as 26,900. Now they are all up in the 30's and the one up at the $33,900 area. Asking is different than selling tho- but looks like the trend is going up. Maybe people better start buying now you suppose????
I'm really confused . . . . why would someone pay $33,900 for a used '03 when they can buy a NEW '05 for LESS ? :nono

Find me one of these fishes, I have an '04 I'd love to sell them. :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
WearyEagle said:
I'm really confused . . . . why would someone pay $33,900 for a used '03 when they can buy a NEW '05 for LESS ? :nono

There are only 3000 '03's and they are the first year. That is a plus.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The second owner has put less miles on this SSR than I did before I traded it off (to get rid of it). All I can hope is that it performed far better for the second owner than when I owned it (in the shop virtually every week).

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
shiftz33 said:
The second owner has put less miles on this SSR than I did before I traded it off (to get rid of it). All I can hope is that it performed far better for the second owner than when I owned it (in the shop virtually every week).
Why don't you email him and see why he is selling. Tell him why you got rid of it and ask if he has had the same problems. Might be why its on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
WearyEagle said:

:agree

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dingbat said:
Why don't you email him and see why he is selling. Tell him why you got rid of it and ask if he has had the same problems. Might be why its on Ebay.
I'd rather not "stir things up" with this seller. If the truck has performed well for him then so much the better. I don't want to cast a positive or negative shadow over this vehicle sale. It's just interesting to see my former SSR for sale again. :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Used '03 versus NEW '05 ! ! !

SSRJIM said:
There are only 3000 '03's and they are the first year. That is a plus.
You can't be serious, Jim. :eek

That '03 would ONLY be of any significant extra value if a collector had every color of every year of SSRs and was missing that particular color in an '03.

Now, had GM only produced 3 of those '03 SSRs, your arguement would have more validity, but not 3,000 ! !

Maybe Jay Leno checks on e-bay. :jester

·
Registered
63 Posts
Value

First year production is always the most valuable. 3000 units is nothing for the worldwide distribution. You can bet the 03s will become the most colletable down the road a few years. But lets just be happy we all are fortunate to have our SSRs, we will be a small "club".Hang in there, Howard:seeya

·
Registered
190 Posts
Howard said:
First year production is always the most valuable. 3000 units is nothing for the worldwide distribution. You can bet the 03s will become the most colletable down the road a few years. But lets just be happy we all are fortunate to have our SSRs, we will be a small "club".Hang in there, Howard:seeya

Usually the first year of a new vehicle is not necessarly true...Think back to the 1984 Vette...worst resale value of any Vette to date. In fact the 1985 had over 55 changes or improvements made...:seeya

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,303 Posts
'84?

The first year for corvettes was '53 but you knew that already right srpbaer???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Higher

All I can say is what I see on E-bay. The asking prices are higher than they were. Whether they sell them or not at those prices I don't know. Asking prices and selling prices are alot of times different. But I see a trend trying to go up and I think that is heck of alot better than seening them going down. So hey lets all think positive. One has to admit it is a superb little one of a kind vehicle which very few have. What would be better than to have one of these and also see the prices incline, not only on the 03's but all of them 04", 05's, and the sixes, automatics, six speeds, 300 hp, 400 hp, red, blue, black, or what have you..So I hope that people do start getting those prices and it sure ain't the little truck is not worth it in my opinion. With that in mind and limited supply with Chevy's first attemt at retro, I think it very well could....We could all be supprised some day....

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Howard said:
From a Carlisle Media article:

"Restoring any collector car to prime condition can be a challenging task. If that car is a Chevrolet Corvette, the bar is a bit higher. And if the Corvette is a 1953, the first year of production when only 300 were assembled, the potential problems and cost can increase exponentially. Currently, a nice example of a '53 Corvette will change hands for between $110,000 and $130,000."

Inflation plays funny games with us. Had the purchaser of even this collector of all American collector cars put the purchse price of his '53 Corvette (I'm estimating to be around $3,000 with all costs included) into a relatively safe, conservative investment like the DOW, which over the last 50 years has increased in equity an average 11.2% per year, he would have $833,056.74 ! !

Please don't misunderstand me. I love my SSR. Its the contractor's ideal work truck, office, and hot rod combo in my opinion. I actually look forward to the 100-150 miles I put on every day. :) AND, I will agree, once production has ended (I think this week) pricing will creep up on existing SSRs or at least the depreciation rate will decrease. This is all good and I'm happy for all of us.

But, I think most potential purchasers of an SSR would pay $33,000 for a new '05 sooner than $33,000 for a used '03, which was my point.

·
Registered
288 Posts
WearyEagle, your point is well taken from the point of view of someone that drives and enjoys the use of the car. I feel the same way but from a collectors point of view it is differant. I know two of these people and I dont understand it myself. They are looking for something differant and limited. You never know what they will like. The best example I can give is the Prowler. I would never buy one because of the ride and the power but collectors like them because they only made about 12,000 of them. The serious collectors will tell you to only buy the purple one because it was the introduction car and they swear it will become the most valuable.:cool :cool

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes it did and I still miss it.:cool :cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts