Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am Back after moving from AZ back to GA and sealing my 2015 Vette and my 2018 Z06 Vette the wife and I was trying to find a nice low mileage 2005 or 2006 SSR so after looking for a month I was about to give up and just order a 2020 C8; up popped on carGurus a nice Low mileage Silver 2005 with only 10,290 miles so long story short we drove up to Nashville took the drive made a deal and on what had to be the coldest snowiest day in Nashville, the wife and drove up to pick her up ( Did NOT WANT TO DIVE 225 Miles on 15 year old tires) and here are some pics.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
39,055 Posts
Nice find looks good !!!!!!! (y)

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,434 Posts
Welcome back. So glad you did not give up the search.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
3,115 Posts
Nice ‘05. My wife has an ‘04 Silver garage queen.
My question is : How did the Colorado get along pulling the SSR. I have a ZR2

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did good it’s a 2016 with the V6 I averaged 15.1 gas mileage even over the long pull mountain just outside of Chattanooga 225 miles on 3/4 tank one way average speed 65. How do you like your ZR2 ? they weren’t out when I bought my 16.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
So glad you're getting your PermaGrin back! Nice looking truck!
Hope to see you at a Rally this year! Lots of great ones in Maggie Valley, NC, Chocolate and Covered Bridge Tour in PA and Finger Lake Tour in NY!

·
Daily Driver
8,876 Posts
Looks like it has all the bells and whistles, good luck. Those tires would have been OK if you kept the speed down, especially in cold weather, but it would be a good idea to replace them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Colorado should do an outstanding job. My son-in law just bought a new one with V6, 309HP in a 2019. I towed my race car all over the southeast on a relatively heavy trailer in the early '70s, including the mountains mentioned by Legend Lime in his reply, with a 1968 Chevy 10 shortbed PU, 180HP two barrel carb, and a three speed manual with overdrive. The 4.11 gear helped it pull and the overdrive let it cruise in comfort on the flats. These newest Colorados have all kinds of gears available for any pulling situation with the eight speed auto. However if you really want to be able to pull something huge(G24 Ski Nautique)on a regular basis these days do as my son did and opt for a 2500 Duramax! 2020 has a ten speed auto. Whew...
Tuckerred :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
The Colorado should do an outstanding job. My son-in law just bought a new one with V6, 309HP in a 2019. I towed my race car all over the southeast on a relatively heavy trailer in the early '70s, including the mountains mentioned by Legend Lime in his reply, with a 1968 Chevy 10 shortbed PU, 180HP two barrel carb, and a three speed manual with overdrive. The 4.11 gear helped it pull and the overdrive let it cruise in comfort on the flats. These newest Colorados have all kinds of gears available for any pulling situation with the eight speed auto. However if you really want to be able to pull something huge(G24 Ski Nautique)on a regular basis these days do as my son did and opt for a 2500 Duramax! 2020 has a ten speed auto. Whew...
Tuckerred :cool:
:rolleyes:
I certainly agree with your final option being going with a diesel cause their torque for pulling a heavy load is the best answer. As to your '68 PU, your 4.11 gears and a stick made the diff.

My 2005 Chevy Avalanche with the V8 automatic, will pull my aluminum bass boat without a problem and it did OK with a smaller single axle motorcycle enclosed trailer. However, I onetime needing to haul a couple of big Harley Tour models........I rented a 14 foot dual axle enclosed trailer. It absolutely "killed" as to being able to get down the road.

Would get up to cruising speed on the interstate only and get into overdrive only to very quickly drop back down a gear as it just couldn't maintain speed with that heavy load. They installed a electronic trailer brake option on my truck and I had to also buy a larger hitch ball....over 2 1/2" as I recall. Made the trip to Gatlinberg and back OK, but do not think I could do it multiple times before the auto trans would have crapped out.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is definitely not recommend to drive on tires that are over 10 years old. You are courting disaster for the cost of a few hundred dollars.
Tires ordered and will be in on Tuesday $1389.00 life time rotation, flat fix, balance, and tire replacement on road damage anywhere in the US love that Discount Tire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts