Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning started off fairly well and I went to the local Chevy dealership that has seven SSRs sitting on their lot and have had several on their lot for months.

I took out an 03 SSR with 1SB package and running boards and just about all of the factory supplied options. This test drive was GREAT. :)

Took the SSR on another short test drive home to confirm the SSR would fit in the garage and to drive it on the semi rough roads that surround my home. Again this particular SSR did well on the drive and the SSR fit (barely) into the single car width garage door. Things were looking up.

We returned to the stealership (oops) to have it out on the price. I would have traded in my 04 Nissan 350Z Touring Edition with 4600 miles on it for the SSR. The KBB trade in value for my area for an 03 350Z was 29200.

The sales manager "called three Nissan dealerships to figure out" they could only offer me 24750 for my 350Z. :cuss My 350Z is the Touring edition not the base model.

The sales guy was amazed when I simply got up and walked away stating that we had no way to make this deal if they're trying to steal my trade in. I was offering 17000 cash difference with the trade in of my 350Z.

The sales manager stopped me at the door and claimed they had to have the "credit application" since it was their property. And I stated it was my property since it has my info on it and nothing from this deal. I ripped it out of the sales manager's hands and walked out.

So close.....

There could be a reason they've been sitting on so many SSRs for so long.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Hope you get that 2005 SSR.
Good for you, when the deal goes south, just walk away!!!!
Been there, Done That!!:thumbs

·
Registered
152 Posts
Walk 'way

Seems that some dealers, despite the huge overhang of inventory, still do not get it..... the market says a well/fully equiped '03/'04 SSr should sell for in the order of $40-41k.... (see eBay or dealers that are actually selling their inventory)... WTS, they cannot afford to take ANY re-sale risk on a trade as they are at or under 'dead cost'....SO, why not arrange for your trade to be purchased through them yourself if they have what YOU want and the no trade price is acceptable to you....

You could also just be patient as, come late June-August, when it is apparent what the '05 pricing will be (and also the upgrades) and that the current inventory of the '03/'04's are not moving such that the market goes through another "readjustment" (likely to the upper mid $30's> i.e. $36-38K) you can get what you want for a price that is more equitable....

Note.... SSr sales in April were off nearly 20% from the prior montaccording to the automotive press and WE know that volume is May will not be good either.... and production just goes on.... be patient my friends as I am sure we will get good pricing on SSr's in the coming months (and we know that they are worth waiting for at the mid to upper $30's!)

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can certainly wait until this fall. I was hoping to have a drop top vehicle (like my wife does) for the summer, but it's not a requirement.

I was just so funny how the sales manager's attitude changed to one of anger when I was walking out.

I was willing to accept the trade in value for my 350Z (29200 or higher according to KBB). My offer was about 2800 under MSRP for the SSR. I built in about a $1000 profit on top of the dealer holdback ($1249 according to consumer reports pricing report). They were certainly going to make a profit on the SSR and a profit on the 350Z because 04 350Zs are selling well here in NorCal.

The dealership's response to my offer was $25000 plus my car. My offer was $17000 with my car in trade. They dropped my car $5000 and upped the SSR to full MSRP for an 03 with seven of them sitting for months on their lot. What are they thinking? :nono

Oh well. It was REALLY hard to jump back into my 350Z Touring and drive away. :cool

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried another dealership (Folsom, CA). They have two 04 SSRs (one new and one slightly used). They won't go below 1500 over MSRP.

I just called the Folsom dealership again today to see if we could agree on a price and they still won't drop the unit to MSRP and they are also under pricing my trade in. The Nissan dealership showed me the wholesale numbers from recent auctions for my 350Z Coupe and they were 1500 over what they'll give me for trade in. :boxing

It doesn't look like a SSR is coming to stay in my garage any time soon. :mad

·
Registered
277 Posts
shiftz33,

You should be able to buy a ssr at msrp at this time? I think your located near San Francisco, wouldn't be much of a drive to come to southern Cal, buy your ssr and drive it home. If you want, I'll talk to my local dealer and see what they will be asking for a smoken asphault they are getting in two weeks? e-mail me if you want me to check?

·
Registered
110 Posts
shift 123

I sent you a private message regarding a slightly used one, or a dealer who sells below msrp. If either interests you , just let me know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:flag

Shiftz33

I just bought a 2004 redline red, in April, from Michael Klein, Fitzpatrick Chevrolet, on Diamond Boulevard, in Concord, California (925) 689-6500. I paid MSRP. I did have to call 23 (no exaggeration) California dealers to find one who would sell me the color I wanted at MSRP, and not a penny extra.

Mike Klein was EXTREMELY helpful. I suggest you give him a call. He may be able to help. Best of luck. Driving an SSR is an experience you must not miss!

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's Hope

I will share my experence with you. I tossed the idea of buying an SSR around for some time. I am married and own several vehicles. (2) 1973 Pontiac Grand Am's, a 1997 Dodge Ram Sport, 2000 HD Deuce ( all Paid for). I did not need my SSR but fell intantly in love with this machine. I was think of trading in my Ram for a Hemi. My wife had said since I have no payments and my ram is in great condition why not keep it and buy a sports car or something thats a 2 seater.

I thought thats a great idea. A few months later, we ( my wife and I ) where driving in Worcester MA. Having gone on Chevy.com I knew 2 dealerships im my area that had this wonderful new truck.

We stopped at the first dealership in hopes to see an SSR. They where great but there SSR had been shipped and they did not yet have it. So on we went to the second dealership.

Diamond Chevy in Worcester had a 2003 SSR. A beautiful black baby. ( all my other cars and Harley are black). As we pulled into the parking lot I could see her inside. 2 salespeople where talking and leaning on this truck. I walk inside and was instantly approached by one of the salesmen. He asked what I was looking for. I told him I just found what I was looking for. He asked If I knew anything about this truck, so I rattled everything I knew about then off. The next question was the winner. He asked me if I could afford such a truck. WHAT!!!, Being a ticked off at that I asked how much the truck was. He told me $60,000. HAHAHAHA I told him he needed to stop smoking that crack, that the truck MSRP'd at or around $45,000. He said all dealers are getting 10 to 15 thousand more, and again asked if I could afford it.

I told him I had just left Rasdale Chevy in Spencer and they had told me they where asking MSRP. He said thats why they are Rasgdale. I told him thats why they will get my business and walked out.

Mothersday 2004 we where driving around when we again went by Rasgdale's. Right in front was the most beautiful Slingshot yellow SSR. My wife knowing I loved the yellow pulled in and asked if I wanted to check it out. Oh yea..

The salesmen "Bill" approached us, introduced himself to both myself and my wife ( Very Important ), and talked to us like we where old friends. Never once asked if we could afford it. Not even remotely did he become pushy or rude. He was very well informed about this truck and asked if we wanted to take her for a spin. Thats all he ever needed to do, and he knew it. 4 hours later we owned this wonderful yellow goddess. Unfortunatly Motherday was a sunday and becasue we were not trading anything in we could not take her home until Monday after they went to the RMV to get us a new plate.

Monday Morning I went to work and my wife went to get our new 2004 beauty. I should tell you that we paid $1,000 dollars under MSRP and Bill and Ragsdale have been wonderful. They have done everything they said they would.

I've rambled on.. the moral of my story. Find another dealership!

Attachments

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got one!

We found a new (first dealership but the sales guy I spoke to several months ago) dealership that was willing to work with us.

I now have a 2003 Smokin Asphalt SSR sitting in my garage! :party

I ended up getting it for $250 under MSRP (not much under, but it's under). This time my trade in was a fair amount. It was hard trading in the Nissan 350Z. It's a wonderful car!!!!

When we purchased the 04 Thunderbird for my wife, the convertible bug bit me. The hardtop of the SSR is SO much nicer than the removable hardtop on the T-Bird. I was considering the purchase of the 350Z Roadster but that only has a soft top convertible.

·
Registered
413 Posts
my advise to anyone wanting an ssr is check smaller dealers they for the most part dont play games with you I bought my 2004 in Jan for 1400 under msrp

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good experience with Ragsdale. When I started looking in March I was quoted MSRP from Ragsdale and From Tom Chevrolet in Norwood. I ended up going to Tom Chevrolet because they offered more for my trade. I had a great interaction with both dealers.

R

·
0 Posts
shiftz33 said:
I now have a 2003 Smokin Asphalt SSR sitting in my garage!
You might consider driving the vehicle to the original dealership that treated you so poorly and let them know you bought elsewhere.

I swear, dealership owners really need to impress upon their floor personnel that someone who is looking to purchase an expensive vehicle (like an SSR) should not be treated in the same manner as someone who would consider buying one of the less-than-steller things Chevy tries to pawn off as a car these days (Cavalier, Impala...).

Well, as stated, they'll figure it out when they're trying to dump off all the leftover '03/'04 SSRs a year from now.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Half-price sale?

rudiger said:
You might consider driving the vehicle to the original dealership that treated you so poorly and let them know you bought elsewhere.

I swear, dealership owners really need to impress upon their floor personnel that someone who is looking to purchase an expensive vehicle (like an SSR) should not be treated in the same manner as someone who would consider buying one of the less-than-steller things Chevy tries to pawn off as a car these days (Cavalier, Impala...).

Well, as stated, they'll figure it out when they're trying to dump off all the leftover '03/'04 SSRs a year from now.
If they ever put them on for half-off, I am going to get the Asphalt one that I originally ordered! :lol

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
You know that was the one and only reason that we left the first dealer to go to the one that we actually purchased from. They first didn't ask if we could afford it, they knew we were serious. Second they treated me ( the woman) as the equal along with my husband. 5 Stars indeed. And they have been great with all my little insecurities.

·
Registered
152 Posts
good dealers

My experience is that good dealers and their sales staff treat people well no matter what they are buying.... a new M-B SL @ $100k , a $75k Caddie, a $45 (or whatever k) SSr, or Cavalier for $10k. Some of the dealers described here have no business surviving in the auto game they sound like such :reddevil ... find a dealer that treats you faily and services your vehicle well then give that firm your business.... don't focus on the last $250

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The dealership that I ended up buying my SSR at is the first one that treated me so bad. What I did was to contact the very first sales rep that I spoke to a couple of months back. I explained that his dealership had lost my business forever unless they treated me differenly (with respect) and didn't try to steal my trade-in.

This sales guy and his associated team were great! What a difference. They came up with a decent amount for me trade (same car now it was worth several thousand more than last time) and we were able to haggle a bit on the price to my liking. We worked out the deal over the phone without a problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts