Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Chevy SSR
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently gifted a stock SSR with 68000 miles and would like to upgrade it any suggestions

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Welcome Mr Lucky
You have come to the right place for all things SSR, read through a few of the Mod posts , there are several things that should/need to be done and several you may want to do.
If you know the history of the SSR that will help, year, Mods already done, etc, etc,

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I see your from Tenn, reach out to member @SWT RYD. Face to face meeting and get real answers from others is the best. There are more than one way to do a lot of things on our trucks. There are also more opinions on what should be done and what the priority is, so ask a lot of questions and make an educated decision that works for you.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,469 Posts

CONGRATS and WELCOME, Timmy . . . from Southern Arizona.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,322 Posts
Welcome to the Fanatic Family you lucky guy! You can spend hours going threw the old threads for just about anything and everything! Tell us more about your truck, especially year and that will help us get you going! 😉

·
Registered
2005 Chevy SSR
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Mr Lucky
You have come to the right place for all things SSR, read through a few of the Mod posts , there are several things that should/need to be done and several you may want to do.
If you know the history of the SSR that will help, year, Mods already done, etc, etc,
It’s a 2005 and it has no mods

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Welcome my fellow Tennessean. I'm glad it's a REDLINE and not one of those taxies. I live about an hour south of you. In Murfreesboro. There are several SSR owners in middle Tennessee and we usually try and get together once a month or once every other month. Hope you can find time to join us. You said you wanted to do performance upgrades on your truck. You have a unique vehicle so first let's talk about some upgrades as far as known problems. If you don't know the history of your truck these things may have been done or may not have been done. The gear shift linkage from factory it's plastic it needs to be replaced because it is right next to the catalytic converter and it deteriorates. While you're in that area there is a shield that can be put against the ABS system to eliminate some heat. The ignition switch from the factory is inferior it has a tendency to go out. If you have a cargo light in your bed the fuse and bulb needs to be replaced it is over-amped some have been known to catch on fire. if you start to notice that is overheating you may want to consider replacing the fan. All these things can be purchased at Simple Engineering. Your LS2 engine it is almost indestructible and can pump out a lot of horsepower.by the way it is not a Corvette engine, Corvette never made an LS2 engine it's a GM LS2 engine installed in a Corvette. One of our gang has a 05 and he's pushing little over 500 horsepower via cam, headers, performance tune etc. A whole lot more to talk about so I will send you a conversation with my phone number hope we can get together. By the way I go to Springfield twice a week to pick up automotive parts. Robert (SWTRYD).
Beach1 SIG Lens Flare.jpg

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
43,755 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Marc NY

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
P

performance
Many here will agree that the best "bang for the buck" performance improvement is a rear end gear change and a performance tune. You can easily start there and then add on other upgrades (cam's, heads, headers & exhaust, intake or even a supercharger) if you wish.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
My advice don't do the super tune until after you do engine modifications cam, air intake, headers or different exhaust. You will have to retune it again. It changes the parameters.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
simple performance maybe first look at a muffler swap. The 05 is already a good platform for performance and you may quickly find that it already has plenty of performance. Keep one thing in mind. These trucks are more of a cruiser than a racer. At about 4800 pounds you aren't going to be out going head to head with an 80s Fox body Mustang running from stop light to stop light. But you will be a lot more unique and cooler when you put the top down and roll on down the road.

Sit back and wait because there are about as many answers to your questions as there are owners. Everything from folks who enjoy them stock to the ones who have put super chargers, swapped converters and gear changes. But most importantly drive it and enjoy the pleasure of owning it. Good Luck from St Louis.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sturgis South Dakota.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts