Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Sligshot has has the dreaded TINK since day one, when the guy backed it off the transport truck (purchased in VT, shipped to CA), I heard it! Ever since it has been there, especially in reverse, and many times in drive between 0 and 40 mph. It was random but annoying!

I took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago. The service advisor said that he had a similar noise with his GMC Envoy. They ordered me the newest design driveshaft (15247556) which arrived a few days ago and was installed today.

This made a HUGE difference. The TINK I had was especially loud, now I have a quieter tink, and not nearly as often. My SSR would TINK most times after stopping at a stop sign or light, none today and only a quiet tink when backing out of a parking space, and another when backing into the garage.

The repair tech told me that the noise was still there when he finished installing the new driveshaft, and then showed me a GM document that states what to do if the noise is still there.

Here is some of the information from Document ID 1705255, PIP3420A:

"There are two different areas that could cause these very similar symptoms (noise). Some are caused by the propeller shaft internally and some may have an issue with the rear axle assembly. ...Since the propshaft is easier to diagnose, it should be addressed first but only if the vehicle is equipped with an aluminum propshaft...(They go on a bit on how to swap propshafts from another vehicle to diagnose if this is the problem, then go on to say..)" If installing a new propshaft does not improve the noise, most likely the propshaft is NOT the root cause of the concern. Most "noisy" propshafts are able to be duplicated by simply shifting between drive and reverse wihout actually moving the vehicle."

" If swapping the propshaft does not improve the concern and/or the vehicle MUST move, launch, be driven with moderate acceleration or during deceleration to duplicate the noise, the noise may be coming from the rear axle housing itself. Replacement of the rear axle housing will be required to repair this condition."

Even though I am MUCH happier with the truck after having the propshaft replaced today, as the noise is virtually eliminated, the dealer did order me part #12479163 Housing 5.387 for the continued repair and hopefully the end of this problem.

I will post more information once the newest part arrives and is installed. I hope that this will be helpful to others with the TINK.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Man please don't hold your breath on this one. I have had 6 drive shafts so far and everyone tinks all the new number. I have also had one rearend rebuilt and 2 complete assemblys put in the truck.. Guess what... TINK is still there..The rear end replacements was for a whinning sound but that at least is fixed and gone....

Good Luck..

Oh the GM rep for here told my dealer to keep ordering them in sets of 2 and maybe one would fix it.. SO i am waiting for number 8 and 9 now...

·
Registered
63 Posts
tink fixed

I also had the famous tink and it started as new and now has 400 miles. They replaced the driveshaft yesterday with the i believe "560 drive shaft part. No tink. Fixed SO FAR Don't want to tell you something too soon it's only been a day and about 50 miles. Keep you guys informed if it returns. Motordoctor

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
I had #3 put in a while ago. I now have about 3500 miles on the new one. Its been quiet until recently. I am starting to hear the TINK again. It is only once in a while and no where near as loud as it was before the replacement.

Heres a question. How does the type of driving you do effect the tink?
Do those with the tink do more city driving? Lets get a little feedback on this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's a thought on the tink

My Slingshot was delivered in January (Chicago). No tink until 900 miles, then had it all summer. Now that the temps are in the 40s and 50s again, the tink is gone!

Could it be that when the prop shaft grows due to higher ambient temps the tink appears, then goes away when it shrinks again in cooler weather?

Anyone else experienced this?

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Kingbee: MIne has a "ringing" instead of the tink, and it oo is temperature dependent: louder when driveline is cold, and attentuated or gone when the driveline is hot.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
My tink goes away when I apply the brakes. And no it is not the brake bad replacement sound indicator. Anyone want to make a guess why?

·
Registered
178 Posts
over 5k miles in just under 2 months, no tink, slight whining sound between 60-70mph. Drive over 100 miles roundtrip each day even between hot temps and colder in evening Phoenix AZ.

Coz :reddevil

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am on number three and have about 8k miles on it. This one is nothing like the first two. It was quiet for a long time then once and a while it would tink. That has continued and not gotten worse for 3k miles now. If it keeps the tink at this level I will be happy. :cool :cool

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
To Tink or not to Tink...

Any updates from those of you that posted to this thread? I have heard that darn Tink since day one and was going to take it in, thought I'd take the wait and see approach and see if it goes away after the 1st 1000 miles, but no, still there. Only happens at slows speed, pot holes and speed bumps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've learned to love my tink. Got it late, around 15,000miles. It just reminds me that I have a vehicle with "character".:jester

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Tink-o-rama

We got back to the parking garage last friday night in Laughlin with 15 or so cars parking at the same time. Everyone backed into their spots. You never heard so much tinkin goin on....... It was a hoot.

Yes, my '06 with 4,000 miles has it in spades. I even get it when backing off the throttle while driving.

Gotta love a truck with a personality.

Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
MauiMike said:
Any updates from those of you that posted to this thread? I have heard that darn Tink since day one and was going to take it in, thought I'd take the wait and see approach and see if it goes away after the 1st 1000 miles, but no, still there. Only happens at slows speed, pot holes and speed bumps.

Thanks!

Why haven't you insisted on the drive shaft being replaced. Mine was corrected last year and no more "tink" it was annoying.No it will not effect the driveability but do it while it is under warranty. GM is aware of this problem and shipped out parts in 2 days to fix.

The dealerships service writter took a drive with me and said they are all like this even automatics. I said call GM, he did & they said yes it will /can be corrected mine is an 05 6spd

If you look in my profile and look at theposts between 05-07-2005 & 05-16-2005

I haven't posted much so this should be easy

you will get educated with your problem.There is a fix

Hope this helps!! let us know the outcome

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My TINK Update again

Unfortunately, my TINK is back, and really never went away. I got the new driveshaft, this was the best the truck ever sounded. The tech at the dealer said the noise was not gone, so they ordered a new rear end as well (not sure exactly what parts), so I figured - what the heck, replace that too! With the new driveshaft and new rear end parts, I have a TINK - mostly when backing out of the garage or the parking lot at work, pretty loud TINK too, and time to time when driving, but nowhere near as bad as it was originally when delivered. As long as I'm not the only one that has it!!

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
I hear it once in a while on my 05 but why let it bother you. The tink is like your paint ITS THERE and not going to go away any time soon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's Fixed for Good...

Step 1. Start the rod and put the top down
Step 2. Turn the radio/CD up very loud
Step 3. put in reverse and back out
Step 4. put in drive and have a blast

Haven't heard my tink since:glol :glol :glol :glol :glol

PS: also works with top up

1 - 20 of 79 Posts