Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was off work today so I wanted to do a couple things on the truck today. One of which was to try to lower the top today. So I get in, turn the key to on, press on the brake pedal and hit the switch. I hear the pump motor humming and then it sounds like the other side but no top movement. Hmm I hit the switch to go up and again pump noise and no movement. Dash reads time out or something along those lines. So I do what anyone would think of doing first. I bring up SSR Fanatic and start reading. Several posts say to try the switch several times to get the fluid moving. So after several attempts the tonneau cover is at least raising up a little. I get out and try lifting the cover. Well now it will come up more from lifting but not all the way and I can't lift both sides by myself. Now the dash is showing lift cover manually. I am pissed now and no one to help me. I finally pushed it down and got it back in place but not latched.
My daughter comes home from school and I have to take her to an appointment before I can do anything. We take the other car and get that done. I am only thinking about what to do next and decided we are going to try lifting the top again when we get home. Well we do that and get the cover opened all the way. I push the button and the top closes and latches. Yeah I got it closed at least.
So now my wife gets home and asks how was my day. I tell her well I was trying to lower the top on the SSR and it wouldn't work. She gets this look of total horror on her face. Mouth open eyes on fire like I have let the daughter get hurt or something. I now have to figure out what is up with her. So I ask what is wrong. She starts in, what do you mean you are lowering the top on that truck? Leave the damn thing alone. You don't need to be doing anything but driving that truck. Go lower the roof on one of your other projects. Drive that truck she says. I am at a total loss now and she is still visibly mad as a hornet.
I now think real quick and realize she is not thinking of the truck and it being a convertible, she is thinking I am chopping the top on it. I start laughing and this only makes her madder now. I had my lap top and pulled up a video of the SSR lowering the roof. I said no I was trying to put the top down like it is supposed to do, not cutting the roof off and lowering it.
She then realizes what I was doing and then slowly calms down for a couple seconds then she thinks about this again. Then she comes back with, why is it not working then.
This truck is going to give me a heart attack and it was pretty darn close right there she said. We laughed about it for a few then again she got back to why isn't it working. I said I don't care at this point and it is latched, so I am good till summer time for now.

Now in her defense she has come home before to find a perfectly good running car to have the engine hanging from the cherry picker. She has come home to find a newly purchased truck torn down to a bare frame in a weekend. So she would not put anything past me.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,347 Posts
Thanks for the story

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
I was off work today so I wanted to do a couple things on the truck today. One of which was to try to lower the top today. So I get in, turn the key to on, press on the brake pedal and hit the switch.
Start the damn engine, the roof pulls a lot of juice.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,292 Posts
Wives huh!...wait my wife can't see this can she?!? I mean...like I was saying...Wives are the greatest !

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Start the damn engine, the roof pulls a lot of juice.
I did start it after I went back out and reading suggestions on here. I am wondering if the latches are opening on it or not. I am going to have to do some more research to see what happens and when so I can see where the problem is at.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Sounds like your tonneau is sticking and out of adjustment. Have someone gently lift the cover as you are pushing the button. Once it opens adjust your bump stops and clean and lube the micro switches on both sides. Put a little Vaseline on the bump stops and adjust them up so that the tonneau just makes light contact with the cover leaving Vaseline mark on it. Also check your wires on the hinges for chafing and damage, repair if needed. That did it for me anyways. The micro switch remove and clean instructions are in the how to library, so are the wiring repairs. Good luck!
latch repair link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!974&parId=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&o=OneUp
Wiring repair: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!806&parId=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&o=OneUp

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
957 Posts
... and check the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir. Open the tonneau and take a good look at the deck (especially at forward corners) to see if there is evidence of fluid leakage. Top should be working ... and your wife will love you again when you take her for a top-off ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts