Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my ssr and trouble shooting things...I ran into this...does this wire control ground for accessories like the a/c among other things? It was loose.. It overheats too...I got it cheap and understand consequences so this is aimed at pro tinkerers, not weekend wannabe mechanics.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts
It looks like to me the battery negative cable may have been replaced with a single wire instead of the factory style 2 wire. They then just added a heavy wire to go to either the body (most logical guess) or the frame. It is hard to tell with out seeing the rest of the cable.
@Mike in AZ sells a very nice ground battery cable to replace a bad factory one. Check out Simple-engineering.com
I would start there. The negative side is important with these because of the rear mounted battery. The negative cable has 2 cables off it. One to the frame and one to the body. There are many ground wires through out the SSR so the ground off the battery really needs to be right to start with. Your looks like it was rigged up and not going to give a good solid connection. Which can lead to many erratic problems

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another mystery wire...I was told one of the fans is not working...did someone splice two wires together and left one disconnected?

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts
There is only one fan, stock on the SSR. How ever it is a two speed fan. Quite common is the connector will have a bad connection and it will melt the plug end on it. Again @Mike in AZ with Simple Engineering can get you fixed up on the new ends for the fan. If it has the stock fan on it, this would be a good time to upgrade to a better fan for the truck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I saw two, and was told the fan don't work, I'll get back there and test it.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR, Customized
655 Posts
It looks like two issues;

1. The fan power connector has been spliced into, perhaps to replace a defective connector. The splice look sloppy and should be inspected. Contact Simple-Engineering for a new connector. The fan functions should be tested.

2. The purple wire by the battery negative terminal is not factory as should be traced to find what it connects too.
Do no connect the purple wire until you determine what it is for.
The battery ground cable has three connections, one to the frame and on to the body - inspect and tighten if needed. The 3rd connection is the battery negative.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,636 Posts
Was it running when you got it?? Is there even a Ground Battery Cable? It does not show in the Picture !! o_O Oh, don't forget to update your profile so the year of your SSR shows and everyone won't have to ask:cool:

Nick

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was expecting issues like this, the 60 Amp fuse was blown...

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,818 Posts
This is not the factory fan set up. The factory fan AND the higher CFM fan sold by SE is a single 2 speed fan. My guess is previous owner replaced a factory two speed fan with two single speed fans and taped into original harness.

Did you confirm fans do not work?
Turn on AC, unless outside temps are cold it shouldn't take too long for fans to come on.

Yes 60 amp fan fuse could be an issue, but so is the wiring or the one relay these wires are connected to.

I cannot determine which wire they tapped into. Did they connect it so both new fans come on with factory low speeds, high speeds or did they splice together. I am on a phone, thus picture resolution is not good enough for me determine this.

I will look at desktop pictures tomorrow. In meantime by all means look at 60 amp? fan fuse. I believe there is another fuse of same size you could switch with one in the underhood fuse box that will not effect engine performance.

Also the two fan relays are not in the fuse/relay box. They hang by themselves near the left front, hiding near washer fluid tank.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,572 Posts
Just got my ssr and trouble shooting things...I ran into this...does this wire control ground for accessories like the a/c among other things? It was loose.. It overheats too...I got it cheap and understand consequences so this is aimed at pro tinkerers, not weekend wannabe mechanics.
Looking at your first picture…. A couple things strike me.….

The battery terminal bolt for the red connection is too long. Should be a short one. Don’t understand what that is meant to do.
The “mystery wire” appears to be a poor substitute for a proper battery ground cable.

You need to restore the battery connections to the proper stuff…..

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,572 Posts
Here's another mystery wire...I was told one of the fans is not working...did someone splice two wires together and left one disconnected?
Looking at the installation of the fans and wiring, I would strongly suggest you create a small wiring diagram of what you have. From there, you can fix what’s not working.

I would also suggest you re-wire the two fans, using best practices for high current carrying. This typically means you should both crimp AND solder your connections. Analyzing the circuit layout is also important. The black “Low speed relay” is rated at 30 amps and the grey “high speed” at 40.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That purple wire seems to go on and on...among other things...will continue tomorrow...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is not the factory fan set up. The factory fan AND the higher CFM fan sold by SE is a single 2 speed fan. My guess is previous owner replaced a factory two speed fan with two single speed fans and taped into original harness.

Did you confirm fans do not work?
Turn on AC, unless outside temps are cold it shouldn't take too long for fans to come on.

Yes 60 amp fan fuse could be an issue, but so is the wiring or the one relay these wires are connected to.

I cannot determine which wire they tapped into. Did they connect it so both new fans come on with factory low speeds, high speeds or did they splice together. I am on a phone, thus picture resolution is not good enough for me determine this.

I will look at desktop pictures tomorrow. In meantime by all means look at 60 amp? fan fuse. I believe there is another fuse of same size you could switch with one in the underhood fuse box that will not effect engine performance.

Also the two fan relays are not in the fuse/relay box. They hang by themselves near the left front, hiding near washer fluid tank.
I want the car to operate like it was supposed to....I omed the connector and got 2.5 omhs all around with no shorts....I want to 12 v test each fan...but think they bypassed the two stage oem functiality and just ran a direct line to both?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,572 Posts
I want the car to operate like it was supposed to....I omed the connector and got 2.5 omhs all around with no shorts....I want to 12 v test each fan...but think they bypassed the two stage oem functiality and just ran a direct line to both?
You need to fix that……. AFTER you make a schematic of the way that it is currently wired.

Coming from the vehicle wiring system to the three pin plug:
Grey wire = High speed
Lt Blu wire = Low speed
Blk wire = Ground.

Mike

1 - 20 of 56 Posts