Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,818 Posts
I agree with @Mike in AZ
Try to trace out how it is wired now!. It appears that both fans are wired to come on with low speed control but I cannot see enough of the harness to the relays. Remove all of the tape and plastic covering from the relays to the fans and then try to draw a diagram of what it looks like. Here is a diagram of the stock set up for you to compare.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very sloppy fan wire splicing. I can see bare wire in the photo.
This is not a difficult fix and there are several very good electrical members in Texas.
Seek some local help.
Place I got it from are a bunch of shysters, what do you expect from a used car lot...anyway car was cheap and looks great, just need to make it solid.

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Was it running when you got it?? Is there even a Ground Battery Cable? It does not show in the Picture !! o_O Oh, don't forget to update your profile so the year of your SSR shows and everyone won't have to ask:cool:

Nick
Yes it was, but overheating due to a blown 60amp fan fuse, radio was off, windows didnt go up and down, top would not budge and the A/C controls were flickering wow, this one is a master class screw up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looking at your first picture…. A couple things strike me.….

The battery terminal bolt for the red connection is too long. Should be a short one. Don’t understand what that is meant to do.
The “mystery wire” appears to be a poor substitute for a proper battery ground cable.

You need to restore the battery connections to the proper stuff…..

Mike
I bought the proper bolts and yes they are both short, the negative had a regular bolt that was a little courser, seemed loose and luckley it didnt strip the battery hole, I ran a die through the bolt and re-threaded it for a quick fix, while I got the right bolts. There is an after market amplifier behind the pass seat, but didn't see a purple wire, will continue when I get over there as soon as I can...bunch of things to do, like drink beer and watch the ALB series... :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
One thing at a time...think it was a poorly connected battery and it was jumped incorrectly...battery is charged now, lookin ar fan connections,low speed wire was rigged to supply power to both fans, and the high speed wire was disconnected...connecter hasn't melted, but 60 amp fuse blown possibly due to sheer stupidity on the truck driver....I was told the battery ran down dued to loose or faulty ignition switch seems you have to jiggle it to make interior lights, courtesy lights go off....this is a master class screw up project...

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Thanks for the insight Mark, as a writer myself I appreciate it. I've read the car fax. Previous owner received it as collateral, sat in his garage for two years...not going to get into it, but I don't like to waste money. Wow. Roof modual...will look into that and maybe I'll slow down asking questions...there's a lot to figure out on these, I did see the top function in a video...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you sure have a lot of time on your hands to write all that I'm doing multiple projects at the same time it's just a small side project And I made a joke about master class I guess you didn't find that funny. I've done this many times before its not my 1st rodeo. I've read the car fax. Previous owner received it as collateral, sat in his garage for two years...not going to get into it, but I don't like to waste money. Wow. Roof modual...will look into that and maybe I'll stop asking questions...
You're right. Why did I even try to help? I'll shut up and leave you alone now. Best of luck to you sir. You seem to have capable hands, and I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sorry I got air compressors to repair (finished) and I'm running behind schedule, I'm building guitars too and intonating one now...it's a pain...

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,818 Posts
@USSR
There is a tsb regarding jump starting and blowing the 60 amp cooling fan fuse.
Also incorrect jump start can cause multiple other issues. One being a blown 125 amp fuse which shuts down many (not all) of the circuits to the rear fuse box. This would include radio, roof and windows. But also wipers and rear defrost.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts