Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I understand this, NADA values are what USA banks rely on as a loan measure
Currently, NADA has reduced the value of the SSR significantly
As an owner and lover of the SSR I do anything I can to maintain or raise values of our beloved SSR
Most of you know I work with Nfwy Hyundai, who I also believe works very hard to maintain our values
However, they also have to purchase SSR's within bank value guidelines

I can get into their history with our SSR - sold over 600 to date, but at this point it is relevant but maybe not relevant to reality
Banks influence values, as they rely on NADA numbers

My thought is most SSR buyers are cash people - not relying on financing.
It sounds like I might be a tad wrong in this - maybe more US guys borrow to buy the specialty vehicle than what I would expect.
Regardless- it does affect us as owners

Anyway, it sounds like we SSR Fanatics are taking a bit of a pounding recently
At the end of the day, it only affects us as buyers or sellers
Good news for buyers - bad news for sellers
For those of us that are in for the long haul - just pisses us off!

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,333 Posts
Thanks for the in-depth analysis Ca$h. :nerd:

I never had any reason to pay attention to NADA figures because just as you describe, I LOVE my SSR.

But nothing really new there. As I look back, I have always bought "motor vehicles" not really with my checkbook but rather with my heart. :wub:

===============
David :black:

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,617 Posts
Interesting stuff, Dale . . .

However, from what I have noticed by being a frequent viewer of Mecum and Barrett-Jackson Auctions on TV, I believe your observations span all vehicles, not just SSRs.

Although tough to assess the value of any vehicle via the TV, it is fairly obvious they all have "peaks and valleys" from show to show as well as location. "Keeping up" for the NADAs and KBBs out there must be extremely difficult.

Bottom line . . . except for some very extenuating circumstances, vehicles overall do not make good investments.

·
Super Moderator
13,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a former car dealer, I can attest to the fact that the NADA book is the least accurate of all the automobile value guides.
Am I incorrect on who the banks generally accept as value guides?
I have access to a system that gives me Nada and Manheim numbers
I don't like the NADA stuff either, but is that what we live with?

·
Super Moderator
13,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interesting stuff, Dale . . .

However, from what I have noticed by being a frequent viewer of Mecum and Barrett-Jackson Auctions on TV, i believer your observations span all vehicles, not just SSRs.

Although tough to assess the value of any vehicle via the TV, it is fairly obvious they all have "peaks and valleys" from show to show as well as location. "Keeping up" for the NADAs and KBBs out there must be extremely difficult.

Bottom line . . . except for some very extenuating circumstances, vehicles overall do not make good investments.
Yes Curt - it isn't as though they are targetting SSR's specifically - it is an across the board thing
Not sure how to resurrect the situation other than to hang in on pricing
Maybe a test is to see if retail dealer pricing changes
I think Nfwy has adjusted a bit - Gandrud has 3 Pac Blues in the mid $40's, so they definitely have not made any adjustments

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I started looking for an SSR I never looked at the book value. Checked the fourm, autotrader, craigslist etc.and that gave me a pretty good indication of what I would have to spend for what I wanted. After a few months I made a decision and pulled the trigger. It would be interesting to know how many actually get financed.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Nada

My thoughts.
Buy what you want if you have the cash and the deal is good.
Do not rely on NADA, but use as a loose reference.
All cars are a bad investment unless you keep them for 40 years (Camaro as an example).
Enjoy what you buy.
I am driving mine daily, and it has some chips, but my daughters know they will get what is left of them. I gave my oldest daughter, she was 38, my 96 Trans Am WS6 with 16,000 miles for her birthday two years ago. She said she was my favorite. She drove it to prom when she was 18. She deserved it. The value meant nothing to me, but it meant to world to her. Protects it like a check book.
Again, I am not saving them for anybody else. Let your heart make the purchase.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
John4598, /N2CRUZN and Medina, my thoughts exactly !!!

I know I have said this many times on this web site ... 9 years ago I paid $3,000 more than I wanted to pay but ... it was exactly what I wanted and it was literally "in our back yard" (just 50 miles from the house) and had the cash in hand.

If they go up or increase in value ...GREAT, if not well that's the American way. 10 years from now, when the 03's are close to 25 years old and low mileage, they may start being more collectible. Please, SSRfanatics drive 'em and enjoy 'em. They are one fun toy. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,343 Posts
I had to finance my SSR. I was blessed with a great deal from the original owner who was more concerned about the new owner loving the truck like he did... That being said, no issues with the bank loan.

Hope it doesn't prevent others from purchasing one of these awesome little trucks!

Reactions: 06-SSR

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,250 Posts
I agree with HUAW. If your spouse is in on it, do it. My wife is the greatest. She always says "you work hard for what you want, just do it". I wished sometimes she said "F-no". She is my prize in life. Just sayin'.
HA! My wife said "if you want one get it", 3 years ago when we saw one on the road and I commented how I didn't understand why they didn't sell any better than they did when they came out! So I looked on the internet, compared prices, saw one at North Freeway, call and asked them to hold it a few days for me to go look at it. It was everything I wanted, but after coming down a little, I said OK. I still paid a few thousand more than I wanted to, BUT, It was what I wanted so I went to the bank, got a cashier check went back, paid the man, told him I'd be back in 3 days to drive it home!
Then in Feb. this year, after working on an Ultra Violet for someone, I told her that's the only other color I would buy and asked her if she would like one. She said "only if you will let me drive it!" So I started researching prices only on U.V.'s. I found in Pikeville Kentucky, called and asked if they would hold it a week till we could look at it. We rented a car, drove there, surprisingly pleased, surprisingly cheap, wrote a check, called the prearranged transporter, told him "go get it" and made a mini Vacation of the rest of the week. SOOOOO be THANKFUL for understanding SPOUSES, both ways!!! Oh-----no books involved, ever.

Nick & Kathy

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
I think a lot of us are in the same boat.

Could I have negotiated my way down a few hundred or even a thousand? Maybe so, maybe not. As it was, when I bought my '05 SSR a short 6 weeks ago, I got a decent deal from the dealer.

I more likely would have gotten a better deal on some average vehicle or some weird thing no one else wanted.

We got this and my wife and I are 100% good with it. We are just waiting for the weather to warm up so we can drive it top down more often.

And I drive it every day to wherever I need to go. To church, to Wally World (Walmart), to the post office, wherever.

I did not buy it to have it sit an "appreciate" in dollar value but to drive it so we can really appreciate it!!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
As a former car dealer, I can attest to the fact that the NADA book is the least accurate of all the automobile value guides.
:|
Well, the NADA book may be the least accurate as you say............but if so, the story is even worse.

My experience has been that if you are a (seller), you would look to NADA for your pricing figures and why they are what they are.

On the other hand, if you are a (buyer), then you would much prefer the pricing offered up on the same vehicle as prescribed by (KELLEY BLUE BOOK).:surprise:

While I have not made a comparison between the two in several years, when I did........NADA prices were several hundred dollars ABOVE what Kelley showed for the same damn deal.:frown2:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Didn't find out about this site till after I bought my truck last year, always liked them from the first time they came out. Was at the dealer picking up a used truck for my brother in laws son when we walked out of the dealership and there was a UV parked there that a guy just traded in. Took it for a drive fell in love with it, less then 28,000 miles, running boards, carpet in bed, added lights in bed and underneath. Paid $21,500 was that a good deal I'll let you decide, seemed good to me. Like many have said sometimes you can't put a price on something you really want.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts