Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is... Has anyone had experience with these products. Is it worth the money?

Nano Ceramics only for this thread. We tend to get involved in all kinds of waxes and toppings..

Thank you for your experience and comments on thos subject. What great forum.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
It is expensive to have applied like $1000 +/-
I can get a deal from the local paint shop (BCI) I use that sells a DIY kit. They will give me a discount for a club and Qty purchase.
They have a sample hood in the showroom with the coating applied on half and wax on the other half. Toss sand on it and wipe it with a rag and not a mark on the coated side but the waxed side looks like it was sanded.
If it is DIY its a whole day process but seems worth it if your paint is already very very nice.
The paint on mine is not good enough to justify doing this without doing a serious buffing and paint restoration first.
If there is interest, I can get the info on the kit and pricing. This is a professional product not the DIY snake oil ceramic coating advertised online, don't fall for that garbage.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two threads on this subject. Did I miss where someone that actually had it this process done an SSR?

Who will be the first?

·
Spirited driver!
1,532 Posts
Two threads on this subject. Did I miss where someone that actually had it this process done an SSR?

Who will be the first?
Hi Frank,

you can take a look at @SSR Trouble (May 2018 ROTM winner) as he had it done. His truck still looks pretty good after driving it from California to Florida and back. Hopefully he will chime in and give you the particulars.

134 Posts
Trouble now has the 5yr coverage.
I had put on the 2yr ceremic pro coating before going to
Florida, but once getting back, I had it
upgraded. Oh....check around...I have seen
the 2yr going for $900.

However.....after thinking more about it,

I know that there is a rock out there
with my name on it.

So,,,I am now putting on a clear bra.
covering the whole front end and
sides. I just need to add on the
windshield posts, and across the top
of the windshield.

I hope this covers that subject...

Frank.....

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Trouble now has the 5yr coverage.
I had put on the 2yr coating before going to
Florida, but once getting back, I had it
upgraded. Oh....check around...I have seen
the 2yr going for $900.

However.....after thinking more about it,

I know that there is a rock out there
with my name on it.

So,,,I am now putting on a clear bra.
covering the whole front end and
sides. I just need to add on the
windshield posts, and across the top
of the windshield.

I hope this covers that subject...

Frank.....
What brand of coating?

I’ve been looking at Ceramic Pro... They want $1600.00 for the gold package.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Guys the Ceramic Coatings are not protection from rock chips, you can still get rock chips.

There's two main coatings, consumer grade (which is typically up to two years durability) and the Professional grade which only certified installers can buy (which typically lasts 5+ years) If they are selling you a DYI kit it's probably a 18-24 month coating.

Keep in mind why this is such an expensive process...... The coatings last for so long any swirls and scratches under the coating are locked in for a very long time and the coatings do not hide the swirls so most of what you are paying for is to claybar and polish out the swirls. That in itself is a 10-15 hour job before they install the coating.

Installing paint protection film is a whole different thing from a paint coating too.

Josh

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,363 Posts
I’ve been looking at Ceramic Pro... They want $1600.00 for the gold package.
=========================================

Hey Larry, you shouldn't have to worry about the cost!!----Its your BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

:party:cheers:party:cheers:party

★☆★ - Besides, you have a gorgeous Redline Red FPR!! - :ssr

Take good care of it and have a great day, buddy!!! - :cheer:

===============
David :black:
images-2.png

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I know the difference between the different products... I assume by the silence no one has had any experience with any of the ceramic coatings. I'm like Dinerman, I want to know if it's worth the money.

·
Premium Member
2006 Redline FPR 6 Speed
1,010 Posts
Ceramic Pro installed in 2015, really makes paint come alive. Will not protect against chips. Installed Colgan Bra when I bought the SSR in March 2014, never take it off except to clean. Ceramic Pro protects the paint from fade from the bra but it is always garaged when not being driven. Recently repaired rock chips as best I could, not perfect but will have to do, cannot afford to repaint, then had XPEL Ultimate Plus paint protection film installed to as much of the front-facing areas as the stretching of the film would allow. Installer [15 years experience] will only use this product because of quality-control, XPEL actually makes the film, it is smooth, unlike some applications of 3M, which have a little orange-peel. Only better protection would be not to drive it! HA! Bill

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you...

Want to thank all those that contributed to this thread. Nano Ceramics is an interesting issue. As we try to keep our trucks beautiful.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Is it worth the money is completely subjective. Too some it's a total rip off, too others it's the best money they've spent....

Does it do what it claims to do, yes for the most part. There's lots of variables involved but for most yes it will hold up over the long haul to protect the finish like a wax would protect a finish, not like a clear bra will protect it though....

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Jay leno’s Garage has a spray on nano product I used. It works great but you have to use a wax removing car wash so it will stick.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,042 Posts
Reading all the posts it sounds like the prep work is the most important part and you need to have the paint almost perfect including nicks and chips fixed first. Once the ceramic coating is on you are stuck with whatever was there to begin with. I would want to see at least about 5 or more of their finished work before spending that kind of money. I'll stick with what I do for now. Just my observation and 2 cents and we all know what that is worth.

Reactions: S2NAZ

·
Spirited driver!
1,532 Posts
I'm with you Auggie. I have seen plenty of examples that show the concept works but the key is the prep. I was going to have it done but since my flames are are on top of the clear coat, the detailer was concerned that applying a ceramic coat direct to it would not be the same as putting on top of a clear coat and could not be sure of the outcome. I'm not spending $2,000 to experiment on my flame job! Back to F11 I guess.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
I think you get it Auggie. The prep when applying any kind of new product needs a good cleaning or clay bar to gather the best result. My F11 is amazing to use without much need for a wax removal product but I still clay bared it first. It creates a lot of extra work for daily driving when you have to keep going through an elaborate process. So a wash every couple weeks, some time spent taking care of some rock chips then the F11 makes pretty quick work of it all.

Reactions: Auggie Doggie

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I guess you missed it....but I have
put on the 5 year ceramic pro coating.
but even with doing that....I am now
adding clear bra to her.

You can never have enough protection.

Frank..
I had 3M clear bra installed on a previous SSR. Instead of chips in the hood i then had little nicks and imperfections in the clear bra that looked nearly as bad as the chips. If I did it over again i would just touch up with Dr. Colorchip once a year and keep it waxed well. JM2C

Reactions: Auggie Doggie
1 - 20 of 20 Posts