Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up my 04 yeller yesterday finally. Need some help. The driver window switch just works after fiddling with it. I have to work it back and forth a few times then it will lower window. Wants to go all the way down and not stop when I let off the button. Are there replacement switches available and does the cover plate just pry up to come off.

Second the button that does the fuel avg 9n the steering wheel is very stiff. Is there a replacement for it available? Thanks for the help and I did try a search,but guess I'll have to be soon fed for awhile.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
19,727 Posts
Contact dicktator on this forum he may recommend cleaning switches first . I’ve seen him replace the bulbs in those switches on steering wheel I will bet he knows

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Yes there are both switches still available. Yes again on the shifter plate lifting straight up. It is, however, a real exercise in faith and patience. There are 4 clips that are put into a pretty flimsy plastic strip and lifting it straight up flexes your nerves to the shudder point, for sure. There are instructions to remove the plate and steering wheel in Dictators How To Do It in the DIY library.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.I'll look at the how to again.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
841 Posts
Dave

I will be in Wichita-Derby at the end of September for my 50 year class reunion. I would be happy to meet up and talk SSR.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
973 Posts
... The driver window switch just works after fiddling with it. I have to work it back and forth a few times then it will lower window. Wants to go all the way down and not stop when I let off the button. Are there replacement switches available and does the cover plate just pry up to come off.
Dave,

1. If the window DOWN button is more than momentarily pressed, the windows are designed to go full DOWN without stopping. This is normal.

2. Yes, the cover plate just pries off. 4x metal tabs hold it in place ... those tabs are very strong and you will think you are going to break something when you pry the cover plate off. Use a plastic pry bar to get the edge up enough to grab with your fingers, then pull up with even pressure around the perimeter of the cover plate. Use some "oomph" and it will pop off (... and make you think you broke something when the tabs finally release!)

Cheers, and good luck to you,
Carl

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be in Wichita-Derby at the end of September for my 50 year class reunion. I would be happy to meet up and talk SSR.

Tom
Tom sounds good.Your another old fart too.My 50th is this year in Haysville.Campus grad.PM me your info and I'll do the same. I'm a newbe to the SSR,but have loved them since I saw the first one.

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,623 Posts
This sounds Far Out In Left Field, Dave . . . but it may solve your problem.

While at one of many Tech Sessions years ago, someone was demonstrating a way to remove "dust and dirt" from in and around the upward facing Console Buttons. They just placed the end of a vacuum cleaner suction tube over the switch.

Definitely worth a try as you may just have a little dirt in your switch.

As for going all the way down . . . that's the plan. A convenience original design feature.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,393 Posts
I think Carl is thinking about normal GM products. Our '04 and '06 are opposite! Just a tap on the button = Automatic all the way open. Hold button Down = STOPS the window where it is, when you let off the button.---Maybe ours are wrong!?

Nick

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'll give that a try.It goes up easy,but you have to really push it hard to get it to go down.Sometimes even have to hit it several times. The button the wheel is the same. Push hard and it'll work.It actually is getting a little easier the more I use the fuel button.

Well now I have a couple more questions. On the bed cover, isn't the gas shocks supposed to lift the cover enough to get your fingers under it? Mine just barely pops up.Would heayier shocks lift it more? Sorry for the questions,but inquiring minds want to know.

·
BLU SSR
3,465 Posts
Dave, That's a common problem--your gas cylinders are just weak from age and need to be replaced. Go to the Simple Engineering site and Mike can fix you up with new ones. Measure the extended length (top open all the way) on yours to make sure you get the right ones. They are easy to change , but a helper to support on the lid when you remove each cylinder is helpful so it doesn't hit you on the head--don'task how I know this! Good Luck an ENJOY your new TOY. :00000732: :blur: :ssr

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
973 Posts
I think Carl is thinking about normal GM products. Our '04 and '06 are opposite! Just a tap on the button = Automatic all the way open. Hold button Down = STOPS the window where it is, when you let off the button.---Maybe ours are wrong!?

Nick
Nick, yes, you are correct ... my explanation was backwards. Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts