Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy some ramps to use at home that are strong and safe to support the SSR.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
:|

Although I have a floor jack, to use it at my age and then crawl down under and put down jack stands is a pain. Recently decided to get some ramps for myself. After googling various ramp makers, I went with Race Ramps.

They are very pricey....:frown2: But from what I found in reviewing many, they are the best and fail safe.......(though you would not catch me using even them without a couple of jack stands appropriately placed too).

I saw too many negative responses on the (other) well known brand as to sudden failures.:surprise:

So, I ponied up for the expensive ones that even though I will use them rarely, will do what I want when I need to get under the ride.:nerd:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I still have a pair of the old steel ones and use them for very light weight stuff only. I also have a pair of the plastic ones and they seem to be much stronger and more secure. I am not sure what brand they are or where I got them from but they seem much better than the old steel ones. The steel ones tend to want to move around very easily.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,918 Posts
Rhino Ramps and Race Ramps are both highly Rated and most popular.
Harbor Freight plastic Ramps are decent and cheap, and almost identical to Rhino ramps. A friend has had them for several years and used them with his old mustang, explorer and toyota truck with no issues. However if you are working under the truck on any ramps use jackstands also as a safety backup.
Greg

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I checked mine today and they are the Rhino Ramps. I liked to set my race car up on the front wheels sitting on the ramps and always kept the rear end on Jack Stands. The race cars were always light so I never worried about them on the ramps. One thing to keep in mind with the way they list the rating on these ramps. They will list them rated for 12,000 pounds but read the label, that is for ramps on all four corners. The pair of ramps are rated for 6,000 pounds and while that is more than enough for our trucks it is misleading with the tag showing rated for 12,000 pounds. I do like the plastic ones better than the old metal ones because they have more surface area to sit on. I have seen many of the old metal ramps kick out or tip over when trying to pull on or off of them.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,362 Posts
Ha! this dumb but----after a few times driving my old hot rods onto them, especially 4 speeds, and almost driving off the top/back side, I started using a floor jack! Then I'd put the ramps under the tires, and drive off when I finished. 30 years later the solution was a lift!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I also have Race Ramps for my Corvette so if you buy a set for your SSR make sure they are the version that is rated for higher weight, I think the standard ones are 3000 pounds per ramp and the HD are 5000 pounds per ramp.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I also have Race Ramps for my Corvette so if you buy a set for your SSR make sure they are the version that is rated for higher weight, I think the standard ones are 3000 pounds per ramp and the HD are 5000 pounds per ramp.
I bought the race ramps for my Corvette as well. They're rated for 1500 lbs. per ramp, so 3000 lbs. per set.

You can have any set made HD which brings the rating up to 2500 lbs. per ramp.

I have hard time getting the whole 5000 lb. truck up on two ramps so I would think it would be pointless to order the HD.

They advertise they're good for any vehicles up to 6000 lbs.

My two cents.

Larry

·
Registered
193 Posts
A couple of marked down 2x6s from the Home Despot. Cut at a 45 angle and screw together. Leave about five inches for each “step”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
What is you Life / Investment worth??

The R weighs in at over 4,500 lbs. :surprise: going for cheep undersized supports e.g. jacks, stands, ramps when your life is at stake is a gamble I would never take. :crying: Use good AMERICAN made UL tested products ONLY. :grin2: Just my 2 cents worth of advice.:wink2:

Long may you ALL run.

Note: I especially like the idea of jacking the R then placing the ramps under the tires VERY much.:grin2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ramps

I like the jack-up first and also the "lift" idea, too. However, my second garage was built with an old fashioned "grease pit" which eliminates the need for ramps, jacks, or lifts for grease or oil changes. (I'd love to have a lift, however.) :purple:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
I like the jack-up first and also the "lift" idea, too. However, my second garage was built with an old fashioned "grease pit" which eliminates the need for ramps, jacks, or lifts for grease or oil changes. (I'd love to have a lift, however.) :purple:
As long as you do not miss and drive into it or walk into it while the car is gone, you are fine with a pit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts