Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have never stored a vehicle for winter months (never cared about a car this much, to think that I was going to sell the thing...).

Please let me know what you think:

1- I have it in an attached garage (temp won't go below 36) and will be covered with an indoor cover (plush)

2- I changed the insurance coverage to have total loss, theft and vandalism ONLY. this brought down my rate to $50 every 6 months from $400. All I have to do is to give them a call and tell them I want to drive it again. I can even leave a message on voice-mail.

My questions:

1- Do I have to do anything special like start it up once a day or disconnect something to help maintain it properly?

2- Am I nuts for storing this car since it won't be a limited car and should just enjoy it on good days of winter? Thought this may help resale and I hate salt...

D

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded, I've been storing cars for 30 years with no problems, here's what I would suggest.

1. Fresh tank of high grade gas, also check all your fluids to make sure there at there proper level.

2. You should have your SSR clean and dry ( top to bottom )before you cover it.

3. Get a Battery Tender to connect to the battery, this is much better then any trickle charger. I'll find you the link to the best place to buy one from and post it later.

4. Inflate the tires to about ten pounds over factory specs, if you want to place safety stands under the rear axle and front lower control you can but with todays tires it's not necessary.

There's no need to start the SSR until you're ready to drive it in the spring.

Al

N

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded said:

2- Am I nuts for storing this car since it won't be a limited car and should just enjoy it on good days of winter? Thought this may help resale and I hate salt...

Look at the first generation camaros. The well kept, most original cars generally get the highest prices. Production numbers on the 67, 68 and 69 camaros were somewhere around 250,000 per year. As you probably already know, there are to be somewhere around 3500 2003's, 9000 2004's and 14-15,000 2005's and beyond. I almost hope they retire this model in a few years just to make it more valuable and more exclusive.

But I think the most important thing is that you enjoy the vehicle today! Who knows how long any of us will be around. Knock on wood!

Todd

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DarkAge, Thank you very much for a much needed post. Your response covered everything. I will do all that on Newyears day . Thanks a million.

Nowand then, well said. I will store this winter to keep it crsip. We'll see how the market is for tne next winter.

D

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded, Glad to help, as I said get a Battery Tender and avoid using a any battery charger, even if it's set at trickle charge.

F

·
0 Posts
So far so good. I also suggest adding a fuel storage treatment (Stabil comes to mind), a custom vehicle cover and keep a watch for critters. Some of my customers did everything right except for mice causing $$$$ damage by chewing/urine/etc.:cool

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
should I drive the car in my drive way to get rid of the critters? How do I inspect for them? I do not look forward to your answer...:)

D

·
0 Posts
If you have the room get yourself a four post lift, one of the best investments you'll ever make.

F

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded said:
should I drive the car in my drive way to get rid of the critters? How do I inspect for them? I do not look forward to your answer...:)
Look for signs of mouse/rodent/roach droppings etc. If in doubt call a pest control person which is not a bad idea to do once a year for the homestead anyway. :cool

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dark_Age_53 said:
If you have the room get yourself a four post lift, one of the best investments you'll ever make.
how much room do I need and how much is a four post lift?

·
Registered
30 Posts
WINTER SOLUTIONS

I MOVED TO ARIZONA IN 85, RAIN < 2 INCHES YEARLY, SNOW ONCE EVERY 10-15 YEARS, GETS BELOW 45 ABOUT 10 TIMES A YEAR, AND HUMIDITY ABOUT 20% max. SOLVES ALL MY STORAGE PROBLEMS. PLUS I HAVE AN EAGLE LIFT TO STACK MY CARS. IT'S A LOT EASIER THAN WHEN I LIVED IN MISSOURI.

D

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded, To get a full lift for your SSR you'll need to have a 12' ceiling, lesss then 12' will get you that much less of a lift. My pole barn only had a 9' ceiling but I was able to modify four of the trusses in the area I wanted to install my lift, that gave me the room I needed to get a full lift from my hoist. A lift is not only great for working on your ride it also comes in handy for detailing it also. There's an auto equipment dealer here in Michigan that had a great deal on four post lifts, I'll give them a call when they open this morning and see if the sale is still going on.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dark_Age_53 said:
redssrloaded, To get a full lift for your SSR you'll need to have a 12' ceiling, lesss then 12' will get you that much less of a lift. My pole barn only had a 9' ceiling but I was able to modify four of the trusses in the area I wanted to install my lift, that gave me the room I needed to get a full lift from my hoist. A lift is not only great for working on your ride it also comes in handy for detailing it also. There's an auto equipment dealer here in Michigan that had a great deal on four post lifts, I'll give them a call when they open this morning and see if the sale is still going on.
I have half that. Forget about the lift for now. :banghead

The link you sent me sells the battery tenders a lot cheaper than other places. Is there a reason? Do you know those guys? reputable? Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded said:
The link you sent me sells the battery tenders a lot cheaper than other places. Is there a reason? Do you know those guys? reputable? Thanks.
Yes they do sell at a much better price then anyone else, I got the link from a person who I trust and knows were to get the best deals. I ordered mine and got it just like they advertised, this is a busy time of year for anyone selling them so check to see if they have them in stock ( as big as these guys are I'd bet they keep them in stock ). If it makes you feel better you could always pay over MSRP from someone else.:jester

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the installation of this battery tender hard? One of my friends who stires his Viper told me that he just starts it up every 3 weeks and that's enough. What do you think?

D

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded said:
Is the installation of this battery tender hard? One of my friends who stires his Viper told me that he just starts it up every 3 weeks and that's enough. What do you think?
My battery tender came with two separate ends. One has aligator clips and the other has washer like ends which can be bolted permanent to the battery. I have the second one fastened to my wifes Honda since she doesn't ride it very often even in the summer. The battery tender will only charge when the battery drops below a certain level unlike a trickle charger which charges all the time. I have two of the tenders since I have my Harley and Corvette to keep charged through the winter plus my wifes Honda and lawn tractor. I wouldn't start the engine if it had a tender on the battery and stabil in the fuel tank. My 2 cents.

D

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded said:
The hardest part about installing a Battery Tender on your SSR is where the battery is located, once you get to the battery all you need to do is connect the aligator clips to the battery like Dragon
mentioned. If for some reason you want to start the SSR you should disconnect the Battery Tender first.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your replies guys. So my question is can you achieve the same thing (tender and stabil) by starting the car once a week or so? Which one is essentially better for the car?

Once you connect to the battery, how do you close the hood? It has to stay open, right?

D

·
0 Posts
redssrloaded said:
Thanks for your replies guys. So my question is can you achieve the same thing (tender and stabil) by starting the car once a week or so? Which one is essentially better for the car?

Once you connect to the battery, how do you close the hood? It has to stay open, right?
If you want to start it instead of using a Battery Tender I quess you can, you'll need to run the engine for twenty minutes or so. If you don't get enough heat into the motor you run the risk of having moister problems, moister can build up in your cats, exhaust and in the motor it's self.

The battery on the SSR is located in the rear, here's link talking about it. http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392&highlight=battery

The Battery Tender is the way to go but it's your choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts