Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We changed the ignition switch and were able to get the key out, but nothing happened in terms of the car starting. Changed the battery and it turned on. Yay....it hadn’t been driven in about 7 months so we decided to take it for a spin rather than shutting it back off.

When we got to the gas station it wouldn’t turn off....the key came out but the car kept running. Brought it back home took the battery out since we couldn’t find a way to shut it down. The part that has the release button to get the key out of the ignition seems to have a broken piece...I believe it is called the steering lock??? Is this correct? If so we believe that is the problem. We went to autozone and they said no auto stores carry that piece. Is this true, and if so where am I supposed to get a replacement and how much do they typically cost. Today I’ve replaced the ignition switch and battery.

Need more info if you all can provide more insight and clarity.

My father passed almost 2 months ago and my mother, brother and I are trying to figure all this out. So far this website has been my guide and it has been a God send. ??

·
Premium Member
19,731 Posts
Might be a dealer part only if it’s not shutting off are you sure the switch was put in right

·
BLU SSR
3,466 Posts
Sarah, Where are you? Someone may be close and could offer hands-on help. In any case smarter-than-I advice will be along soon. stick with it and Good luck! :blur:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother may not have put everything back together correctly when he was replacing the ignition switch.

We are located in Pasadena, Tx.

From what I googled, the part that seems to have been broken is called the steering lock according to GM. At this point this is the only thing we have to replace now since it is what was keeping us from shutting the car down.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
My brother may not have put everything back together correctly when he was replacing the ignition switch.

From what I googled, the part that seems to have been broken is called the steering lock according to GM. At this point, this is the only thing we have to replace now since it is what was keeping us from shutting the car down.
Welcome to the Texas R's. I will put out an email to all the Houston area fanatics and see what we can do to help you. Please, email me with your contact info. [email protected]

I don't know about the steering lock problem, but if the ignition switch sprockets are not aligned right on installation will continue to run with the key out.

Let see if I can get someone to help you.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,014 Posts

From what I googled, the part that seems to have been broken is called the steering lock according to GM. At this point this is the only thing we have to replace now since it is what was keeping us from shutting the car down.
I’m thinking the switch wasn’t indexed quite properly before it was installed. Subsequently when the key rotates back the switch is still in the “run” position.

I’ve successfully replaced mine and am willing to try and help. I live across town in Pearland. LMK.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,394 Posts
Lots of very knowledgeable SSR owners in Texas ,I am sure one will be along soon . Looks like you are close to Houston area , there is help close by. :blur:
:agree:agree:agree:agree -----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then when you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,014 Posts
Hi Robert,

From what I’ve learned we need to replace this piece since it is now broken. I’m going to call dealerships I’m the morning to see if they have it in stock and where I can purchase it from.
Understood. I’ve initiated contact to see what more I can learn. I actually have a spare electrical part, and my original, which would seem to be the cause of the vehicle not switching back from “run” to “off”. Email me your phone number and I’ll give you a call when I get a little more info.

- Robert

P.S. We’ve made email contact, exchanged numbers and are working the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts