Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! Not sure what happened but it may have something to do with my car cover that I just bought. I ordered a coverking Mosom Plus custom cover and placed it on the car last week. It’s an all weather, breathable cover that is custom fit to the SSR. Well it rained pretty hard this past week and I had the cover on. I would periodically lift the cover everyday to check for moisture and it always seemed dry. Well on Friday, once the raIn let up, I took the cover off and drove the R to work. Later on in the afternoon when getting gas, I noticed this bright white spot over the back window. At first I thought it was a reflection but unfortunately it wasn’t. I tried cleaning it off and waxed the area to no avail. Luckily this is the only spot that I see on the entire truck. I did some research and they said that this can happen with car covers that get wet and then dry. But the whole car cover was drenched and then dried and this is the only spot (so thankful). Not sure if a cat got on top of the car and sprayed it what but I’m at my wits end. Out of the sunlight or when the R is wet, the spot appears to be light brown splotch. When the sun hits it, the spots is bright white.
So I’m looking for advice on how to address this. Any suggestions for the waxes or compounds to use is appreciated. The one sure fire way to get rid of it is to drop the top(which is always a good thing ?).
Thanks again for your advice. I’m gradually learning what NOT to do to my SSR-and using a cover outside is a mistake that I regret. Wish I had a garage.
Brian :silver:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
This could be something that leached out of the cover material and dried onto the clearcoat kind of like a water spot. Use a little polishing compound by hand on the area. That should pull it off the clearcoat then re-wax.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This could be something that leached out of the cover material and dried onto the clearcoat kind of like a water spot. Use a little polishing compound by hand on the area. That should pull it off the clearcoat then re-wax.
I tried some polishing compound on my other car and it screwed up the clear coat real bad if I was him I'd try something not as abrasive first.....

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
You might want to try and get a clay bar kit and try it on it. Before doing anything maybe try sending Joshvette a message he probably knows the most about buffing and detailing on these trucks.
:agree Talk to joshvette first. No wait, first calm down, then talk to joshvette.

It's not the end of the world, there are no zombies in sight, and I'll bet $20 it can be easily fixed and you won't have to total the truck. :lol

Seriously, it's going to be OK. Would I lie to you, my oldest and dearest friend... if it didn't involve money or sex?

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
First use a wax & grease remover.
Then use a compound polish that is for clear coats ”ONLY”.
If this doesn’t take care of it then Take it to a detail or body shop. There they can wet sand and polish it. If they can’t remove it then it has bleach the clear coat and will have to be refinished.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,278 Posts
Not being there, it is hard to tell what the problem is, but the milky paint effect is a common issue when using a car cover in the rain. Most likely, no amount of rubbing will remove it as it sounds like moisture has seeped into the clear coat. I would first try to keep the car in the sunlight for a few hot days and see if the cloud gradually disappears. During this time it would not hurt to use a clay bar or some mild wax cleaners to see if you can take off the damage as it might be a chemical from the cover. Do not use wax or polish as they might seal the pores in the paint and make it harder or impossible to get the moisture out. I would probably only use the clay bar to see if the damage was on top of the paint.

If after a few weeks the spot is still there you could try some alcohol, spread it over the affected area, it might pull out the moisture the same way it got in. Maybe put a small cloth over the area, then wet the area that has the problem and keep it wet for a few minutes to try to get the alcohol to get into the area well.

If all else fails, applying heat from a heat gun might work. Make sure the paint does not get too hot. I would buy laser temperature meter to make sure the paint did not get above 150 or so.

If all that does not work then you might need some professional paint cleaning (if the damage is not too deep) or paintwork done.........

134 Posts
I am sure that it will come out with proper buffing.
However.....I would not do it yourself. Dont even
think of taking it out with rubbing compound. It will
leave swirl marks that will Never go away, if not creating
more problems that could make the situation even worse. Actually...
Throw it away !! You should never have to use such a harsh
compound like that.
But let the pro's deal with it first.
Then you can go back to your regular cleaning
and upkeep.

Unless of course.....you are a wiz with the buffer.

Frank..

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
First of all Bee75 :00000732: to the SSRfanatic Nation or Family !!! As you can see it is a welcome and caring bunch of guys & gals. Heed their advice, especially xoxoxoBruce, "Stay calm, don't panic" I know I felt that way when I first got our 05 9 years ago. After coming home from a lengthy cruise I would go over it with a "fine tooth comb" and fret over a little rock chip on the hood or front splitter. No more, I just touch it up, try to put a smile on my face and say or at least I try to say "Bob, she's 15 years old and you enjoy driving her, so don't have a stroke over a little rock chip" Broke the front Splitter twice ... Bondo'ed that sucker had her painted. Nobody looks down there anyway. If it wasn't on there when I bought, I wouldn't add it but truthfully I like the way it looks. Peace Brother Bee75 and Good luck on getting your "water mark" removed. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Where are you located?? Someone in the Forum maybe close by that have experienced this before.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,394 Posts
Where are you located?? Someone in the Forum maybe close by that have experienced this before.
:agree :agree Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone who has offered assistance to me thus far. It means a lot to have people willing to help me out. Once it stops raining here in Miami, I’m hoping that the sun will help dry this out assuming that moisture is trapped underneath the clear coat. If it doesn’t, I may try the hair dryer route carefully. Hopefully that will clear it up.
Brian

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has offered assistance to me thus far. It means a lot to have people willing to help me out. Once it stops raining here in Miami, I’m hoping that the sun will help dry this out assuming that moisture is trapped underneath the clear coat. If it doesn’t, I may try the hair dryer route carefully. Hopefully that will clear it up.
Brian
Florida?? Dude! You have a LOT of help near you! someone in Fl will surely reach out to you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
This happened to me this past winter. After a couple of days of rain I took my car cover off and the hood and trunk were stained. So that's the end of me using a car cover except for indoor use.
John F.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,438 Posts
Sorry I'm so late to this but my suggestion without knowing what's actually damaged the clear coat is:

First try a soapy water and vinegar mix to wash the area and dry it. The acidic content of the vinegar may help diminish the spot. Sometimes on light water spots this helps remove them.

Next if that doesn't work, try a clay bar the area with a soapy water solution. Claybar will not remove water spots or scratches but it's a good next step just to check off the list. ;)

Next I would try something like an adhesive remover or denatured alcohol or something of that sort. Use it sparingly and wipe it off with a water wet MF towel. Don't let the chemicals sit on the surface too long, just rub it in for 15 seconds and wipe it off.

Next, I would try a chemical cleaner such as a cleaner wax.

If all that doesn't work, you might consider a light abrasive polish like Scratch X or call a professional detailer. You have many detailers to choose from in Miami, do your research and find one who's got good reviews and understands paint correction. A real pro may not want to come out for just a spot so you may have to pony up and get the whole car cleaned and the spot on top of it all but who knows??

The problem with using compounds by hand is that most abrasives polishes and compounds these days are designed to be used with machines and you just can't mimic the speed or motions that machines can produce. Many products use diminishing abrasives and will fracture and break down as they are being worked in but you need a machine to do that, if they do not break down you're just rubbing heavy particles across the finish and leaving more scratches behind then you are removing and it will look hazy.

Personally I'm not sure I would apply heat to a damaged clear coat area when you're not sure what caused the damage. If it's a chemical damage, heating up whatever chemical residue is still there may not be a good idea.

You can always call me for more info or advise. I may not know the solution but I can prob point you in the right direction, hopefully.

My info is on my website, Dallas Car Detailing by Ottmann Detailing
Josh

·
DFW TX Crew
1,438 Posts
This happened to me this past winter. After a couple of days of rain I took my car cover off and the hood and trunk were stained. So that's the end of me using a car cover except for indoor use.
John F.
What did you do to remedy the stains??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts